Sponsored by:

timing set torrington bearing not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing set torrington bearing not working

i purchased this set http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....3&autoview=sku

the problem is when i install the torrington bearing between the cam sprocket and the retaining plate it locks down the sprocket and wont move if you remove the brass torrington bearing it seems to work fine can i run it without that washer or is it manditory has anyone had this problem
Old 10-20-2009, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

i put the dial indicator on it and the runout without the bearing/washer is .005 which i would think is ok but then what would the washer/bearing be for
Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The bushing is to prevent the gear from wearing the face of the block. In this set up the bronze bushing will wear insted of the block. A torrington bearing, is basically a cage full of roller bearings sandwiched between two steel shims. In the case of that, the bearing bears the load and nothin should wear out. Here's a pic of a torrington bearing, but to answer your question the bushing should be there and I don't know why it's binding up. Sometimes the block or cam sprocket need to be modified to work properly.
Attached Images  
Old 10-20-2009, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

ok thanks ive seen them torrington bearing in a trans and torque converter just never new the correct name for them i called trick flow they said to check the runout without the washer and it needed to be .002-.007 then if not use the washer to take up the space and make the runout correct so i guess i don't need it from what they are saying mine was .005
Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There have been cases where the front of the cam was not cut correctly and the cam bound. I would do some measurements before just leaving the Torrington out of the assembly. It may be the canary in the mine and warning you of another issue.

Quick Reply: timing set torrington bearing not working