Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mis-shift fail. Motor dead. Learn

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mis-shift fail. Motor dead. Learn

I 2-3-2 shifted. Engine shutdown during the shuttering that ensued after the fail shift. Clutched it and the car snapped back on and drove fine for the next 4 miles when it decided to shut off again. I coasted to the side, let it sit, checked the vitals and cranked it back up and it ran with a slight ignition miss. On the way home the check engine light came on and then started flashing. So I broke it down today to figure out the cause of the misfire. My first thought was a broken or bent pushrod.

Pulled the valve covers. Pushrods, rockers, springs all check out fine. Valves dont seem bent by eye, but who knows. Plugs all look good.

Pulled the codes, piston 5 had 567,000 misfires, and piston 4 had 790 misfires.

Compression check, piston 5 75psi, piston 4 125psi. So I shoot 150 psi into the spark plug inlet and to my surprise all the pressure does not come out the valve seal into the intake and exhaust like I hoped it would, but into the crankcase and valley.

So, not valvetrain related. I can not describe how upset I am. My educated guess is a slight bent rod for cylinder 5, or a slightly damaged piston assembly.

Good side, car runs fine just missing a bit at idle so i can limp it around until I get a new setup.

Bad side, I just bought the car last month. I am fail.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Live and learn every one has had at least one fail in their life when it comes to cars really its a learning curve. Me you I would side line it if you can until you get it fixed. Being that it is a Corvette the engines are testy if something goes wrong and it will only get more expensive as time goes on. If it is your only mode of transportation then you my friend are in a world of hurt. Me you I would look on ebay or anywhere you could to get a set of rings, or maybe piston assy for cheap in better condition that yours, and apparently you know enough to maybe break the motor down your self. That right there is going to save you pocket book.

Good Luck
Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Currently looking for a LS1 shortblock, if anyone knows of any thing in FL or somewhat close let me know by PM. Thnks
Old 10-25-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to hear it, I did the same thing about a year ago. I was a little more lucky than you, I bent a bunch of valves and left marks in a few pistons. Hopefully you find a cheap shortblock soon.