Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my vette back with JPR's old motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003 | 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use a katech oil pump and its working great. The oil o-ring that they are talking about seals the pickup tube to the pump. Like a five dollar part. Don't run the engine until you get this figured out. Much easier to swap the pump then the rotating assembly.
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:18 PM
JS
10 Second Club

U better check ASAP with a MECH. gauge or you'll have a pile of junk.It could be a pump,rings,bearings and its going to get worse.

I hope u have a warranty?

JS

Last edited by JS; 12-08-2003 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the pressure should be checked with a mechanical guage, I know I would feel folish if it it ended up being a sendir ir the guage.
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

That whole warranty thing sure doesn't seem to be getting much of an answer at this point.

Was the motor sold as is?
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Question 1
I think the pressure should be checked with a mechanical gauge, I know I would feel foolish if it ended up being a sending ir .

Question 2
Was the motor sold as is?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Why would I feel foolish? JPR and JD tuned the car. In fact I was charged $625 plus $400 to tune it. Do you think that when the car got hot THEY should have noticed the oil pressure? Do you think that when they noticed that the car was running soooo hot that they had to wait additional time between pulls that THEY checked the oil pressure? Please tell me why I should feel foolish? I am not a mechanic. I don't build motors. I would think that oil pressure would be a big issue.

The motor was sold with a 12 month/24,000 mile warranty. I have ALL the correspondences between JPR and me regarding this transaction. NOW, JPR tries selling me a bag of BS and says the warranty is only for 12/12 and parts only. Emails prove differently. Not to mention I KNOW that other guys have gotten full warranties with parts and labor. (Please post for me about your warranties) I would have NEVER given Joe a dime if I had even thought that what he faxed me today was what he was going to give me (this is not what was discussed). I don't think ANY of you would have given Joe your business with a contract like this either! He told me that this motor had only a very few miles on it and that he had only taken it to the track a few times.

I'll do one better...
get someone who knows how to post a fax on the Internet to call me. My phone is 803-798-7654. My name is George. I will post the "warranty" that Joe sent me. It is a JOKE!!!! I wish it was a funny joke but it is not.

I am a stand up guy. IF the car comes back with a clean bill of health I will state so. I will gladly apologize for my posts. HOWEVER, this in no way negates that fact that JPR has been tough to deal with.

Once I have the facts (from Chevy) I will post the bill and the results. I will need someone's help to do this.
Old 12-09-2003 | 01:29 AM
Restricted User

You know George ppl might want a copy of those emails, I would back that up. Big brother may be watching.

Yes, you can have to much oil pressure, almost as bad as not enough.

Yes they should have known what oil was in it, and it had low oil pressure. Yes they shouldnt have any problems standing behind their product...sorry that one slipped!

You dont need anything other than another stock LS1 pump. They hold pressure just fine, when seated with the o-ring that is.

My suggestion at this point, take it to a dealer or reputable shop and pay to have them use a mechanics oil pressure gauge on it. Hell, watch them do it so they dont just say oh yeah we turned the key and its low man. Then have it in writing from them. Then take to another unaffiliated shop and have them check it. I t may cost you a couple dollars, but if the oil pressure is under spec, then I am positive JPR/JD WILL reimburse you for the checks since it would be part of the warranty claim. If it is with in spec, keep the recorded log of pressure from both shops and when there is a problem you will have it logged.

I really hate to see stuff like this. It is only common sense vs rush job....should be a new table in LS1 Edit!
Old 12-09-2003 | 01:38 AM
Restricted User

Some ppl need to talk to Terry Wilkes. This is one stand up make your life happy if it rains kinda guy. He may or may not have the TOP product available, but when it comes to Customer Service and satisfaction he is #1.

George, treat it like any warranty/insurance claim, get two unrelated shops to do a test on it, again, do not lead into why, other than suspected low oil pressure. They dont need to know all this crap. Then save them, send a copy to JRP/JD. If it is under sat, do not drive it anymore, until they get back to you and advise you what to do at that point. If your original agreement said he will warranty all the components etc...look for labor as well. If your covered take it somewhere it will be safe and cared for, have work done and let JPR/JD reimburse you, or forward the bill. I have known shops to do the repair work and then sign off on you side when collecting from a different shop. Maybe you will be lucky and it is PCM misread, or sensor related. Maybe just a filter change will be good. Or.....

good-luck.
Charlie.
Old 12-09-2003 | 01:53 AM
8 Second Club

I idle at roughly 30-33 in the heat of the summer it was at 25psi one day but thats it. I have a Solid Roller 422 with a HUGE cam.
Old 12-09-2003 | 06:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Another downfall of low oil pressure is that the lifters can collapse because of low oil supply.
Your oil pressure is to low for me.
Old 12-09-2003 | 08:25 AM
On The Tree

A general rule of thumb has always been 10 psi of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm of crank speed, but that is based on what you get with a MECHANICAL guage, not some factory POS. I know you said that you haven't taken the engine over 2500 rpm, but have you given it WOT at all? I would be more concerned with what the oil pressure does then. It should jump up quite a bit when you mat the throttle. If not, you have a problem.

Now as for the engine having "loose tolerances" because it's set up for "racing", who is this ******* joker trying to kid? This isn't an all out racing engine with aluminum rods, a huge solid roller, and an 8000+ red line. Nobody sets tolerances for a high performance street/strip engine loose anymore. The tighter, the better, for just this reason: Oil Control. It sounds like this crook, and I do mean crook, has sold you a real winner. It probably has had a hard life, and the clearances are loose because the bearings have been pounded out of it. There is no way that this thing should need 20W-50 oil in it. That sounds like something a shady con-man would do just to get rid of a bad engine.

This is the second such thread I've read about this crook, and I'm starting to see a trend forming. Hmmm, he starts working for someone else, and now he doesn't feel as though he has to provide the level of customer service he once did. Now if he has too many problems with warranty work, he can just blow it off, he and JD give you the run-around and hope you give up and go away. If not, he now has another option... Be wary of this kind of behavior, as it is the forerunner to his declaring bankruptcy. He already has another job lined up, so he declares chapter 7, and now nobody can collect a dime from him, and you, his loyal customers, are left with his joy-stick broke off in you.

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong about this, but I see this as a possible end-scenario, and I don't want to see anyone else get burned.

Good luck to you guys that are still doing business with JP and I hope he really is the stand-up guy everyone thinks he is. Just make sure you get everything promised in WRITING, BEFORE YOU SIGN THE CHECK.
Old 12-09-2003 | 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

This needs to be taken care of ASAP. I would NOT drive the car until it is looked at. With the warranty agreed in email you have full legal recourse if necessary.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 12-09-2003 | 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

"Do you think that when they noticed that the car was running soooo hot that they had to wait additional time between pulls that THEY checked the oil pressure? Please tell me why I should feel foolish? I am not a mechanic. I don't build motors. I would think that oil pressure would be a big issue. "

All im saying is that Im sure more then one person has replaced an oil pump just becuase the guage said it wasnt putting out enough presure.
That being said if the guage does turn out accurate and youve only got 10-20 psi, I would have to lean towards internal problems. Run 20/50 is it a diesel, If it were me I would be pissed, I cant see any reason a street car engine cant be run on strait 5 weight, IM kida of suprised he didnt just recomend draining out the oil and replaceing it with 90weight.
Old 12-09-2003 | 04:42 PM
On The Tree

I had a low pressuse situation on a car i worked on,it turns out when we did the cam swap an put a katech pump on with a double roller chain the spacer on the drivers side of the pump is not mirror image its kinda got an offset hole that looks centerd but isn't if it's in backwards it will give oil pressure like your describing

just one more possibility something a dealer might not check

ggod luck
Old 12-09-2003 | 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Default Run Round?????????????

2 Things--i Have Not Given Anyone A Run Around--i Am Taking Care Of These Issues Asap---i Have Called George Culli--4-5 Times Today Along With E-mails--no Response.

George Bought Jor Princes Used Engine He Had In His Car--this Is Not An Excuse Fir Anything--but He Didn't Want A New Engine Done.

Also The Tune Was 625.00 On The Dyno--custom Done To The Car.

The 400.00 Was For Finding Out What Was Wrong With George's Car--
Not Engine Related--
1-fuel Pressure Testing
2-data Logging
3-removing Exhaust System--the Car Was On And Off The Dyno Several Times To Cure Several Exhaust Restrictions
4-different Maf Meters--george's Was Ported And Not Responding Properly.
5-numerous Ls1 Tunes To Help Diagnose The Vehicle
This Was For 4-5 Hours Worth Of Additional Work--which George Was Called About And Authorized--so Please Don't Bad Mouth Me!!!

George--call Me In Order For Me To Help You--instead Of Doing It Behind The Keyboard!!!

I Am Sure Joe Prince Will Take Care Of Any Issues---he Said He Would-
So Again Give Him A Chance--

Thanks
Joe Dutkiewicz

Shop Owner
Old 12-09-2003 | 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Retro/JD,

It's good to see this is on the way to getting taken care of.

I know the engine isn't new but how did this engine get out of your shop with the low ~20 pound oil pressure, after all that time you said was spent on the dyno?

If the engine is damaged due to all the time on your dyno for the tune with low oil pressure will that be taken care of too?

Just asking the questions we all wondering about...

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 12-09-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2003 | 10:53 PM
Restricted User

I dont think anyone was claiming highway robbery on the $400 problem solving, although $625 is a little high for what I see and get. I would venture to say $400-500 is the national standard.

JD, you have to see it from our side, your potential customers if you will! Someone has a problem, they call you trying to fix it. It doesnt get fixed, they ask again.
Still no fix. They ask/post on here....now get lots of feedback and you, you seem to turn a deaf ear.
If nothing else, answer on here this:

1) Did you notice the low oil pressure on the extensive dyno tuning?
If so, why not tell George about it, or fix it?
If not, then how can explain not seeing it?

2) Do you really think that 20/50w is an answer for an oil related problem?
If so, you are sealing your shops fate!
If not, then is this your way to "remotely" test to diagnose the problem? Hope so.

Good luck to all involved, and contrary to any beliefs out there, this is a good place for this....it is informative, whether you like the bad publicity or not isnt a point, it is a method of learning...some ppl think its ok to run heavy oil to "solve" or fix a problem, and maybe we will all learn that there are shops out there that take after the ways T.W. from PP has shown.

Charlie.
Old 12-09-2003 | 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

s: JD/JPR With this issue and ezss issues this isn't good at all. CAT3 has it correct. Why didn't you check oil pressure on the dyno/after install of this used engine. This is far from being George C's fault. From what I see he bought a used engine that was supposed to be a good low mile high HP engine and got this instead. This problem should have been caught by your highly trained staff at JD's right after install. How hard is it to check the gauge? And the overheating on the dyno should've tipped you off to another problem too. Handing this car over to George was the last thing your highly trained staff should have done. He didn't do this work you did. Stop taking advantage of the customer and live up to the issues posted here and the warranty Joe originally gave George. Come on Joe you came across as a better person than this, make it right or be prepared to get more response like this due to poor customer service and poor workmanship. If the internet teaches you anything let it teach you that no distance will let you hide/pass off issues like this. Word gets out fast when it comes to the net. **** if I had to run 20w50 in my brand new 348 I would being pretty mad
I hope you guys get him taken care of because your business rep depends on word of mouth. When you do good work, word travels fast. When you do bad work, word travels FASTER.
J
Old 12-09-2003 | 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

When did George notice the oil pressure? Was he half way home? I haven't heard. I don't think JD would have let the car go like that. If George wasn't far away I'm sure he would have turned around. JD has already said he has called George 4-5 times as well as e-mailed him with no response. Why don't you let George and JD settle this and then post the outcome. Second guessing isn't helping anything. RAY
Old 12-10-2003 | 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

I don't want anyone to think I am dodging JD/JP because I was out all day. Got in late last night and got meetings all day today. That's life.

I did hear from Chevy. They faxed over their findings from a mechanical oil pressure test and Chevy said, "This engine is losing oil pressure due to excessive clearance in a component in the oil system. This needs to be addressed for engine longevity."

I can't believe that JD and JP put my car on a dyno and ran the snot out of it with low oil pressure. JD even told me that the car got so hot (even with all their fans on it) that they would have to wait an exceptional amount of time for it to cool between pulls. I can't imagine the damage that MUST have occurred. I don't do mechanical work for a living but it would seem to me that checking the water temperature and the oil pressure would be important during a dyno session, ESPECIALLY a session that according to JD took him 2 days to complete. In fact, he said they had 15-16 hours in tuning this car. Running up to 7000 rpm or whatever for that period of time sounds like a 500 mile race.

I also called Honeycutt Engines & Machine here in Columbia SC. Honeycutt is considered to be one of the nations best builders of mountain motors. He told me that the car "most probably" needs bottom end bearings. I didn't quite understand what he was saying except that parts in the bottom end are most likely the culprit. He also went on to tell me, with the car only producing 10psi at an idle in 34-degree temperatures that when SC warms up to 110 my oil pressure will be ??

I'm just sick. I will try to get a minute and call JD today. I don't know what can be done now except rebuild it. I'm still as to why the car was given a clean bill of health and allowed to leave the shop?

Now imagine this...
JP says that my ?warranty? is VOID if I don't change the thermostat to a 160 and change out my cat-back immediately upon arriving home. What the heck?

The cat-back was custom designed and cuts back the HP by 30hp or so (according to JD) compared to no cat-back. Joe promissed me 460-470rwhp and I only got 440 with NO exhaust system. That's another story. Don't most muffler systems restrict air and therfore reduce hp? Seems like I'm always reading... pick-up 30hp, etc. (This is no big deal a I want the hp and have ordered a GHL system anyway). But why state my warranty is VOID if I don't change it.

The thing that truly puzzles me though is the thermostat. My car had a 172 and the difference between a 160 and a 172 is nothing. So why all of the fuss?

All I know is that I bought the EXACT motor that Joe Prince had in his car... Z06 forged bottom-end, his personal heads, yella terra rockers, Joes cam, literally everything that Joe Prince had. Obviously it must not have had an issue before Joe sold it to me or he would not have sold it, right? So where did the problem with the oil pressure come from?

Last edited by George C.; 12-10-2003 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-10-2003 | 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Default Engine Repair

I can't believe that JD and JP put my car on a dyno and ran the snot out of it with low oil pressure. JD even told me that the car got so hot (even with all their fans on it) that they would have to wait an exceptional amount of time for it to cool between pulls.

GEORGE THAT IS A LIE---I NEVER TOLD YOU THAT--STRAIGHT UP THAT IS A LIE.

I DON'T RUN THE SNOT OUT OF ANYONE'S CAR EITHER---IF I SEE A PROBLEM I SHUT THEM DOWN AND CALL THE CUSTOMER.

I AM GOING TO HELP YOU OUT --I TOLD YOU I WOULD--IN E-MAILS AND MESSAGES--STILL NO ANSWER FROM YOU.I WILL TAKE CARE OF WHAT IS NEEDED TO BE DONE.

THE CAR DID NOT HAVE LOW OIL PRESSURE ON THE DYNO--I AM NOT AS STUPID AS YOU THINK I AM I AM WATCHING THOSE THINGS---

CALL ME OR I CANNOT DO ANYTHING EXCEPT READ WHAT EVERYONE ELSE THINKS ON HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

215-938-9270 SHOP

THANKS
JOE DUTKIEWICZ

JD'S PERFORMANCE CENTER--OWNER