Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on new build

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on new build

im thinking of a new build apart from my 408.. I have a ls1 short block laying around in my back yard. and i dont want it to go to waste.. So im thinking of doing a ls1 383 stroker and here is what im thinking.. It wont be a daily driver just a weekend driver to have some fun

Callies Dragonslayer LS1 Forged Crankshaft
Lunati Pro Billet 6.125" Connecting Rods
Wiseco -11cc 3.903 - 4.070 Dish Piston Set
(for f/I)purposes later on maybe
AFR LS1 225cc 72cc Chamber Cylinder Heads
custom ground camshaft.
fast102

and it would be backed up by a th400
and moser 9in
Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Looks like a fun build! What kind of power are you wanting to run? Just a few things that might be helpful:

If you aren't wanting to run more than 800hp, I would go with the Callies Compstar crank instead. It will be just as reliable and save you some money.

The -11cc pistons will lower your compression and decrease your power. I would keep your current pistons until you decide to go FI and then buy the new ones. That being said, -11cc's isn't too drastic so you should be fine if you decide to run them NA.

AFR are great heads but they are pricey. I personally like RHS more and they have a better $/hp ratio. More of a preference thing though...

The FAST 102 is an amazing manifold but once again is outrageously expensive. You have to decide if the hp is worth the money. If you are doing FI, you may as well go with an LS6 manifold. I have a side-by-side FI dyno chart of the FAST against the LS6 and I think the difference is only about 10 hp... I'll have to look it up.

Hope this helps! What are you putting it in?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm not mistaken, the FAST 102 is designed for the L92/LS3 heads that have more square intake ports. The AFR 225's use the "cathedral" style intake ports. You'll need the FAST 92 intake.

Also, I believe that the AFR 225's are not normally used on the the LS1 blocks due to the chambers/valve sizes. AFR 205's probably are the better choice or Trick Flow 215's.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Teching In

The LSXr (102) is for the L92/LS3 but they also make the LSXrt (also 102) which is made for the LS1/LS2/LS6 motors

Last edited by rtbcoop; 11-01-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Sorry, I said something incorrect earlier. The RHS heads are NOT cheaper. I would go with the AFR's
Old 11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rtbcoop
Looks like a fun build! What kind of power are you wanting to run? Just a few things that might be helpful:

If you aren't wanting to run more than 800hp, I would go with the Callies Compstar crank instead. It will be just as reliable and save you some money.

The -11cc pistons will lower your compression and decrease your power. I would keep your current pistons until you decide to go FI and then buy the new ones. That being said, -11cc's isn't too drastic so you should be fine if you decide to run them NA.

AFR are great heads but they are pricey. I personally like RHS more and they have a better $/hp ratio. More of a preference thing though...

The FAST 102 is an amazing manifold but once again is outrageously expensive. You have to decide if the hp is worth the money. If you are doing FI, you may as well go with an LS6 manifold. I have a side-by-side FI dyno chart of the FAST against the LS6 and I think the difference is only about 10 hp... I'll have to look it up.

Hope this helps! What are you putting it in?
i wanna put this into my 94z28 camaro and do a swap.
I already have a 408 in muh truck but i want some very quicker on top of that lol.. thats why im planing to do another build with my spare ls1 block i have..