Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushing coolant out of overflow at WOT only

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pushing coolant out of overflow at WOT only

Went out for some racing this weekend and the car for the first time ever was pushing coolant out of the overflow during runs. I can fill the radiator back up and it wont overflow during normal driving conditions just WOT pulls. Even driving for 30 min no problems. I checked the oil and its not milky/no white smoke from exhaust and doesnt overheat(unless WOT if i runs out of water) does it sound like my t-stat is getting partially stuck or my headgasket is blown?

car is a h/c ls1

Last edited by LT1 Trash; 11-05-2009 at 12:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Erickito21 (08-21-2020)
Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you run it at op temp, is the coolant cold or is it heating properly? i would check this and make sure your rad/hoses arent clogged. check your t stat make sure it isnt stuck. this is where i would personally start
Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just bought a t-stat. gonna change it/flush the system and see how that goes to start. the temp stays normal/doesnt push coolant at all times when driving normal
Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most likely all you need is a new radiator cap.

T-stat has nothing to do with it. If it sticks closed you will over heat no matter what your doing. If it sticks open you will over heat in city driving, but it will be fine on the highway.

Blown gasket....possible but not likely. Usually once a hole starts, you will have air getting pushed into the cooling system the whole time, whether at idle or WOT. It will just vary how much with rpm. But you probably wouldn't last much more than 15-20 minutes if a gasket is blown.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:42 PM
Teching In

I just experienced the same thing you did I just had a race and I spray 100 shot and the water came out to the reservoir do you ever get the chance to fix your problem???????
Old 08-21-2020, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,079 Likes on 2,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Erickito21
I just experienced the same thing you did I just had a race and I spray 100 shot and the water came out to the reservoir do you ever get the chance to fix your problem???????
OP hasn't been here for over 4 years.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Erickito21
How many runs before you experienced the issue? Anything changed recently (parts, tune, fuel, etc)? Are you logging cooling system pressure? If not, pressure check cap and cooling system to know if system is releasing at specified pressure. Also, does system hold at that spec'd pressure or decay? If system is sealed to spec'd pressure, most likely lifting head under high load. What fuel? Back off timing especially around peak torque to reduce cylinder pressure.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tblentrprz
How many runs before you experienced the issue? Anything changed recently (parts, tune, fuel, etc)? Are you logging cooling system pressure? If not, pressure check cap and cooling system to know if system is releasing at specified pressure. Also, does system hold at that spec'd pressure or decay? If system is sealed to spec'd pressure, most likely lifting head under high load. What fuel? Back off timing especially around peak torque to reduce cylinder pressure.
Well I just did a cam swap to a bigger one but this did happen to me one time when I have the old cam too I am running 93 octane and when that happened to me the first time I thought that the radiator cap wasn't holding the pressure that probably the spring was bad on it so I bought new one and I've been spraying it and it never happened again till last night, and for the nitrous I got the lingefilter timing retard I em taking away 2 degrees for a 100shot

Quick Reply: Pushing coolant out of overflow at WOT only