Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arias HEMI LS1 at SEMA show!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TierAngst
I think the days of 400hp with 8mpg are dead. The LSX motors are far more efficient and reliable not to mention cheaper, easier to tune and are still being constantly updated by the aftermarket. How exactly would a classic hemi be better?
If you have never owned one you you probably would not know...I was lucky enough to have campaigned a couple of Super Stock Hemi cars in my younger days ... beleive me that a 3160 pound door slammer that runs 9.40 @ 141 is a fun car to race to say the least...but back to the subject at hand ... the object of the game is to make more power....for example do you see any other engine configuration than the classic hemi being used in T/F, F/C, TA/FC, or TA/D ... nothing makes more power than the hemi ... if it did they would be using it.... you don't really think that those Aris heads were developed for fuel economy do you .... ... I beleive that for the $$$$ you would spend on hybrid engine combination using those heads would cost you more than a big inch hemi crate motor ... not to mention the cost of trying to maintain a odd ball configuration like that ... like I said I love the LS series engines but the classic hemi still rules .... my daily driver LS1 makes 452/418 and still gets 27 MPG on the highway ... that is great piece of technology .... but if you looking for all out performance get a hemi .. plus nothing looks kooler than a big phuchin hemi under the hood of a car ..

PS If you ever attend the US National at Indy do not miss the Hemi Challenge....it is the 32 fastest Super Stockers racing heads up and running mid 8 second ETs ... yeah they are all hemi powered.

Last edited by slt200mph; 11-25-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
there IS a hybrid SBC/LS block out.. SBC bottom/LS top... its... very interesting.
true
but for the cost of that block I would get a lil dart M block 427+cuin and some sick AFRs
Old 11-24-2009, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Didn't think you were talking about the pro drag cars. Though I don't think there is anything truly classic about their motors.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i rather try the 32 valve ls1 heads that are floating around.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TierAngst
Didn't think you were talking about the pro drag cars. Though I don't think there is anything truly classic about their motors.
You don't really think that those Aris heads are for street cars do you ... ... those heads are hard core race parts. In the automobile world a classic is a car that is 20 years or older. The 500 cu. in. aftermarket engines used in T/F, F/C, TA/FC, & TA/D are all based on the second generation Chrysler hemi configuration that was produced from 1964 to 1971 ... That is a classic sir.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I guess I look at it differently than you. Your words "based on" to me doesn't make it a classic, but I see your point. Seems like you would see a 50's corvette with a C5 chassis as classic where I would see it as modern. It might look the same on the outside but it drives a whole lot different. Either way it seems like these heads are more of a novelty item than anything. Like you said, for that price you might as well do the whole swap.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slt200mph
You don't really think that those Aris heads are for street cars do you ... ... those heads are hard core race parts. In the automobile world a classic is a car that is 20 years or older. The 500 cu. in. aftermarket engines used in T/F, F/C, TA/FC, & TA/D are all based on the second generation Chrysler hemi configuration that was produced from 1964 to 1971 ... That is a classic sir.
Correct me if I wrong but isnt the real reason they use the hemi is because of the strength of the block not the power it creates?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

Looks pretty bad ***, if you ask me.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those heads look bad ***, but for almost $20K they can keep em...there are more sponsors on this site than most others, and for that kind of money you can get some very serious hp/tq and have more than a set of damn cylinder heads..
Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
Correct me if I wrong but isnt the real reason they use the hemi is because of the strength of the block not the power it creates?
Before the use of aftermarket blocks in the 2nd gen hemi configuration the king of the hill in drag racing was the first generation hemi ... racers used the stock 1st generation hemi blocks and heads as the base for their top fuel cars ...... the hemi has been the king of muscle for a long time ... I am lucky enough to whitnessed all this because I was alive during the formative years of hot rodding and drag racing (50s, 60s, and 70s) when the sport took shape and inovation and thinking outside the box was the order of the day.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Launching!

You could build an ls motor with over 750hp for what they want for those heads. That is just ridiculous. Its not a chopar or a fevy..its a damn chevy and I would much rather keep it that way. If I wanted a hemi I woulda bout a Dodge
Old 11-27-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

While many of us think its fu*%ing ridiculous (because of size and $$$) how many more of us me included would be staring at the motor that hold these heads, and giving the guy props for doing it specially if he had ridiculously high HP number. I think they are bad *** and I can't wait for the first 19 year old kid with a hell of a lot of dads money buying these and bragging on one of the forums.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Before the use of aftermarket blocks in the 2nd gen hemi configuration the king of the hill in drag racing was the first generation hemi ... racers used the stock 1st generation hemi blocks and heads as the base for their top fuel cars ...... the hemi has been the king of muscle for a long time ... I am lucky enough to whitnessed all this because I was alive during the formative years of hot rodding and drag racing (50s, 60s, and 70s) when the sport took shape and inovation and thinking outside the box was the order of the day.
That really didnt answer my question. Bill Miller ran a chevy for 17 years and the only reason he finally switched to a hemi was due to cost of being the only one running a chevy. I think there are other motors that can do the same but there just isnt any reason to switch.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
That really didnt answer my question. Bill Miller ran a chevy for 17 years and the only reason he finally switched to a hemi was due to cost of being the only one running a chevy. I think there are other motors that can do the same but there just isnt any reason to switch.
How many NHRA national events and NHRA national championships did mr. miller win??? ... The only chevy guy that I can remember that had any success and his was very limited to say the least was Sneaky Pete Robinson...if you check your history you will find that you are incorrect .... but you are correct when you say that there is not reason to change since the hemi is the most powereful engine configuration in the top 4 classes .. if there was a better engine configuration beleive me that they would have changed years ago ... have a nice day and say hay to mr. miller for me...
Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How many NHRA national events and NHRA national championships did mr. miller win??? ... The only chevy guy that I can remember that had any success and his was very limited to say the least was Sneaky Pete Robinson...if you check your history you will find that you are incorrect .... but you are correct when you say that there is not reason to change since the hemi is the most powereful engine configuration in the top 4 classes .. if there was a better engine configuration beleive me that they would have changed years ago ... have a nice day and say hay to mr. miller for me...
Sorry Miller wasnt the driver but the sponser. I tried looking but I cant find where they list past wins for the events. You dont seem to understand how things work. The hemi engine gets these cars down the track quick enough so there is no need to change. Do you realize how much it would cost to change the powerplant in all those cars. To do so they would have to design all new parts to withstand 8000hp which would be extremely expense. Now if one person decide to change they would have to pay all the expense for design. Also you got to be kidding me if you think 50 year old motor is the best we can come up with these days.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

For anyone interested in viewing go over to Yellow Bullet web site in the Talk or be Trasshed section.Jim Daniels broke the NHRA-SSAH record yesterday in Georgia,running a 8.29 at 160mph.SSAH is the fastest class in Super Stock racing in the NHRA.There are two videos one in post #9,and post # 12.These cars are making in excess of 1100 hp,with strict rules to adhear to,and yes the car was torn down at the end of the day by NHRA.I love LS1s ,But the HEMI is still the king.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
For anyone interested in viewing go over to Yellow Bullet web site in the Talk or be Trasshed section.Jim Daniels broke the NHRA-SSAH record yesterday in Georgia,running a 8.29 at 160mph.SSAH is the fastest class in Super Stock racing in the NHRA.There are two videos one in post #9,and post # 12.These cars are making in excess of 1100 hp,with strict rules to adhear to,and yes the car was torn down at the end of the day by NHRA.I love LS1s ,But the HEMI is still the king.
There are a bunch of motors that can produce that kind of HP. I would say the record being broken has to do more with driver and the rest of the car. I wasnt comparing the LS1 to the Hemi since we all no there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You know nothing about NHRA super stock racing and it rules if you think that!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

that is entirely too much money. id rather have a truck instead.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
You know nothing about NHRA super stock racing and it rules if you think that!
I never said i did but there are plenty of motors that can make that kind of hp. So explain the rules that stops other motors from achieve that kind of power in that class.

Quick Reply: Arias HEMI LS1 at SEMA show!!