Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to go about freshening up an LS1

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to go about freshening up an LS1

Say I've got a stock shortblock in good running condition and I want to freshen it up. Would a simple re-ring and re-bearing the motor do the trick sucessfully?

Would I be able to do this without any machine work to anything? Thats my goal. I'd like to be able to leave the crank and block alone if possible. I would be re-using all the stock shortblock components. Except the addition of new rings/bearings and better rod bolts.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:08 AM
I can shift faster than you.

I have done this twice to my spare LS1 shortblock and a few other LS1s. The rebuild included new rings, bearings, ARP rod bolts, and a stress hone. The hone is very important to ring seal. You would be wasting your time and money if you installed new rings without doing this. It would be a very good possibility you would end up with a worse sealing motor than before!

I spent around $150 in machine work (stress hone and polish the crank). You are then looking at the cost of rings, bearings, ARP rod bolts, and necessary gaskets.

Good luck with the rebuild and let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
Old 12-10-2003, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are your taughts on rebalancing the rotating assembly?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

I forgot about the honing. How much material is/should be taken out during the honing? Or is it like a "polishing" of the cylinder? It cant be that much obviously since the stock piston is going back in there

How does a machine shop go about polishing the crank? I would hate to have a crank come back out-of-round.

thanks
Old 12-10-2003, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RobZ
What are your taughts on rebalancing the rotating assembly?
I'd like to know this also. My whole reason for not replacing the pistons rods was to keep the cost down and avoid any major machine work and balancing. I would think there would be no balancing needed since you are not changing any of the components.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:54 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Very little material is taken out, assuming the cylinder are round and there are no deep scratches on the cylinder wall. If alot of material has to be removed to get the cylinders round,etc. then the use of an oversized piston would be necessary.

It wouldn't hurt to have the rotating assembly at least checked for balance. More than likely nothing will have to be done, but that just depends on how close a tolerance your machine shop guy uses. One machinist might consider an assembly balanced, while another might still feel the need to add/remove some material to get it "perfect". You really just need to let the machinist know what your plans are for the motor up front.