Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do New Blem engine blocks = big problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have an ls6 block from valvegod. I was unaware they are blem blocks until now LOL! Mine has been bored and honed as well. I guess thats why I had a snapped main cap bolt right out of the crate. Guessing that was my blem. Other than that my block is just fine and was no big deal to fix.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

I sell surplus (over run stock) or Reclaimed (cosmetic blems, part number change, damaged packaging etc.) and also used parts. Out of approx. 75 surplus/reclaimed complete engines I have sold in the past 5 years, I had one that GM didn't install the center cam bearing and had low oil pressure. I sent the customer (Allen Nelson of LS1truck.com) a new engine at no cost. I have never had a single issue with any of the blocks, heads, cranks etc.that I have sold over the years, except for shipping damage which I have always replaced the item and deal with UPS or freight company myself. Although these parts DO NOT CARRY A GM WARRANTY, I back all the parts I sell.

If there is failed product or complaints, I have never heard about it.

Shaun (valvegod@aol.com)
SMC Performance, Inc.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I can't beleive a board "director" would stoop so low as to change the title of my thread from:

"New Blem engine block - big problems", to:

"Do New Blem Engine Blocks = Big Problems?"
...and without my express permission!!!!

CENSORSHIP, CENSORSHIP, CENSORSHIP
Old 12-10-2003, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

I'm sure the reason he changed the post, is becasue people like you get on here making accusations with no facts at all about other board memebers and venders. Just like the way you came off in your E mail several weeks ago. I would expext someone that is a CPA to act more proffesional.

Shaun (valvegod@aol.com)
Old 12-10-2003, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

...you guys are taking this board WAY too seriously!
Old 12-10-2003, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The post title was misleading. I thought you were gonna be posting that a blem block you bought had serious structural/functional deficits. I never would have guessed you were asking whether anyone had ever had problems with blem blocks.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
...you guys are taking this board WAY too seriously!

I thought the sme thing. I figured the 'revised' title was more fitting myself.

You have to think .. this board is some people's life. Valvegod for instance makes a living doing this stuff, as well as Nelson Performance who he mentioned in his post. Some of us on here take out hobbies seriously. This is a large chunk of change we fork into our vehicles with new motors, parts, etc. I don't know about you, but I tend to treat large purchases like that seriously on a regular basis.

Valvegod, thanks for replying to this thread. I was wondering which vendor you actually were. I remember the thread where someone flamed you for selling funky blocks which turned out he was just paranoid and wondered about your site then.

Anyways ... I hope no one gets annoyed by this post, it wasn't meant in a 'serious' manner if whoever does get annoyed.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong post.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone know valvegod's site addy?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

www.smcperformance.com
Old 12-10-2003, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

I dont keep my site up as well as I should, as parts come in and out to quick to keep revised. Site only has a small part of what I sell and do on it.

Shaun
Old 12-10-2003, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

JMX:

My patended thread naming convention is designed to attract as much interest as possible; therefore, please don't kill the messenger!

...any news on the guy who broke the hardened crank bolt; man, what a bad break! I've busted a couple of bolts in my time but that one is the worst I could imagine...
Did you contact the vendor in question to directly clairify with him before posting this thread? I think if you had you would have realized this thread wasn't necessary as he is very open and honest about the blocks etc. He's a top notch vendor in my book and I will buy from him again.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Robert - One thing you need to understand is that bad publicity on a public forum like this can really hurt peoples business. Another thing is that some people won't read through the whole thread to find out the scoop, they may see bad blocks and valvegod and think...Man, I'm not buying from him.

A threads title should reflect what the thread is about. There is no need to use Jerry Springer tactics to get views/replies especially with a very valid question like you've asked.

I don't see people being overly sensitive. I see people standing up for a business they feel is getting undeserved bad publicity.

Just my $.02, maybe you could turn it into $.04 for me.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I can't beleive a board "director" would stoop so low as to change the title of my thread from:

"New Blem engine block - big problems", to:

"Do New Blem Engine Blocks = Big Problems?"
...and without my express permission!!!!

If you object having the title changed that implies to me that you were making a statement rather than actually asking a question.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Robert - One thing you need to understand is that bad publicity on a public forum like this can really hurt peoples business. Another thing is that some people won't read through the whole thread to find out the scoop, they may see bad blocks and valvegod and think...Man, I'm not buying from him.

A threads title should reflect what the thread is about. There is no need to use Jerry Springer tactics to get views/replies especially with a very valid question like you've asked.

I don't see people being overly sensitive. I see people standing up for a business they feel is getting undeserved bad publicity.

Just my $.02, maybe you could turn it into $.04 for me.
Well said .... VERY well said
Old 12-11-2003, 03:07 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Sorry guy, it was misleading as it appeared you were stating a fact rather than asking a question, so rest assured it was only edited to help readers of the site understand what you were trying to ask. And btw, this isn't the first time you've pulled something like that, which is what bothered me most...

"New FAST intake manifold = modest gains"
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/120123-new-fast-intake-manifold-modest-gains.html
Old 12-11-2003, 04:09 AM
Launching!

Sorry to chime in so late...
Good to hear valvegod has "good" blems, not everyone does. What is key is that he backs them. As we've seen from some other (sadly) recent posts, guys are buying new stuff and not getting anywhere near the quality-of-support it sounds like VC is providing.

BTW, if the "new" block you're buying has a medium-light green paint mark on it (it might be a splotch or stripe) it's not only marking it as a blem block, it's also denoting WHERE the actual blem is. There are actually a couple of shades of green I've seen GM use on these, the darker of the two is what appears to be the one that designates some kind of actual metal flaw. In fact, two of the SMilies on this site are pretty darn close to the shades I'm talking about.
"Good" green -
"Bad" green -

I have seen them on virtually every surface of the block, including next to pinholes in the deck where the sleeve goes in. That was the single worst case I saw, yet the engine built with it is still going strong (I saw it, I didn't build it... ). The builder actually put a metal repair paste in it, can't remember the name. Just as well.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I also vouch for Shaun (valvegod). He has hooked me up a few times and has great service. I currently run a valvegod 6.0 block, 5.7 crank, and other add ons. He is not in the business of cheating folks. He relies on word of mouth for business, and you won't get that by ripping folks off. Keep up the good work Shaun
Old 12-11-2003, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Reckless
I also vouch for Shaun (valvegod). He has hooked me up a few times and has great service. I currently run a valvegod 6.0 block, 5.7 crank, and other add ons. He is not in the business of cheating folks. He relies on word of mouth for business, and you won't get that by ripping folks off. Keep up the good work Shaun

Having recently purchaced a block from Shaun, I have to say this thread title did cause me concern. He seems to be a stand-up guy though, and after talking to him, I had no concerns buying from him.

Near as I can tell, and I have not measured anything yet, the block that I got from him is most likely a surplus block.

That being said, whether you get your new block from GM or surplus, you would be crazy to just assume everything is right with it, and assemble your engine without measuring and checking everying carefully.

The significant variation in RWHP #s from LS1s tells me that GM allows alot of slop in their tolerences.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Something that alot of people don't realize is, that alot of the parts purchased through GM parts counters are production line blems or over runs. If you talk to a body shop, or repair facility you will hear stories of parts or assemblies coming through missing parts or pieces. I can't tell you how many repair panels, frame rails or other items I have purchased that are either damged or missing components (non of which casue any issue). Why throw away a good part for a little nick or cosmetic blem. From what I understand, GM parts has the option to buy lots of production over runs or blems before they go out for auction. If they don't buy, then the are sold in auction. Good example, all the surplus or line second LS1 Production Line LS1 that GM was selliing off 2-4 years back is now being sold to the Dealers on an Online auction. You will see dealers that have production line LS1/LS6 advertised for a lot better price then a crate engine. Nothing wrong with these structurally, just GM selling off what they have to much of or can't use.

Shaun
SMC Performance, Inc.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Robert, I didn't change the title but it was a good idea whoever did it.

Sometimes titles have a 'wolf wolf' vibe and they can cause problems.

This board is in fact very serious, and our community is quick to react to problems or for example, problem parts.

This section has too much visiibility to let something like this go unchecked.

Also, I generally like folks to take a potential concern and make it a cause celebre when there is no need to do that. The nice thing about Sean is that we are fortunate to have someone as ethical as him being one of the biggest source of blem/overstock parts. Now I just need Sean to sell me back that pair of prototype LPE headers I sold him four years ago and we are fine.

Quick Reply: Do New Blem engine blocks = big problems?