Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on degreeing cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on degreeing cam

This is probably a stupid question, but i was thinking about it and thought i would ask what others thought.
I am going to degree the new cam in my 402 tommorow,(just got extensions for my dial indicator, tried without them and dont trust my results) I made a piston stop and is there any reason that i cant put the indicator base on the stop to read lift, ect?? (heads are off, motor on a stand)

Everything i have read, or saw shows the dial indicator mounted elsewere. I cant imagine it would make any difference as long as the tip was centered in the lifter cup. I would think this way would be easy as then i can use the magnetic base. I just want to be very very sure that my results are spot on. I did try to get some #s without the dial indicator extensions using a 1/4" ratchet extension to contact the lifter cup and came up with a 114 icl. Cam is to be on a 112, and is custom ground.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With the heads off you can use the dial indicator to get TDC by measuring the piston at 0.200" before the top of stroke. Same as using a piston stop just make sure you keep a little downward pressure with your fingers on the piston and measure in the center.

I used both the center and the edge of the lifter. Issue with the center is the dial indicator extensions was very slightly binding and throwing off my results. I triple checked everything and was satisfied my results were repeatable.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

i guess my question was poorly worded. (tired when i wrote it) Can i mount the dial indicator on the piston stop plate when taking measurements on the lifter?? Or would the angle mess up the readings?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

here is were mine was mounted
Attached Thumbnails question on degreeing cam-ea4.jpg  
Old 11-19-2009, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

that will work too, thank you very much.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rpmauto
i guess my question was poorly worded. (tired when i wrote it) Can i mount the dial indicator on the piston stop plate when taking measurements on the lifter?? Or would the angle mess up the readings?
Doesn't mater where the dial indicator is mounted, as long as the plunger travels in line with the lifter. And if you use the center of the lifter it can't float. Best to use a old lifter that is made solid in the center. Dean.