Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1/ls2 timing chain damper?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question ls1/ls2 timing chain damper?

i have a 5.3l engine that i did a cam swap and also got a ls2 timing chain set on but problem am having is that the ls2 timing chain has more play the the stock one for the 5.3l. which leads me to geting a damper,also being that my block has the holes for one already.

ive had the black ls2 damper but the bolts are 1.7, which is to short from where my block has the bores at.

the tan damper is 2.1 something... looks like what i need. but my parts dept says its discontinued.

modifying the ls2 seems the only way. but that plastic looks thin on the inside.

what to do? any suggestions?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The black one is the only one still made. Did you add the previous holes? Am thinking that you must have because the newer blocks come pre-drilled (tapped) on the smaller spacing (1.7..."). You can re-tap new holes in-between the 2.1" spaced holes & use a smaller diameter bolt. I have used smaller diameter bolts on older blocks & then added JB Weld to fill the space between the smaller bolt & the hole in the dampner. You could also opt for a metal or nylon sleeve (a roll pin or something) placed over the smaller bolt to fill the space between the larger dampner hole & the smaller bolt, if you don't want to use JB weld. Either way, you'd want to fill the gap so that the dampner doesn't flop around.

I mention smaller bolts thninking that the same size bolt holes won't fit between the 2.1" holes without overlapping the existing holes. If they will , then use the same size bolt (tapped) holes.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

my 5.3 came with the holes already in it. which i was shocked that they had them. its out of a 2000 silverado.
i was thinking of boring out the ls2 damper. but the plastic look to thin on the inner side of the damper to bore it out.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 7deuce-ss
my 5.3 came with the holes already in it. which i was shocked that they had them. its out of a 2000 silverado.
i was thinking of boring out the ls2 damper. but the plastic look to thin on the inner side of the damper to bore it out.
It is. That's why I suggested tapping new holes in the block.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

ya that sounds like a good starting point. instead of moding the damper to fit
tht bolt locations righ now. i would probably need to go with smaller bolts to as you said being that the bolts from the damper right now rest on both inside edges on the holes on the block.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Someone over at corvetteforum modified the ls2 damper to fit the ls1 hole spacing: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ls1-block.html

Looks like a lot of work though.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mathia
Someone over at corvetteforum modified the ls2 damper to fit the ls1 hole spacing: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ls1-block.html

Looks like a lot of work though.
ive seen that and thats what got me to try and mod the damper but
it looks like he filled the middle of thte damper with something and then bored it out. the reg dampers are not solid in the middle. what would be good to fill in the nylon or plastic like that? his looks aluminum?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

stock ls2 timing chain damper.

the inside looks thin
[IMG][/IMG]
mod. damper from corvette forums.
[IMG][/IMG]

the same punch marks on his block would be where mine would fall too...
Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have taken aluminum dowel rod and run a die over it to create an aluminum slug, thread that into the existing holes with green loctite on it. After that sets for a day, drill and tap the new pattern. The new pattern will be partially in the slug installed.
The original guides in 1996 were steel pieces with plastic caps where the chain contacted it, the tan one was never used in production and cost was over 100 bux as I recall.

Kurt
Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 427
I have taken aluminum dowel rod and run a die over it to create an aluminum slug, thread that into the existing holes with green loctite on it. After that sets for a day, drill and tap the new pattern. The new pattern will be partially in the slug installed.
The original guides in 1996 were steel pieces with plastic caps where the chain contacted it, the tan one was never used in production and cost was over 100 bux as I recall.

Kurt
i taken that you have done this before? now the new hole that get s drilled do i just drop a sleeve into it and call it good?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, can anybody step up and make LS1 timing chain dampeners... Nylatron GSM or Stanyl (Nylon 4.6) would be a good choice...
Old 01-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

Not trying to dig up an old thread but, I am trying to gauge interest on LS1/6 dampers.

I have spent a considerable amount of time designing one and have worked with several different plastic companies to choose a material suitable for use. The finished part would be made of a nylon material and include all hardware necessary for bolting it in.

I have the design ready for production but I need to order 90 parts before the price becomes competitive. Before I lay out that kind of money I would like to make sure there is still an interest in them. Price point is looking like $50 give or take a few dollars and then shipping (via usps padded envelope).

This is not UHMW and not Delrin - both of those, while great for wear, will not hold up inside an engine. You can follow a little bit of my design process here...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...questions.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls1/ls2 timing chain damper?