Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head gasket help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009 | 10:09 PM
Teching In

Hey guy, I provided my input based off of personal experience, just as you did. I respect your opinion, dont be a jackass about mine. Hows that for cute!!
Old 12-06-2009 | 10:58 PM
Teching In

RAIIITA, I hope you've found out what you needed to know. I apologize for getting your thread off on a tangent.
Old 12-07-2009 | 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
I went to the local dealer and bought stock ls2 6.0 gaskets for my motor, I would not use the smaller ls1 gaskets on the bigger bore motors. With the head bolt there are two lenghts I beleive, ls1's usually have 2 longer bolts on the outer end holes, I know all the ls2's have the shorter bolts all around. Just take a look at the bolt holes, and maybe use a straw or something to see if they are all the same depth, but my guess would be that they are also all the short style bolts, I bought all these from the dealer to, it was pretty cheap.

You can always call texas speed as well and they can hook you up.
they have two medium sized bolts for pre 04s
Old 12-07-2009 | 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
yeah thats what i'm saying. for someone on a budget 80 here 80 there adds up real quick. if they are under 45,000 miles and in good shape why not. our headgaskets can be reused if they are in good shape. he is not building a racecar. i couldnt figure out if this is a fresh build or putting together a used motor. just giving the op the option to choose.
really? u cant b serious
Old 12-07-2009 | 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dhutch
RAIIITA, I hope you've found out what you needed to know. I apologize for getting your thread off on a tangent.
lol no problem all the best threads usually lose their focus by the second page lol. but i do agree, seems like an risky venture to reuse gaskets. although i will say i understand the reasoning behind reusing em to save money, but my logic is based on its a long walk if that doesn't work, and for the extra day's worth of work i will buy new ones and not eat out that week. ;P
Old 12-07-2009 | 09:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
RAIIITA, As for the 428 thats my favorite setup, super tourqey high reving. I ended up going with a eagle 455 crank bc it was less expensive. that engine is sitting in the garage, becase my original 40yr old untouched bottom end is holding up pretty well. really jealous about your six speed and that would really give the purists a heart attack, but I need some OD gears.
yea my 428 is a handful, awesome bottom end and even has good rev abilities. i am using a stock 455 crank and rods. forged pistons and edelbrock heads. as for the six speed lol that was an expensive change over and i got the six speed for 200 bucks or so, and a free hayes 11 inch clutch. lol hell the bellhousing cost more then the tranny! of course they would probably have a fit about the 69 z-28 12 bolt in there too. as well as the camaro console. lol yes i am a firebird nut to the death, but i am pro enjoy my car the most. it looks like a firebird as it goes ripping by you. i will leave the purity for the 69 trans am