Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yella terra rocker ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yella terra rocker ?

When going to yella terra rockers from stock rockers, will the pushrod length stay the same ? I need to measure for my new pushrods, but the yella terra's haven't arrived yet. Dean
Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Launching!

i believe the only time the push rod length changes is when the distance from the lifter to the rocker arm changes. Like if you were using a set of aftermarket heads with thicker clamping surface, or if you were milling stock heads a good bit.

If you are not changing heads and such, just run a set of forged stock length pushrods and follow the setup instructions provided with the roller rockers.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:16 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Make sure you get the preload correct?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Question

Originally Posted by sabastian458
i believe the only time the push rod length changes is when the distance from the lifter to the rocker arm changes. Like if you were using a set of aftermarket heads with thicker clamping surface, or if you were milling stock heads a good bit.

If you are not changing heads and such, just run a set of forged stock length pushrods and follow the setup instructions provided with the roller rockers.
The heads have been decked and the cam has been swaped, so I know I can't use stock length. What I need to know is if I check the length with the stock rockers, then switch to the yella terra rockers will the preload on the lifters stay the same ? Dean
Old 12-18-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it will be the same. I used my stockers to get my measurement because yella terra sucks as a company and their customer service is deplorable to say the least. took forever to get my replacement parts. damn good product though. good luck
Old 12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by massconfusion
it will be the same. I used my stockers to get my measurement because yella terra sucks as a company and their customer service is deplorable to say the least. took forever to get my replacement parts. damn good product though. good luck
Thats just what I needed to know. Thanks, Dean
Old 12-18-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First, you need to set the geometry. Then measure for pushrods. Every motor I have done to date with them required some shims to get the wipe pattern where I wanted it. Any shims alters pushrod length by 1.6 times the shim thickness. I wouldn't count on anything until you measure. I have had no problems with them though and they have been excellent to date. So if you use the stock rockers to measure then find that you need to adjust the height of the Yella Terra's to set the wipe pattern correctly, you will have ordered the wrong pushrods.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
First, you need to set the geometry. Then measure for pushrods. Every motor I have done to date with them required some shims to get the wipe pattern where I wanted it. Any shims alters pushrod length by 1.6 times the shim thickness. I wouldn't count on anything until you measure. I have had no problems with them though and they have been excellent to date. So if you use the stock rockers to measure then find that you need to adjust the height of the Yella Terra's to set the wipe pattern correctly, you will have ordered the wrong pushrods.
Thanks vettenuts, I guess I'll have to wait on my yella terra's to get here. Thanks again for the reply, Dean
Old 01-16-2010, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DeanJ
Thanks vettenuts, I guess I'll have to wait on my yella terra's to get here. Thanks again for the reply, Dean
Glad I took your advice. With no shim the wipe pattern was way off. Tried the .047 shims that came with the rockers, and they helped. Tried a .060 shim and it was perfect. Thanks man, Dean
Old 01-16-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That probably altered your pushrod length. How did you make out with the measurement? I have 0.125" shims under mine and I needed to do quite a bit of valve cover modification for them to fit.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I have a comp cams adj pushrod length checker. With.040 preload it came up to 4.370 , so i got a set of 4.375's. I checked them all. All the intakes were within .006 so some of them were perfect. the exhaust's were about .015 tighter. Still within range I think. This took me about 4hrs, what a pain but now I know it's right. So next time guys don't complain about price of assembly LOL. I set the valve covers on with out gaskets , and turned the engine over. No clearance problems here. Thanks again, Dean