Melling HV vs Ported LS6 oil pumps

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010 | 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow. very interested read
Old 01-02-2010 | 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Have the 10296 and I get 55psi cold and run at 48psi warm at 2K rpm on the highway. I also put 6qts instead of the 5.5 and I have not had any issues to date. Over 8K miles with that pump 2 H/C pkgs. Shifting at 6800 rpm.
Old 01-02-2010 | 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Good info!

I also have a melling H/V H/P pump

mainly put it in just as added insurance for my 170k mile motor when i did my cam swap and exc.

I was just thinking it would help with the wear and such in the bearings, i drive the hell out of my car with shifts at 6200 and never had a problem with it sucking the pan dry.

i plan on using it again on my new build and havnt heard anything bad so i will continue to run mine until i have an issue
Old 01-03-2010 | 05:37 AM
Launching!

good info. I will add additional half a quart for insurance.
Old 01-03-2010 | 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

You could order a factory LS6 pump and have the place shim but not port the pump. You'll get alittle extra pressure to maybe help keep the lifters alittle more stable at higher rpms. With all these super aggressive cam profiles that require lots of spring pressure, I'd take any cheap insurance I could get towards keeping the lifters stable over 6000 rpm. IMO there doesn't seem to be a shortage of volume with these gerator style oil pumps.

Jason
Old 01-03-2010 | 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Why would you add more oil to an engine that already has a hell of a time with Windage?, IMHO You guys are turning your oil into foam and thats when problems occur, be intersting to watch what happens inside the pan at 7000rpm
Old 01-03-2010 | 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

^^^ Good point. Just because no one has had a documented failure as to it happened because the oil pump was also pumping air with the oil or some similar sort of failure, then it is hard to say if it happened because of that. Honestly in an engine that is sometimes plagued with problems related to oiling, i would try to 86 as many factors out of the equation as i could.

I am not saying he is right or wrong about it, but this isnt like filling a gas tank up with 1/2 gallon more than GM specifies.
Old 01-04-2010 | 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DSRE
Why would you add more oil to an engine that already has a hell of a time with Windage?, IMHO You guys are turning your oil into foam and thats when problems occur, be intersting to watch what happens inside the pan at 7000rpm
I used to put 6qts in mine instead of 5.5 but only when I found a bigger oil filter to fit. It still registered the same on the dipstick. I assume that's what most do to these cars when running more oil in the stock pan.

Jason
Old 01-04-2010 | 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not understanding why it should be 5.5 quarts to fill unless no one lets it drain completely. I just changed my oil a week ago and didnt fill it up until the old oil stopped dripping out. I used 6 quarts and it was right in the middle of the operating range.
Old 01-06-2010 | 08:19 PM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

Seems to be a fair amount of bad information in this thread, even from the "builders".

A high volume pump won't pump any more oil than the restrictions in the motor can flow. Your restrictions are your bearing clearances, rod side clearances, lifter to bore clearances, etc. If those don't change how can the oil pump pump out the oil pan. Pans going dry do to the install of a high volume pump is a myth. Pans usually go dry on engines because of drain back problems to the sump (oil pan).

Flow and volume are absolutely related, without flow you will not have pressure. Pressure will fall when there is not volume there to support it, so basically pressure is a 'result' of volume. Good example is not having enough fuel pump to feed your engine. When you run out of 'volume' from the pump the pressure in the rail drops.

A high volume pump is cheap insurance. Can it be overkill in some situations, absolutely. Is it needed in many cases, not really. Does it hurt, NO.
Old 01-06-2010 | 09:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by helicoil
Seems to be a fair amount of bad information in this thread, even from the "builders".

A high volume pump won't pump any more oil than the restrictions in the motor can flow. Your restrictions are your bearing clearances, rod side clearances, lifter to bore clearances, etc. If those don't change how can the oil pump pump out the oil pan. Pans going dry do to the install of a high volume pump is a myth. Pans usually go dry on engines because of drain back problems to the sump (oil pan).

Flow and volume are absolutely related, without flow you will not have pressure. Pressure will fall when there is not volume there to support it, so basically pressure is a 'result' of volume. Good example is not having enough fuel pump to feed your engine. When you run out of 'volume' from the pump the pressure in the rail drops.

A high volume pump is cheap insurance. Can it be overkill in some situations, absolutely. Is it needed in many cases, not really. Does it hurt, NO.
you really need to do some reading on this subject-it's not nearly as simple as you make it sound.The is alot of GOOD literature on this subject done by some really smart guys-they will argue those "facts" with you.
Old 01-06-2010 | 09:26 PM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
you really need to do some reading on this subject-it's not nearly as simple as you make it sound.The is alot of GOOD literature on this subject done by some really smart guys-they will argue those "facts" with you.

Not looking for argument..... Have you seen this happen, because of a 'high volume' pump install? I have never had this experience. I have worked for a large manufacturer of engine product for years and have seen this proven over and over. Engineers would have a hay day with this 'myth'.
Old 01-06-2010 | 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

I am no pro but I think the block will flow all the oil you can throw at it. Hell how many holes are in it? Pressure is caused by restriction. Is it not? Volume is the amount yea? The way I see it it the oil is just like water. It will go the easiest way it can. Not really sure what it is on a block. If you put a tee fitting with a valve on the bottom of the oil PSI gauge and you open it, the psi will drop but the volume doesn't and just because you have good volume of oil at that spot doesn't mean you will at the main bearings. A stock pump is made to flow a "safe" volume at a set psi. A higher volume pump may increase the volume in the system without increasing the psi at the gauge. I guess what I'm saying is that more volume is good as long as it is going where it should and it has no restriction on return. My .0002
Old 01-06-2010 | 11:26 PM
Banned

its not just the porting in the pumps, some pumps have a bigger casting to hold additional oil in the pump itself. with my lingenfelter H/V pump im at 58 psi hot idle, i think thats a bit too much and i still have 5w-30, how would i be able to lower hot idle oil psi?
Old 01-06-2010 | 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Melling on my 440, ported, and spring mod.
Old 01-07-2010 | 12:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by helicoil
Not looking for argument..... Have you seen this happen, because of a 'high volume' pump install? I have never had this experience. I have worked for a large manufacturer of engine product for years and have seen this proven over and over. Engineers would have a hay day with this 'myth'.
Engineers have no idea what goes on in the real life. Working with parts and tearing an engine apart because it trashed some bearings and running the autopsy to make sure what it died of speaks louder than anything written in a book.

Unless you work for melling, ill have to say that because you cannot prove it and we can find evidence to support it, that only points in one direction.

And as far as i know, restriction just builds pressure, not impedence to volume of flow. The surface area of the (well what used to be the rotors) is what builds the volume...
Old 01-07-2010 | 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

I use the lingenfelter ported ls6 pump...also use 6 qts

I have no evidence of ill effects to either
Old 01-07-2010 | 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i use the melling 10296 in my cam only t/a and love, i run 6.25 qts of oil tho and no problem, great pressure and def not starving at high revs. i use to run straight 6 qts but the 5qts jug now carrie 5.25 qts and i always buy one more qt...

when i run my car i always hit 6800 rpms and she loves it
Old 01-07-2010 | 06:38 AM
TECH Regular

[/QUOTE]...
And as far as i know, restriction just builds pressure, not impedence to volume of flow. The surface area of the (well what used to be the rotors) is what builds the volume...[/QUOTE]

Shut the nozzle of your garden hose down to only about 25% open. Your pressure goes up and your total volume filling up the wash bucket for your car goes way down.

Eric HKE Racer7088 put my LS3 short block together. I discussed with him the HV vs HP melling pump issue in an F-body. I even already had the HP pump. He said, "he has built about 1500 LS strokers and he uses the HV pump from melling."
He said, "he goes with the HV pump on Hydraulic Rollers as he has seen it add quite a bit (I think he said 15 HP) down low because it prevents the lifter from collpasing slightly from not having significant pressure at lower RPM." I'm sure I'm messing this part up as it was 6 months ago.
Ed
So I told him to use what he wants as he's the expert.

I'll PM him and ask him to address it directly.
Old 01-07-2010 | 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

But you are not closing the end of the oil galleries to build pressure. The pressure is in the clearance and only relieve by the pressure relief spring. So lets suppose you have a flip open thumb that opens at that pressure, then flow becomes the same....you are not closing the outlet port of the oil pump. You are releasing the normal pressure that is built up BY the clearances of the engine. The pressure relief in the oiling system is constantly working to keep oil pressure steady. It doesnt just throw its mechanical thumb over the end of the hose every 10 seconds then release as such.

If you are running what some people call a "loose" engine meaning the tolerances are beyond normal, then you would normally need both more pressure and more volume to take up the space and to get the oil where it needs to go sooner than a normal pump would.

Plus in order to use a comparable example, you would have to use a larger water hose, to induce the higher volume of water that a high volume oil pump would pump over that of a normal pump.

Using that analogy does not work well on exhaust either, but i hear it used all the time.

Last edited by Beau@SDPC; 01-07-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Melling HV vs Ported LS6 oil pumps