Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought i was getting somewhere and then people start arguing.... sigh
Old 03-15-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like plenty of guys are running the LS6 in either ported or stock form with some pretty high hp cars and are having zero issues. I just ordered a ported KATECH LS6. I trust these guys as they have been working on the LS motors since 97 and know a thing or two about how to make em last. 98Z28cobrakiller is using a stock LQ9 oil pump and runs a 9.1 in the 1/4 without any issues. I think you guys are reading into this non issue way too much. This thread just became my dick is bigger boring competition.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02*C5
Have the 10296 and I get 55psi cold and run at 48psi warm at 2K rpm on the highway. I also put 6qts instead of the 5.5 and I have not had any issues to date. Over 8K miles with that pump 2 H/C pkgs. Shifting at 6800 rpm.
I do not as yet have an oil pump problem but on LS1 GTO, ppl are recommending this particular pump. I will be getting this one. How hard is the install?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
Seems like plenty of guys are running the LS6 in either ported or stock form with some pretty high hp cars and are having zero issues. I just ordered a ported KATECH LS6. I trust these guys as they have been working on the LS motors since 97 and know a thing or two about how to make em last. 98Z28cobrakiller is using a stock LQ9 oil pump and runs a 9.1 in the 1/4 without any issues. I think you guys are reading into this non issue way too much. This thread just became my dick is bigger boring competition.
Melling would not be in business so long if all their pumps were just a gimick and the stock unit was just as good. Running a turbo I would highly consider a higher quality Performance pump.

I am almost 100% sure that melling makes the stock piece anyway, but if they come out with a better design and market it, then maybe there is something to it?

Just my .02
Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
I know this thread is a little old but I recently have been looking at oil pumps. I bought the "high volume" gm oil pump from gm which is basically just an LS6 oil pump. Honestly, the only thing I really have to say is look at both pieces hand in hand and tell me which one you would rather put in your engine. After taking out my LS6 pump and seeing made in mexico on it, I immediately was like WTH. I took it apart and had so many metal shavings in the bolt holes. After that I was like F this. Thanks GM and corporate america. I'd rather put something that was made with quality in my engine that I'm spending thousands of dollars on. I'd rather put a melling in, where it is pretty obvious that they actually care about the product. Just my 2 cents as well. I'm sure they are both good pumps, but I'll let the individual decide that.

Quick Reply: Melling HV vs Ported LS6 oil pumps