Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

243 heads with stock ls1 cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SS#1230
thats weird. ive never heard of that. was it a C5 body?

why the hell would they want the LT1 over the LS1? were they skeptical of the new motor, and confident in the power of the LT1?
I think it was because they had not fully developed the LS1 for use in the Vette yet but had the Body Style done. This car/s would have been probably been built in early 96 when the LT1 was still there as a demo car for the new body style.

And yes it was VERY VERY strange and sold for pretty cheap considering. It was a very very clean Vette though. Oh the intake looked kinda funny too, it didn't look like an LT1/LT4 intake on TV but....it's hard to say... This was literally just like 3 or 4 days ago...I'll see if I can't find a video.

**can't find it listed on the auction site......dammit**

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=284&pop=1

That one might be it, its the only black one, but it looks more like a C4.....

Last edited by baalic; 01-02-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
You can't even buy LS1 lifters anymore, it's the LS7's or aftermarket.

Are you sure because you are about to fail again. I am running brand new stock LS1 lifters in my set up. Just bought them about 2 months ago.

Do some more research and then get back to me. Oh and I am redlining at 7000K and shifting at 6800 with them.

Get back to me when you get your misinformation right.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff Smith
Nice ..using E-85 ethernal?? I think about E-85 for my Camaro.
It is a good option to make more HP with out having to go with a power adder. If you decide to go with a power adder you are already a head of the ball game. Now I will say this if you live in a state that gets really cold, if you have some in your tank and its a nice winter day out side, you wan to take the car out, and the garage is not heated the E-85 will gel up in your tank and it might not start or take a while to start. Depends on how cold it got that previous night.

Last edited by 02*C5; 01-02-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The lifter cup is .050 higher in the LS7 lifter. Yes, that's true. LS1 lifters from the factory came with .100 preload. Without changing pushrod length you are at .050 preload. Well within the "safe" zone. Of course with smaller base circle cams, milled heads, and thinner gaskets you better be checking length even WITH your stock LS1 lifters. That's just common sense, I didn't know I needed to explain that. But then again, this IS LS1Tech.. I should realize who I am talking to here instead of taking common sense for granted..

You can't even buy LS1 lifters anymore, it's the LS7's or aftermarket. By the way, running the preload at the extremes, full depth or full height, is going to make more power than "safely in the middle." My preference is to run as little as possible with a 3/8ths pushrod.

Are you not supposed to check for correct push rod length regardless of what your set up is or what tolerances are acceptable or not. I mean really you tout to know more than me but every single mechanic that I know and all the sponsors will tell you to measure before buying and installing a push rod.

Get back to me when you can figure that one out too.

Not measuring = Fail
Old 01-02-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02*C5
Now I will say this if you live in a state that gets really cold, if you have some in your tank and its a nice winter day out side and the garage is not heated the E-85 will gel up in your tank and it might not start.
Are you sure your not thinking of biodiesel? Why would Ethanol Fuel gel up unless its contaminated? However E-85 is prone to drawing moisture.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BaddBird
Are you sure your not thinking of biodiesel? Why would Ethanol Fuel gel up unless its contaminated? E-85 is prone to drawing moisture.
I have a buddy of mine that lives up north and he is running E-85 in his Whipple Cobra and he always bitches and complaints about him having to crank his Cobra for at least 10 min on a cold morning if he drives her in the winter. He said he finally got a heater for the garage and all is well. When the weather dips below 30* its when you'll have this problem.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Are you sure your not thinking of biodiesel? Why would Ethanol Fuel gel up unless its contaminated? However E-85 is prone to drawing moisture.
Ive done some reading on running E85 and have some in my car and i was under the impression that at very low temps it would act the same as diesel and somewhat set up/gel per say. i dont know how much of an affect it would have with/with out the pressence of water in it but i think it is a lot harder to run in cold weather, also with highly advanced timing.

i noticed my car is harder to start now since its single digits here in indiana when it has E85 in it.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NAVY99B4C
Ive done some reading on running E85 and have some in my car and i was under the impression that at very low temps it would act the same as diesel and somewhat set up/gel per say. i dont know how much of an affect it would have with/with out the pressence of water in it but i think it is a lot harder to run in cold weather, also with highly advanced timing.

i noticed my car is harder to start now since its single digits here in indiana when it has E85 in it.
The biggest issue I have seen at the shop is contamination from moisture.Cooler temps more moisture in the air.E-85 is very bad about drawing moisture out of the air.Which drops the octane rating of the fuel.Which will increase fuel consumption and hard starts. Not to mention poor performance.

Sorry OP way off subject.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

The biggest issue I have seen at the shop is contamination from moisture.Cooler temps more moisture in the air.E-85 is very bad about drawing moisture out of the air.Which drops the octane rating of the fuel.Which will increase fuel consumption and hard starts. Not to mention poor performance.

Sorry OP way off subject.
Sounds good to me.

Back to the OP.

you buying lifters????
Old 01-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure because you are about to fail again. I am running brand new stock LS1 lifters in my set up. Just bought them about 2 months ago.

Do some more research and then get back to me. Oh and I am redlining at 7000K and shifting at 6800 with them.

Get back to me when you get your misinformation right.
No you didn't. You bought LS7 lifters. Check the part number.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
Please explain how running the preload lifter at full depth or full height will make more power.

sorry to steer this thread so far off.
ok, we know hydraulic lifters are intended to make up for valvetrain dimensional differences as well as providing a self-adjusting method of maintaining valve lash, or rather the lack of. By setting the valvetrain so the lifter plunger is depressed slightly, the lifter is able to compensate for these differences, making a convenient hassle-free valvetrain set-up.

For performance applications, lifter preload is not needed or wanted. As rpm's increase, the lifter has a tendency to bounce over the back of the lobe as it comes back down from the maximum lift point. The pressurized oil fills the lifter body to account for this bouncing. Eventually, after several engine revolutions, the oil can completely fill the lifter body and the plunger will be pushed up to its full travel (pump-up). Higher oil pressures can amplify this problem. With the lifter pre-loaded, this can cause a valve to run off it's seat and can cause piston clearance issues if and when pump-up occurs.

By setting the valvetrain at 'zero' preload, lifter pump up is eliminated and in most cases, the cam will rev higher. Ford tech articles in late 60's actually urged 'stock' class racers to run .001-.003 lash on hydraulic cams.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Are you not supposed to check for correct push rod length regardless of what your set up is or what tolerances are acceptable or not. I mean really you tout to know more than me but every single mechanic that I know and all the sponsors will tell you to measure before buying and installing a push rod.

Get back to me when you can figure that one out too.

Not measuring = Fail
I always check. A lot of people don't. A lot of people don't know how. That's the way it is. There are industry acceptable standards, and I was telling him he will be fine with his combo changing from a 100% stock setup. Of course you "SHOULD" check. And yes, I have forgotten more than you will ever know.

Let's not forget, I'm not not the one spouting off about "5.3 heads rev higher" and "corvettes got a different LS1" and "you had to order the SS in 98 to get an LS1." I mean, that's just ******* ignorant.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not looking to get into your pissing match with 02*C5 but you can still buy Ls1/Ls6 lifters from Gaterman Products and they are actual Ls1 lifters.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not looking to get into your pissing match with 02*C5 but you can still buy Ls1/Ls6 lifters from Gaterman Products and they are actual Ls1 lifters.
^^^^100% correct my friend
^^^^Fail again.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always check. A lot of people don't. A lot of people don't know how. That's the way it is. There are industry acceptable standards, and I was telling him he will be fine with his combo changing from a 100% stock setup. Of course you "SHOULD" check. And yes, I have forgotten more than you will ever know.
About cars and that's it good job now go play in the corner

Let's not forget, I'm not not the one spouting off about "5.3 heads rev higher"
Fail again keep it to what we are talking about.

and "corvettes got a different LS1" and "you had to order the SS in 98 to get an LS1." I mean, that's just ******* ignorant.[/QUOTE]

I took responsibility for that anything alse you want to throw my way to make your self look smart. Lmao have a Great new Year.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

You ladies done yet??
Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NAVY99B4C
You ladies done yet??
Sorry my apologies about the back and forth rant, the over all thread hijack and the misinformation. Wont happen again.

Have a great new Year.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you sir. we did get a little off topic.

hopefully we've all learned something and we can get on back to the OP

were back on now i think
Old 01-02-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

No offense to anyone on here and I realize I may sound like an old fashioned codger, but these last 1.5 pages are why I rarely come here anymore even though I consider myself an LS1 guy. It seems very few on here can actually remain in a civilized mood when discussing various topics. Sure there are ignorant people on here making stupid posts, but weren't we all there once? It's a good way to give some a bad taste for the LS1 world who may be getting into our side of the car hobby. To be honest, it played a small role in me giving up and selling my Camaro. You don't see this nearly as much on sites like Chevelles.com, corral.net, nastyz28.com or sites catering to more old school stuff. And at 26 I could still be considered a young punk...

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Back to the original LS6 heads topic.

Jason
Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
No offense to anyone on here and I realize I may sound like an old fashioned codger, but these last 1.5 pages are why I rarely come here anymore even though I consider myself an LS1 guy. It seems very few on here can actually remain in a civilized mood when discussing various topics. Sure there are ignorant people on here making stupid posts, but weren't we all there once? It's a good way to give some a bad taste for the LS1 world who may be getting into our side of the car hobby. To be honest, it played a small role in me giving up and selling my Camaro. You don't see this nearly as much on sites like Chevelles.com, corral.net, nastyz28.com or sites catering to more old school stuff. And at 26 I could still be considered a young punk...

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Back to the original LS6 heads topic.

Jason

26...that proved that rant. young punk off topic again!

haha jk im 23 this month and im already tired of the pissing matches on here. alot of good info besides the BS. just have to pick and choose.

wish i was a mod....

Quick Reply: 243 heads with stock ls1 cam