Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder 8 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by G Engines
start by checking your plugs, wires, and your coil, if it not one of them a compression check and a leak down are next.
Also see if your coolant level has gone down.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
5-10 mins! take off 4 10mm bolts to fuel rail and pop rail off and remove clip holding injector on and pop it out and pop new one back on. You could just trade injectors and see if it changes cylinders If it is I have a few sets of stock rails and injectors laying around.

75% of the time its s plug,wire,coil or a bad connection!
How much for an injector? I think my Dad and I will check the wire tomorrow. I hate having to drive it to class like that.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a lot of bad info in here...

Diagnose before you replace. The SES light flashing simply means that the car is showing a misfire. Misfire = bad on catalytic converters and emissions, which is why it flashes, so people will take it in for service.

Swapping coils is simple, and should have been done before replacing one.

I would swap wires next, but that isn't LIKELY the cause because they're so short and direct. I'd just about put my money on a plug. You can pull the plug and check it out and replace it for a few bucks. You can do the same swap method, but since you're dealing with cyl 8 and it's kind of a PITA to get to, I'd just replace it. If you have the tools, a compression test would be great at this time.

Like someone else said, I'd start the car and rev it up to 1500 or so and unplug the injector in question. If it creates an RPM drop, you'll know that your injector is working.. or partially. It is possible to be partially plugged or have a mechanical issue, I'd swap with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows it.