Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help ASAP... Cam sprocket or the tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help ASAP... Cam sprocket or the tune?

could my engine run like crap and wont go over 2000-3000 RPM if i would install an older engine with one of this timing sprocket with abunch off round holes diffrent than the original in my 2006 5.3... looks similar to this one but not the same and i know it dosent have all this holes on it more like a 1 piece round plate? well after i installed an older engine on my 2006 silverado with the cam sprocket im talking about it stating to do this things... once i turn the engine on it will rev. easily over 5k-6k RPM and once i let it idle and try to rev it again it wont even go past 3k RPM or 2k RPM's it sucks and with the peddle all the way down. it wont trow any codes checked that... & also i checked and swaped the coils, map, throttle body, crank sensor, wires, plugs, knock sensors, everything i can think off... fuel pressure steady at 55psi.... any one could it be this or the tune?

my original sprocket looks more like this...

new sprocket installed in the 2006 computer but old engine with EGR- dont know correct year on engine.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

timing can possibly be off, and did you reflash the computer?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ae13291
timing can possibly be off, and did you reflash the computer?
dont know about that, but it could be that sumthing went wrong when we tuned it back to stock or is sunthing wrong in the tune. i need to take the computer back to my tuner to check it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like cam timing. Could be related to sprocket &/or the computer (PCM). Looks to me like the older sprocket is designed for cam sensing @ the sprocket. The new sprocket, one w/ holes in it, is the style used where the cam sensing is done on the cam itself. So, if the sprocket w/ holes in it has been used on an engine w/ a front mounted cam sensor (sensing on the cam sprocket) then there will be issues because the cam sensor cannot measure the cam position (no ridges on the cam sprocket for the sensor to see). So, I'm asking where is the cam sensor on the engine, is it on the front near the cam sprocket or on the rear behind the intake? If on the front, you need the older style cam sprocket.