Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 angle or 5 angle, plus porting questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3 angle or 5 angle, plus porting questions.

whats up guys, i have a extra set of 317s im setting up, going to do a valve job, i know a 5 angle should be better then a 3, what are everyones thoughts on this, also we are learning how to port in my machining class, on the 317s there is a small ridge at the top of the head(intake side), ive heard its part of the cooling jacket, does anyone know if thats true? thanks.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BlueStreak362
whats up guys, i have a extra set of 317s im setting up, going to do a valve job, i know a 5 angle should be better then a 3, what are everyones thoughts on this, also we are learning how to port in my machining class, on the 317s there is a small ridge at the top of the head(intake side), ive heard its part of the cooling jacket, does anyone know if thats true? thanks.
Getting the first 3 angles is the most important part, then you can set the other angles. Personally, the last time I did a VJ on stock seats, it sunk the valve a little too far for comfort, so I replaced them with larger seats and went with larger valves.

The "ridge" you're talking about, I think might be for the rocker bolt. If that's the case, it's okay to break through, but be sure to use a thread sealer on the intake rocker arm bolts instead of anti-sieze or loctite. Just be careful not to get too thin underneath the rocker arm and spring pocket. People have learned the hard way how bad that can be when the ceiling of the port rips off.