Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR CheaTR package vs GT2-3 and Patriot LS6 heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates? are you going to use the stock manifolds?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

yes any updates..looking to go a similar route.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys, I was injured at work so really havent been able to work on the car at all.

However I had planned on doing a major overhaul on the car, so its not just gonna be a quick heads/cam swap. Along with that and the related components like oil pump, katech timing chain, LS7 lifters, and such, Im installing:

UMI K-Member and Poly motor Mounts
UMI Upper and Lower control arms
Turn-One Power Steering Pump and Pulley
Rebuilt Steering Rack
Katech Rod Bolts
LS7 Clutch, with Tick Adjustable Master
Motive 3.90 Gears
Torque Arm relocation Mount
Koni Shocks
Coil Relocation Kit
Baer Bumpsteer Tie Rod ends
FAST 102 Intake
Speed Inc Fuel Rail Kit
Racetronix Fuel Pump and Wiring Kit
Nick Williams 92mm TB
Z06 85mm MAF
6LE 200 Mph gauge face

And then on top of that, Im detailing the entire undercarriage, and wheel well areas. Powdercoating various parts. Repainting the engine bay. Then rewrapping and updating the interior with vinyl and a custom center console I was working on.

And then after that, Im moving on to the exterior of the car, going with the 6LE targa, already ordered the 6LE/McNord "Dick Harrell" style bumper, SS Spoiler, Im finishing up my custom modded CME Valence, a custom hood, and a full repaint...

So the plate is a bit full at the moment! LOL And its been agony not being able to work on the car for a few months because of this injury, especially since ive been out of work, so all the free time is making me a bit nutty! lol

I had my car "finished" I thought about 2 1/2 years ago, and then someone broke into my car and tore out the radio and ripped up the interior. I just took the insurance money and opted to make the repairs myself... well after a few months working on things, I got burned out, and so the car sat undriven for close to 2 years. I finally got motivated again when my buddy got a new car, and so I plugged on and got my car back running again, but the years of sitting did a number on the paint, and the clearcoat was starting to peel in several areas, and so it was a bit of a mess. And then those years of sitting did a number on the hoses and seals as I had various coolant and steering line leaks... and then the killer, the Head gasket went, which again parked my car for a few months. Debating on giving up, or rebuilding, I finally just decided to go for it, and went a little nuts on ordering parts! haha

But I figured if I made the decision to keep it, I wanted to make it as reliable as possible, so that meant replacing as much of the old parts as I could. And so that started the beginning of this great project! But it should be fun, and Im sure ill learn quite a lot, as its my first time doing many of these installs. But first things first, I need to get healthy, so its back to waiting...

Oh, and Im going to be running this setup with longtubes for the person that asked, through a magnaflow exhaust. I currently have FLP 1 3/4 long tubes on the car, but im debating on selling them and going with the ARH 1 7/8 headers. But Ill see

I just hope that everything goes okay, Im already a bit worried, because when I popped off the heads, all 8 pistons had signs of valve contact, with score marks on all of them, with one piston having a fairly decent indentation. Im hoping it was just from an over-rev, and not signs of something more serious. But with my luck lately, Im not counting on any good news...

Last edited by 00CaliforniaZ28; 08-06-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the update, your car is going to be bad *** when you're done with it. Wish you a fast recovery.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your gonna have sharp car when its all said and done! Post some pictures once your done
Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 884 Likes on 630 Posts

It all started with a cam swap, now look where you are at! Best of luck to you on the recovery.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

Damn..now that's an update.lol. Impressive list of mods.

Hope you get better soon so you can finish the build. How long have you been waiting for the heads btw??
Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies and well wishes, fellas! I sure hope it goes together the way I have it in my mind, but Im sure itll be lots of fun either way But as they said, the waiting is the hardest part!

And Ive been waiting on the heads going on 8 weeks now... And I just recently had them change the order to include the hollow valves, so Im sure itll be a little while longer... I hope I can get this together soon so I stop spending money! Right now Im just stuck at home all day, so I spend most of my time looking at car parts online
Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

try the patriot 226/226 585 112lsa with the patriot heads you mentioned. won't sound stock but not too lumpy.

Quick Reply: TR CheaTR package vs GT2-3 and Patriot LS6 heads