Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Problems with 346

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt (VTtransam) The torque management in our (M6) cars may not even do anything. Might just be left over from the factory PCMs. I have all the shift points and all the automatic things in my PCM according to edit, doesnt mean it uses them.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

JS, could you tell us how your really feel about Joe?
Old 12-24-2003, 04:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9T9BlueTA
Matt (VTtransam)I have all the shift points and all the automatic things in my PCM according to edit, doesnt mean it uses them.
Exactly...
Old 12-24-2003, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey
Exactly...
Guys there are thousands of functions built into a CPU so I would not expect anyone to know all of them, but in this case post '01 LS1 M6s most definately use torque management. If you guys go back and re-read my original post you will see that I say TM is not an issue on my '99 and that it is much more invasive on the '01+ cars (that make more low end torque). I honestly do not know if it is used on the pre '01 cars. I can shift my '99 hard and it hits hard laying down lots of rubber between the 1-2 shift, my car runs around 111mph at the track. My buddies internally stock '01 runs 114mph at the same track but if you power-shift it it lays down inbetween shifts, it does not feel nearly as strong as my '99 inbetween powershifts yet it is faster. Riding shotgun you can feel the difference. It is also pretty invasive on my '03. The '94,95 mustangs M5s are also notorious for this. If the weather ever gets any better I will go out and do some logs with EFI live (I dont think that ATAP takes enough time stamps to verify what is going on).

This thread has gotten way off topic though, and I am sorry for my part in it.

The point of this thread is that Mike has worked with BADSS to correct any problem that may or maynot have been caused by his shop. That is all you can ask, as **** is Inevitably going to get screwed up somewhere when you modify cars. Just sorry that this guy has gotten more than his fair share.

Merry Christmas!
-Nick

Last edited by niphilli; 12-24-2003 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BADSS
I wanted to let everyone know what a good guy Mike is. Here is what he has done for me, in spite of the fact I have given him alot of ****:

1.) Analyzed my dyno graphs to help diagnose the problems.
2.) Offered to leakdown and replace the ARE shortblock if needed.
3.) Offered me a sweetheart of a deal on a Rapid H/C package if I want it.
Take #3 ! You will be very happy with Mikey's work !
Old 12-24-2003, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mikey is a good guy and will never let you down. I have witnessed him repair his customer's cars in the pits when they have broken down.I remember an event at Cecil a customer or his broke an axle and he took the time to fix it so he could drive it home. Thats customer service!
You will be very satisfied with the Rapid h/c if you decide to go with it. The car absolutely screams. My car ran low 11's consistantly at a 3600+ raceweight with me in the car!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would go for #3 that's more than making it right.

Originally Posted by BADSS
2.) Someone left a spring seat off #6- don't know if it was JPR or Rapid.
That bothers me for a couple of reasons and both are at fault for letting that slip by IMO.

1. JPR should have caught that before the heads went out. That's totally unacceptable IMO because it shows the attention to detail isn't there for the product or at the very least your heads.

2. Rapid IMO should have caught that as well before they installed the heads.

3. SRP that did my heads & cam install, absolutely refuses to install anyone elses heads, unless SRP checks all the spring install heights, spring pressures, valve guides, valve job, detailed flow testing of the heads, makes sure the valve train is set up correctly etc.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 12-24-2003 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by niphilli
Guys there are thousands of functions built into a CPU so I would not expect anyone to know all of them, but in this case post '01 LS1 M6s most definately use torque management. If you guys go back and re-read my original post you will see that I say TM is not an issue on my '99 and that it is much more invasive on the '01+ cars (that make more low end torque). I honestly do not know if it is used on the pre '01 cars. I can shift my '99 hard and it hits hard laying down lots of rubber between the 1-2 shift, my car runs around 111mph at the track. My buddies internally stock '01 runs 114mph at the same track but if you power-shift it it lays down inbetween shifts, it does not feel nearly as strong as my '99 inbetween powershifts yet it is faster. Riding shotgun you can feel the difference. It is also pretty invasive on my '03. The '94,95 mustangs M5s are also notorious for this. If the weather ever gets any better I will go out and do some logs with EFI live (I dont think that ATAP takes enough time stamps to verify what is going on).

This thread has gotten way off topic though, and I am sorry for my part in it.

The point of this thread is that Mike has worked with BADSS to correct any problem that may or maynot have been caused by his shop. That is all you can ask, as **** is Inevitably going to get screwed up somewhere when you modify cars. Just sorry that this guy has gotten more than his fair share.

Merry Christmas!
-Nick
Nick, the car I spoke of testing was an 01 SS. Not yours Brett, although I did not delete TM in your program. Did you feel the car lay down at all?

The 98-00 programming is completely different than the 01-02 F-bodies. Like night and day. This is due to a cam, intake, head change in the 01-02 models. I saw no timing retard via Tech-2 and A-tap while power shifting. We actually bent a shift fork during testing so yeah, we were hammering it. Again, I ask you to post solid data not just a feeling. Then I'll agree with you.

Here's some good reading for you: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/123581-rapid-tuned-corvette-takes-scca-t1.html

99 Black Bird T/A: I am not responsible for others poor workmanship, only my own and I am the first one to admit when I make a mistake. I would specifically had to have been looking for a missing spring seat to see it. That's such a basic part of head assembly, it's just not something I look for. That's kind of like saying when I receive a short from ARE I should disassemble the motor to make sure the rings and bearings are all there There are some things that you just put blind confidence in.

It's so funny to me all the opinions and should have's here. Just cracks me up The feeding frenzy continues...

Last edited by mikey; 12-24-2003 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:59 AM
7 Second Club

Mikey if I was you I wouldn't install customer supplied parts anymore.It seems like a big hassle and then the uninformed bashers throw their 2 cents in on the net when said parts fail.You have made a very fair offer to fix the guys car IMO.The decision is his to make.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't hold Mike responsible for the missing valve seat on the JPR heads.
As Mike has stated, this was a rush job- and he won't do that again in the future. If I go back to Rapid, he wants the car for 3 days to ensure everything is perfect, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikey
99 Black Bird T/A: I am not responsible for others poor workmanship, only my own and I am the first one to admit when I make a mistake. I would specifically had to have been looking for a missing spring seat to see it. That's such a basic part of head assembly, it's just not something I look for. That's kind of like saying when I receive a short from ARE I should disassemble the motor to make sure the rings and bearings are all there There are some things that you just put blind confidence in.

Mike, I agree it would be hard to catch. I know I'd not catch it either.

I'll pass on commenting on ARE/ARE products other than to say with their well know horrific customer service and other issues, I'd never purchase any of their products.

I also agree JPR is the root cause of the missed spring and it was their responsibility to do their job right the first time. I agree using your heads this wouldn't be an issue because it would have been done right the first time. That's a powerful argument to strongly suggesting to customers that they should go with your products because you KNOW evertything is right with your heads. If they don't then that's a powerful hint you need to check their stuff out carefully before using it.

If you didn't check the heads out carefully so some of that missing spring seat is on you. I don't care if 99 percent of the installers wouldn't check it. It's the difference in a high quailty install and an just an install.

Of course at least 90 percent of it is JPR fault.

My installer checks for exactly that sort of thing because if they are going to be associated with an engine project they check the parts to make sure it's right. They check other peoples stuff super careful. They catch **** like this that others screw up before it ever goes near a car.

Of course do as you see fit and don't check stuff out carefully before you install it. Most of the time it will be fine. Only maybe one in a hundred or two will have an issue. Of course those are the ones create issues...

422, I'm informed regarding what is required to do top quailty engine/installs - probably a lot more than you realize. If calling a spade a spade is a bash in your opinion so be it.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 12-25-2003 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To get back on track...No, my car did not lay down in any way. I really have no idea about tuning a car or anything related to LS1 Edit. I do not powershift my car but IMO I do shift fast. With the Ram VDS 910 shifts happen at a rapid pace and at no time did I feel any hesitation from the car.
Bottom line is...I wouldnt let any other sponser put their hands on my car except for Mikey.I am sure the Rapid H/C will work wonders on your setup if you choose to buy them.

Quick Reply: Lifter Problems with 346