Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To dynotune or not to?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010 | 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Default To dynotune or not to?

I just bought a heads/cam car, and it has been tuned locally here in the dfw area by a local person using hptuners is all I know really. The car runs and drives awesome, but my question is should the car take 5-10 minutes to warm up (its been freezing cold down here)before it gets to normal idle at 900/1000 rpm? Once it warms up, the car is fine so my real question is, is this normal for a heads/cam car? This is my first heads/cam car so excuse if the question is dumb. Should I get a dynotune from a reputable shop here, or is this the way a h/c car is...
I know I wanna take it for a few dyno runs to see what kind of hp it has in it, but otherwis I dont know what I should do.
Old 02-02-2010 | 02:32 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

My heads and cam cars didnt take but 15 seconds to find the idle. Colder weather will slow it down, but not by 5-10 minutes. Always let your car warm up for a minute or 2 before driving so youcan get some oil up into the top end of the motor. Did you get a license with the car for HPTuners?
Old 02-02-2010 | 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is really an easy fix (tuning). There are a number of airflow tables that control airflow, idle speed, and spark that are dependent on your Coolant temperature (ECT). So, as the car warms up you can control the rate of idle warm-up.

It is not necessarily related to being H/C. Perhaps the tuner was being a little conservative, and wanted to prevent stalling.

In all honesty, I am not sure it would be cost-efficient to get a total dyno-tune just to massage a cold-weather start annoyance. As long as it is not starting at 1200-1500 Rpm's or something ridiculous, it might make more sense to use the tuning software to make a few changes. I am not that familiar with the licensing features of your tuning software, but no need to pay big bucks for a few minutes of tuning work.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 02-02-2010 | 08:15 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Well, if he has a license and can find out where it was tuned before it may only be a 25$ or possibly free "re-tune" and they would be able to correct it in little to no time.
Old 02-02-2010 | 08:32 AM
On The Tree

No I dont have the tuning software, and yes at cold start up, it surges at a higher rpm, like 1200, then when it warms, it settles down to about 900rpm.