Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh bad, had a customer tell me he has stock pistons in a 3.905" bore, how bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh bad, had a customer tell me he has stock pistons in a 3.905" bore, how bad?

Ack, some guy came in telling me how he rebuilt his own LS1 etc etc..but then he told me he had to hone the cylinders before reinstalling the stock pistons. He honed it to approx 3.905" bore with the stock 3.9" pistons back in it... I didnt say much cause he already finished it.

but do you guys think this motor will stay together? ack sounds like a lotta piston slap or something would be the result
Old 12-24-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the stock bore is closer to 3.898, which would make the senario worse. I hope he has good rings cause it will be loose.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some serious piston slap probably. If decides to fire it up...let us know what it does. Should be interesting.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

my guess is, it'll be just fine. Maybe alittle on the loose side.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He *may* break some rings also. The rings are only designed to expand so far and keep in tact. With the piston much smaller than the bore, the rings may not be sitting on the ring lands enough to hold the combustion pressures.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa, that is crazy. Just to give you an idea my father and I rebuilt a Ford 8N tractor about 10 years ago that my grandpa had on his farm with all factory Ford parts. Well, we didn't have many hours on the motor at all but it started to burn oil like crazy about a year ago, it was so bad it would foul the plugs out within a few hours of running and couldn't get certain cylinders to run at all. Did a compression check and cylinder 2 and 3 had less than 20 psi each I ripped the cylinder head off the motor and pulled a piston this fall due to the excessive oil comsumption. There was about a .075 gap installed in the rings no wonder why it burned oil. Turns out after talking to the Ford tractor dealer that they had a problem awhile back of Ford shipping some motor kits that didn't have hardened components and accelerated wear like we had was a result. The motor uses c-clip style valve retainers, and the motor split them into a y and the valve guide was slapping all over inside the motor, no wonder those cylinders didn't hold any compression. It also trashed the crank journals, from the shavings off the valvetrain and the accelerated wearing of the rings and cylinder sleeves probiably. Granted that is old technology with a motor of a 2200 rpm top operating speed but if that motor let loose and burned oil like crazy then I can only imagine how badly a V8 with a much higher redline will burn oil. I wouldn't be surprized it the motor comes flying apart with that much slack in it.