Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in a 408 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in a 408 stroker

Just got the motor in. Trying to figure out if i should tow it to a tuner and do a mild tune on it before i even drive it, or should i just drive it under low rpms on the stock tune and wait a few hundred miles and do a dyno tune?
Old 02-06-2010, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

should probably get a base tune
Old 02-06-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Assuming you have different size injectors, I wouldn't even attempt to start it without at least flashing in a tune that has been adjusted for them. I definitely wouldn't drive it.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedLade
Just got the motor in. Trying to figure out if i should tow it to a tuner and do a mild tune on it before i even drive it, or should i just drive it under low rpms on the stock tune and wait a few hundred miles and do a dyno tune?
Don't start it without some kind of round-about-tune. I know someone that had a brand new 427ci put in, without a tune. His builder told him not to drive it until he could get it dyno tuned in like another few days. The idiot went and put like 400 miles on it. Gas washed his cylinders. Had to have it pulled and rehoned and reringed.

It'll be broken in as soon as it comes off the dyno after a few pulls. Engines are broken in, in a matter of a few miles. But it won't break-in properly if you're not tuned right. Its the rings that get broken in in those first few miles, or those first few dyno pulls. Its not the entire engine thats the concern. You have to seat the rings properly and quickly.

***Unless you have some specifically built engine with special tolerances or something, break in is done after the dyno tune.***

Old 02-06-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

o be safe if you are going to drive it to the duno get the tuner to flash a base tune i for your mods. Best case trailer it to him and break it in on the dyno. LS6 is exactly right. A few dyno pulls and the rings will be seated... This has worked well for me....http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you dont have a trailer uhaul is like 59$ for 24hrs
Old 02-07-2010, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a Texas Speed short-block we send detailed instructions on proper break in. Just taking it to the tuner doesn't mean it will be broken in properly. We send special break in oil & special procedures to help customers break in new TSP short-blocks.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 02-07-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

to back up what every one else is saying, I have a built 347 in my Nova. I had a baseline tune in it but the motor would not crank for 2 weeks . we tried every thing we could to get it to run. Come to find out it was the harness under the coil packs that got crossed ( let a friend borrow coils) and the wrong cyl was firing at the wrong time.
Now from all the gas that went in the engine and spinning over, my fresh engine has blow by. I have tried every thing and now have a filter on each valve cover allowing it to escape but just a part time fix to get me down the track untill i pull it and rehone it and put new rings.
Atleast take your computer out and take it to a tuner or send in to EPS for a mail order to base line it
Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
With a Texas Speed short-block we send detailed instructions on proper break in. Just taking it to the tuner doesn't mean it will be broken in properly. We send special break in oil & special procedures to help customers break in new TSP short-blocks.

It has detailed instructions on proper break in, but there is a stock tune on the truck.. Im asking if its ok to use your procedures to break it in with out a tune?

Quick Reply: Breaking in a 408 stroker