Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arms

im thinking of upgrading my rockers and wanted some input,im not looking to spend a fortune, i was looking at the summit catalog and saw they had harland sharps and a summit version for around 350. my car is a ls1 head and cam (mid 240 duration close to .650 lift) and im shifting the car around 7k. was wondering how much i could benifite vs stock rockers,obviously i know theres going to be a gain,but ive heard of guys useing stock rockers and being fine so i was wondering if it'd be worth the switch and are the harlands or summits a good way to go? id pick up what prolly 10-15hp maybe? is that whp?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

The stock rockers are very good and generally not worth upgrading. Yes you should see some gains by upgrading. If you get 10rwhp I personally would be happy.

There are other options like Yella Terra as well. I personally used Harlands in my 408. If I was not using trickflow heads I dont know that I would have upgraded. I would have at least done the trunion upgrade though.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can also upgrade your trunions in your stock rockers to keep costs down and never have to worry about those needle bearings.

http://www.compcams.com/information/...yID=1508422545
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

^I thought there was an article in GMHTP regarding the stock rockers putting excessive for/aft load on the valve tip an causing valve guide wear due to the lack of a roller tip. Not sure on how REAL those concerns are though.. I've thought about upgrading to RR's as well, but I'll wait till the TF heads find their way under the hood..
Old 02-17-2010, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

i def wanna ditch these 243's for some trickflows one day lol

thanks for the replys so far!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

^ That just reminded me of that Family Guy when he threw those women/wives away. Or the ball/paddle.. "BAH! I'm BORED of it now!"

Anyway.. yeah.. How about that roller tip?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^I thought there was an article in GMHTP regarding the stock rockers putting excessive for/aft load on the valve tip an causing valve guide wear due to the lack of a roller tip. Not sure on how REAL those concerns are though.. I've thought about upgrading to RR's as well, but I'll wait till the TF heads find their way under the hood..
I saw that article too and think they were trying sell products for their advertisers. If you are runnig an OEM head with the ductile iron guides I don't think an upgrade is necessary unless you just do the trunion upgrades on stocker.

IMO for an aftermarket RR YT UL's are the best value with Jesel being the best period...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

There is a lot of myths out there when it pertains to stock rockers.

The only thing that holds back the stock rockers is the open needle bearing casing. If you get the trunnion upgrade on stock heads the stock rockers are good for a .650 lift with no issues. You will not see any HP gains from changing out your rockers. The stock rockers arms though are pretty much bullet proof on stock heads.

You have to ask yourself if all the top builders like Lingenfelter and such use stock rockers on their top of the line builds there something to be said for them.

The only time I would advise going with aftermarket rockers is if your doing an after market head like a TF or such. Other than that there is no need.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

The stock rockers may work up to .650" lift but the wipe pattern usually sucks. The magazine article mentions the geometry limitations. During some upgrades and a cam (.612"/.617") swap last year, I checked the geometry with my stock rockers with my old cam and the new cam. They were all way off with both cams. Some high on the stem, some low. Installed Yella Terras, set the preload properly, wipe pattern is perfect on all valves. Now, there is not much on my LS1 that is stock anymore, and I spin over 7000rpm regularly so I care a lot about geometry.

I forgot to add; my heads are Cartek x4 243 castings, not TF's or AFR's.

Last edited by Goldfinger911; 02-18-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
The stock rockers may work up to .650" lift but the wipe pattern usually sucks. The magazine article mentions the geometry limitations. During some upgrades and a cam (.612"/.617") swap last year, I checked the geometry with my stock rockers with my old cam and the new cam. They were all way off with both cams. Some high on the stem, some low. Installed Yella Terras, set the preload properly, wipe pattern is perfect on all valves. Now, there is not much on my LS1 that is stock anymore, and I spin over 7000rpm regularly so I care a lot about geometry.
I had a similar experience and spent hours on the work bench trying to get the stock rockers to provide a narrow pattern. I finally gave up and found I could set up the YT's quickly and the wipe pattern was 0.045" wide perfectly centered. I recently had them off for a pushrod change and the pattern was still perfect and where I set it. The OP has more lift then I was setting up at the time so it will likely be worse then what I found if checked.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I had a similar experience and spent hours on the work bench trying to get the stock rockers to provide a narrow pattern. I finally gave up and found I could set up the YT's quickly and the wipe pattern was 0.045" wide perfectly centered. I recently had them off for a pushrod change and the pattern was still perfect and where I set it. The OP has more lift then I was setting up at the time so it will likely be worse then what I found if checked.
i just put the comp gold race rockers in a off road race car,which has a ls2 in it and let me tell you first hand those stock rocker have a terrible wipe patter and are not even close to center on valve tip on most. I also wanted to let people know that the cam in that motor is .590 lift and with the stock rocker, just the tip of the rocker pad is in contact at full lift, kind of scary for deflection... and also we watch the oil temp very closely and with the swap the oil temps dropped 10 degrees ..
Old 02-18-2010, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Def good to know about wipe pattern,i dont know the most when it comes to rockers, i can get a really good deal for some comps at my work, i know there are alot of variations so, which comp rocker would you pick? golds?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DemonInside
Def good to know about wipe pattern,i dont know the most when it comes to rockers, i can get a really good deal for some comps at my work, i know there are alot of variations so, which comp rocker would you pick? golds?
yes, the golds :-)
Old 02-19-2010, 03:01 AM
12 Second Club

I don't recommend the harlands at all I have had the rocker arm bolt snap off in the head, and my buddy had the pushrod break THRU the back end of the rocker.

get stock rockers and have them modified.

or YT's but I can't recommend the HS rockers anymore...

Chad

Chad
Old 02-19-2010, 03:04 AM
Banned

i got the lunati voodoo rockers on mine and i'm very pleased with them. maybe you should look into getting some
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, Lunati makes good **** indeed. I have the old school Yella Terras and Patriot Gold springs, and I love them. They clear stock valve covers and no valve float issues.
The ones shown here: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=21
Old 02-19-2010, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

I would stay away from the stud mounted adj rockers. they can and will cause valve float issues if you spin 7k or more rpm. I was warned about them by tony mamo but i was not willing to get rid of my $400 comp rockers.

till the first time i spun it up 7200 and it sounded like it was going to explode before it shifted. went home swapped the stockers back in. thats the only thing i did.

took it back out and ran perfect to the 7200 sp in all gears. I run the afr 8019 upgrade springs on afr heads with the springs shimmed .040 from bind so it was not a spring issue.

a shaft mounted set up is the way to go.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

If you can find a set laying around, the Crane gold rockers are great. I have a set on my daily driver and couldnt ask for a better rocker.

Quick Reply: Rocker Arms