Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010 | 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

Default couple questions?

well im planning on building a motor for my car as funds come i dont know a whole lot about this stuff. what pistons do you guys suggest i want to keep stock or close to stock c.i.. i want the motor to run on pump gas 92oct. around here. i plan on getting some stock 243's and have a buddy port them. id like to make between 4-450 rwhp on motor but be able to spray another 150 atleast on top of that id like to go up to a 200 shot if the occasion calls for it.
Old 02-18-2010 | 02:49 AM
Launching!

Just did a little research...

Cast Pistons..
..are usually adequate for most passenger car applications, but when it comes to modified high output engines, marine engines, boosted engines (turbocharged or supercharged), or engines that are "bottle-fed" nitrous oxide, a piston upgrade is usually a must. Many experts say any engine that is capable of producing upwards of 400 horsepower, revs beyond 6,500 rpm, is boosted or uses nitrous must have pistons that can take the punishment. For these kind of applications, that usually means upgrading to some type of performance pistons

Now for Hyper pistons...

...Hypereutectic pistons (which are also cast) were introduced over a decade ago for OEM engines that required something stronger than an ordinary cast piston. Hypereutectic alloys contain a much higher level of silicon (16.5 to 18 percent versus 8.5 to 10.5 percent in a typical cast piston alloy such as SAE 332 or F-132). Silicon increases hardness for reduced ring groove, pin boss and skirt wear. Hypereutectic alloys are slightly lighter (about 2 percent) than standard cast alloys, and can be machined somewhat thinner to reduce overall piston weight about 10 percent.

Hypereutectic alloys also handle heat better than standard cast alloys and undergo about 15 percent less expansion when the alloy gets hot because its silicon formulation rejects heat. Since hypereutectic pistons don't conduct heat they can be installed with somewhat tighter cylinder bore clearances to reduce ring flex and piston rock for improved sealing. Hypereutectic pistons that are made for performance applications may also receive a heat treatment to increase their strength; but how much is necessary is a subject of some debate

I know its long but it really helps..
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:56 AM
11 Second Club

i know what type of pistons i want i plan on getting forged i was kinda wondering what brand. im hopin to keep cost down by using factory heads hand ported. should i get forged rods and what about a crank is the stock one adequit
Old 02-18-2010 | 04:05 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

LOL at the hypereutectic Wiki copy/paste! We know you want to help. Just tell him what he asked for. You told him about the stock pistons in these motors.

Stock crank is fine.
There are several different brands and styles of rods you could go with. I ran Diamond pistons -2cc and Eagle H beams w/ tooled steel wrist pins in my forged 347. It was built around a nitrous platform.

You dont see a lot of H beams in LS1's. Compstar rods and Mahle Pistons or SRP. Lunati is on the expensive side.
Old 02-18-2010 | 04:21 AM
11 Second Club

thanks orangeapeel that was more on the line i was looking for
Old 02-18-2010 | 04:38 AM
TECH Addict

Don't forget ARP rod bolts, head bolts, and maybe even main cap bolts. I'd also recomend a double roller timing set and ported or high volume oil pump.

I'm running Mahle forged pistons
Old 02-18-2010 | 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

yea i plan on getting all arp bolts for the build