Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Oil looks like chocolate Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Oil looks like chocolate Idea?

I think i have antifreeze in my oil, i just bought this engine ....my bad i should have checked better ?

What is the cause of this in a LS1 any easy way to figure this out ...i am thinking head gasket ..where are the commen leak area's ?

I drove the car before buying the engine it ran fine .

HELP
Old 02-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by snolan
I think i have antifreeze in my oil, i just bought this engine ....my bad i should have checked better ?

What is the cause of this in a LS1 any easy way to figure this out ...i am thinking head gasket ..where are the commen leak area's ?

I drove the car before buying the engine it ran fine .

HELP
Hershey's or Parade? lol jk By chocolate you mean like a dark chocolate or more towards the caramel side. I had like a caramel color in my radiator. It was antifreeze and oil. This is due to a blown head gasket. Its kinda like peanut butter as well.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Default color / Carmel better description

Yes that is correct ....is this common and does this wipe out the bearings ...or are LS motors able to handle this without damage?

anyway to test before replacing head gaskets ..should i use gm gaskets and replace the head bolts ..i seen aGM kit to 129 ...all gaskets and bolts.

?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need to replace the head gaskets. gm MLS headgaskets will be fine. You will also need new head bolts.

This might be overkill but it might be a good idea to replace some extra gaskets while your in there. Its got everything you will need and more.
http://sdpc2000.com/details/scoggin-...ter/kitsd28902

also, no motor should be ran with a bad headgasket. It will destroy the bearings. It will probably run ok at first but after awhile it wont be running at all. Fix this immediately unless you want to be buying a whole new motor.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Don't go tearing it apart yet it's not conclusive to say my oil looks or my coolant looks....

You can do a cranking compression test and a leakdown test to find out if there's really a problem. Do a search on this site or google to learn how to do those tests.