Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil soaking lifters???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"TO SOAK OR NOT TO SOAK" That is the QUESTION?????
Old 02-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Well I know that covering metal to metal surfaces in oil will prevent abnormal wear which is common sense so I would assume that rule applies to this issue as well. My only question is if I will get an accurate reading with the lifters pumped up with oil if I soak them when using a pushrod length checker I don't want my fresh motor to run like shat and break a valvetrain part.

Sorry for hijacking the thread...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
no, you just need to make sure you can push the plunger down when checking for pushrod length. you cant push the plunger down if its full of oil.
I soaked mine for 2 weeks and I could feel the plunger acting as a spring. It was able to be depressed.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

tell me again you cant set preload with an LS1. im guessing you have never built one or you would know lifter preload on an LS engine is set with pushrod length.
Lol..I've never built one..I'm a newb..
Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before anyone posts up about things they don't know about.....if the lifters didn't have a slight amount of bleed off how do you think the valves would close completely at TDC. Think about before you post up any stupid crap about how lifters work.

If your lifters "PUMP UP" yer done...engine no longer will run because the valves will be open ALL the time.

I'm arguing about this but i can tell you i've got about 40 years engine experience.

All hydlr lifters have a certain amount of bleed down area bulit into them!

GET OVER IT ..its the space you use to adjust the preload...even if you preload the lifter lets say .100 the ENTIRE lifter preload area is reliefed on every stroke.

Lets say the design is .125 and you preload the lifters @ .100 the .025 is the area the that ALLOWS the valves to close at TDC.

I know most of you wouldn't understand it but i can't help that. GET OVER IT!

If you can't adjust lifters after soaking them and pumping ooil into them its because you got dirt inside the relief-bleed hole!

Last edited by O2Form; 02-25-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Ok..good post.

So would you soak them?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by O2Form
Before anyone posts up about things they don't know about.....if the lifters didn't have a slight amount of bleed off how do you think the valves would close completely at TDC. Think about before you post up any stupid crap about how lifters work.

If your lifters "PUMP UP" yer done...engine no longer will run because the valves will be open ALL the time.

I'm arguing about this but i can tell you i've got about 40 years engine experience.

GET OVER IT ..its the space you use to adjust the preload...even if you preload the lifter lets say .100 the ENTIRE lifter preload area is reliefed on every stroke.

Lets say the design is .125 and you preload the lifters @ .100 the .025 is the area the that ALLOWS the valves to close at TDC.

If you can't adjust lifters after soaking them and pumping ooil into them its because you got dirt inside the relief-bleed hole!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by O2Form

So what you're saying is when you are setting preload you are actually opening the valves if you get say .02 more preload then is necessary? In all my 53 years of working on cars and reading tons of info on every engine part you have come up with new information that was not included in any book I have read. Why did the authors neglect to include this valuable and needed information?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 88rx7v8
"TO SOAK OR NOT TO SOAK" That is the QUESTION?????
Soak them.. you aren't putting Oil in there under pressure, and while they are sitting in the Engine as you finish assembling it any extra Oil that is in them will ooze out due to gravity. It just so conviently happens to run all over the Cam and Crank while it's dribbling down too.

Like mentioned the best gain in this IMO is the fact that they are all covered in Oil and lubed internally & externally.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Soak them.. you aren't putting Oil in there under pressure, and while they are sitting in the Engine as you finish assembling it any extra Oil that is in them will ooze out due to gravity. It just so conviently happens to run all over the Cam and Crank while it's dribbling down too.

Like mentioned the best gain in this IMO is the fact that they are all covered in Oil and lubed internally & externally.
you just cant accept the caft that your wrong and stop posting bad info in this thread can you?

i find it hard to beleive that you still think Comp Cams and Crane Cams is wrong and your right.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread is getting old, really it is. The OP wanted to know about soaking lifters which most of us do for lubrication purposes. Crane cams indicates it only becomes an issue when you hand pump lifters with oil. As far as I can see none of us have claimed to do so. Laying lifters in an oil bath WILL NOT damage anything and is a good practice from a lubrication stand point.

If you dont believe in it cool. But it alone is never going to do any harm. Lets move on............ Or we could keep up the "my dick is bigger battle".
Old 02-26-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^^He's right
Old 02-26-2010, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

you just cant accept the caft that your wrong and stop posting bad info in this thread can you?

i find it hard to beleive that you still think Comp Cams and Crane Cams is wrong and your right.
Im pretty sure its the opposite guy...

Looks like you need to read all of what was posted and in depth..
Old 02-26-2010, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

my dick is bigger....

looks like you need to read.

comp says dont soak them, the_merv says soak them.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

i digress.

its not good practice to soak them overnight because it makes setting preload more difficult.

but i see to catastrophic downfalls to soaking them overnight or over a month for that matter. so do what you want.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
This thread is getting old, really it is. The OP wanted to know about soaking lifters which most of us do for lubrication purposes. Crane cams indicates it only becomes an issue when you hand pump lifters with oil. As far as I can see none of us have claimed to do so. Laying lifters in an oil bath WILL NOT damage anything and is a good practice from a lubrication stand point.

If you dont believe in it cool. But it alone is never going to do any harm. Lets move on............ Or we could keep up the "my dick is bigger battle".
This guy can read...

Lets start some grade school subjects since were already here.

First off, who here has actually built multiple engines and soaked the lifters?

If not they need to be left out of this thread IMO.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always soak them before install on solid or hyd. When I set pre load on the hyd cam engines on the stand, I have never had a problem and the engines seam to perform ok. I also pump up the engine with oil pressure for 30-40 minutes before it leaves for the car.

Kurt
Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
This guy can read...

Lets start some grade school subjects since were already here.

First off, who here has actually built multiple engines and soaked the lifters?

If not they need to be left out of this thread IMO.
I have built multiple hydraulic roller and solid roller SBC/BBC engines, that's why I commented in this thread...
Old 02-26-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

I know my dick is bigger because I always have to soak mine in oil before I put it in
Old 02-26-2010, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sixt9er
I have built multiple hydraulic roller and solid roller SBC/BBC engines, that's why I commented in this thread...
and thats why your comment made sense

Quick Reply: Oil soaking lifters???