Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry sleeves & Wet Sleeves!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:48 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Dry sleeves & Wet Sleeves!!!

I just wounder...

What is the benefit of the bored motor with dry sleeves and wet sleeves…

I know the dry sleeves uses water as a coolant media for the block, while the wet uses a special type of coolant media.

But I don’t see the benefit between the wet and dry…

I’m kind a new here, where I read a lot of post about the wet and dry and I would like to have some info about it

Thank you for your help…

Old 12-29-2003, 04:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6
If you are asking a legit question which I am not so sure you are, then why use the " ". It seems a little out of place don't you think?

I could not tell if you wanted the difference and benefits between the 2 or if you just wanted to know the benefits of overboring an engine.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:45 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sleeve for sleeve they are completely different. A standard dry sleeve uses the stock water passeges for cooling. Theoretically the sleeve is still pressed into the aluminum all the way down. However there really is a paper thin portion of aluminum just leaving the sleeve. This has been the most popular sleeve to this point because it functions like the factory sleeves.

The wet sleeves are entirely different. Basically the entire water jacket and all of the cylinders are opened up. The wet sleeves are pressed in and interlock against each other. The wall thickness of the sleeves are exceptionally better. Once all the sleeves are pressed in there is a new deck surface as well as completely new water passages around the cylinders. That's the major structural difference between the two.

I'm sure much of the coolant difference is due to the sleeves being entirely submerged in the coolant passages. The chemical reaction is probably quite a bit different over the aluminum block. I'm sure someone may chime in with those specifics.

Quick Reply: Dry sleeves & Wet Sleeves!!!