Sponsored by:

gto lateral g oiling solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Air
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gto lateral g oiling solutions?

I have read that f-bodys have bad oiling problems with sustained high-g turns.

I can find numerous trap-door baffles and threads discussing this.

Do gto pans have the same issue? I have a gto pan in my 240, and it is becoming a full fledged track car. I do not want to end up with a farted up motor..

I cannot find a baffle to fit my US gto-oil pan.. I found the improved motorsports baffle for the holden pans, but they say it will-not fit the gto pan.

I am planning on getting a accusump. Will this be enough to stop my fears of oiling problems, or should i still continue to think about a baffle?

Should i get a 1, 2, or 3 quart accusump system?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

They only way to go is dry sump for high-g turns. http://www.drysump.com/index1.htm
Old 03-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a high g turn that goes for a long distance at high rpm the oil sloshes to the side of the pan and the crank throws the oil to the side of the pan, so the pickup starts sucking air. An accusump puts oil back into the engine when the pressure drops off. It's a cheap solution over a dry sump system, but it has it's limitations because it can only keep adding so much oil back into the car before it too goes dry.

Is this for racing at a particular track? I would ask the local guys at your track and see what they are running. Dry sump oiling systems are great, but very expensive.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Air
Staging Lane

How bad (in comparison to f-body) are the gto pans?

I would assume since nobody makes a oil baffle that they arent that bad, but thats a scarry assumption to make. Are there that many people who race ls1-gto's to have a oiling issue? I would say there are probably more 240sx swaps like me having this issue than gto guys having it.

I have no problem spending the $3-4 hundred bucks on a 3quart accusump system if it will be a good solution and not a band-aid. I have not had any issues yet with my oil pressure (car has been on track at VIR, will be at CMP soon). I am not a huge track junkie, but this car is slowly becoming a track car build and i will eventually turn into a track junkie im sure.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Teching In

A three quart accusump system will do what you need it to do,with out going to a dry sump. I have one and have had one on every fast car that I put together,they work great.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

do you by any chance have a listing of all the part numbers needed to set up a 3 qt system?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Air
Staging Lane

sikky sells the entire kit you would want for like 370 bucks.. setup for a Ls1 GTO. I havent looked to see if its cheaper anywhere else.