Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Higher oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Higher oil pressure?

I've searched and found 50/50 answer's all over the place.

I recently purchased an 02' Z28. My pride and joy, car has 60k on it and ever since I bought it the oil pressure at idle is around 63-65psi, and cruising at 2k and up is around 76-78psi.

The mere fact that it is so far up on the OP gauge is what worries me, However I have had no problems so far. Car runs tops and still impresses me 3 months since I bought it, and although I know too much oil pressure can be a bad thing, I feel a little bit safer with the extra oil pressure on a higher revving car.

It is a H/C car, and as far as oil goes, it has a ported ls6 oil pump, JMB performance oil catch can, and Filled her up today with Castrol Syntec (European blend) 0w-30, per previous owners instructions. He has proved to be very knowledgeable so I have no reason to doubt his word.

The only thing I can think of besides the worst possible scenario (clogged oil passage) Is the fact that the car has TSP 5.3l Stage 2.5 heads. And searching on ls1tech I've found a lot of 5.3l truck guys are having similar problems, of high oil pressure. Could it just be the head work?

thanks for any help, sorry for the long post.

Anoushir
Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you used a regular 5w-30 like pennzoil platinum I'm sure it'll drop to your likings, like 50's idle, etc.

It's the 0w-30 German Castrol you're using, it's more like a 0w-40, I put some in my stock car, and it raised the psi like 5-10, so instead of 37-40 its more like 45-48 at idle.

In your case I'd just use a Quality Synthetic like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum., either way, you're fine.

Looks like you got a pretty nice setup.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mischief
If you used a regular 5w-30 like pennzoil platinum I'm sure it'll drop to your likings, like 50's idle, etc.

It's the 0w-30 German Castrol you're using, it's more like a 0w-40, I put some in my stock car, and it raised the psi like 5-10, so instead of 37-40 its more like 45-48 at idle.

In your case I'd just use a Quality Synthetic like Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum., either way, you're fine.

Thanks for the information and compliment. The previous owner warned me that 0w-30 is the only oil that will keep the car from actually burning oil. I'm simply guessing but I would assume something to do with the untouched pcv system? any input?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mischief

Thanks for the information and compliment. The previous owner warned me that 0w-30 is the only oil that will keep the car from actually burning oil. I'm simply guessing but I would assume something to do with the untouched pcv system? any input?

I was going to also do a compression test, but ike previously states, the car runs absolutely top, and I've never seen a trace of oil out the exhaust.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Well, burning oil won't hurt, it's pretty normal for a lot of ls1 cars with the stock ls1 PCV system, I believe the LS6 PCV system fixed this issue, but its a hassle to convert for the average do it yourselfer, the remedy is a catch can which you already have.

Mine doesn't burn a drop, doesnt matter what I use, but your car is pretty tastefully modded.

You'll just have to try the two oils I suggested and see how it works for you, keep an eye on the oil levels.

You also have a catch can, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I like your setup because im going with the same heads, and a torquer v2, same oil pump as well, and have set my mind on that like 3 months ago.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nitrobasher
I've searched and found 50/50 answer's all over the place.

I recently purchased an 02' Z28. My pride and joy, car has 60k on it and ever since I bought it the oil pressure at idle is around 63-65psi, and cruising at 2k and up is around 76-78psi.

The mere fact that it is so far up on the OP gauge is what worries me, However I have had no problems so far. Car runs tops and still impresses me 3 months since I bought it, and although I know too much oil pressure can be a bad thing, I feel a little bit safer with the extra oil pressure on a higher revving car.

It is a H/C car, and as far as oil goes, it has a ported ls6 oil pump, JMB performance oil catch can, and Filled her up today with Castrol Syntec (European blend) 0w-30, per previous owners instructions. He has proved to be very knowledgeable so I have no reason to doubt his word.

The only thing I can think of besides the worst possible scenario (clogged oil passage) Is the fact that the car has TSP 5.3l Stage 2.5 heads. And searching on ls1tech I've found a lot of 5.3l truck guys are having similar problems, of high oil pressure. Could it just be the head work?

thanks for any help, sorry for the long post.

Anoushir
Well I have good news and bad news...

Your high oil pressure issue is NOT caused by headwork or a clogged passage. This is not possible because the oil pump will only pressurize the oil to the point that the pressure relief valve opens, which keeps the pressure in check.

So the only possibilities are that the oil pump is equipped with a higher pressure relief valve than stock, or the relief valve is stuck closed, causing high pressure.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Well I have good news and bad news...

Your high oil pressure issue is NOT caused by headwork or a clogged passage. This is not possible because the oil pump will only pressurize the oil to the point that the pressure relief valve opens, which keeps the pressure in check.

So the only possibilities are that the oil pump is equipped with a higher pressure relief valve than stock, or the relief valve is stuck closed, causing high pressure.
I believe this is a TSP ported oil pump, not 100% sure on that, however I don't see an option to add a higher pressure relief valve, is that a normal upgrade?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Teching In

I pretty much have the same problem and am interested if anything else comes from this. I've had the car for about a year, but only driving it for about 2 months. It has a ported ls6 pump, and idle pressure is around 60ish, and recently when on the throttle is close to 75ish. Previous owner said it runs higher pressure, but I didn't think it was that high (haven't driven it in about 5 months). This morning it was up around 80 in 5th at around 2300 rpm. Still runs good, not noises, but is this normal? Oil has only been in it for about 1500 miles, but I'm thinking about changing it in the next week or two. Mobil 1 syn 10w30 I believe, but will be going to the 5w30. Not trying to steal the thread but it seems simplier than posting my own when its the same issue.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your oil pressure is fine and so is the oil that the previous owner recommended. The German Castrol has been proven to be one of the best oils for these motors. I have ran it in all three Fbodies I have had. My oil pressure is similar to yours due to my oil pump as well.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

with the german castrol and higher pressure/ported pump that doesn't seem to far fetched.
I'm expecting to be around 55-60 idle once I intall my melling HV 296
Old 04-01-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are fine. I would love to see that OP. You just have good bearing clearances meaning you car has not been beat on. And keep running the GC. It is good stuff and all my car ever gets.....
Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ported oil pump would definitely increase the pressure. I'm pretty sure they install a shim into the bypass valve. You can go in and remove it to get more reasonable pressures. Mine idled 50-55psi and 80psi at redline. My truck will do nearly 80psi cruising with the stock oil pump. Also if the engine has ever been rebuilt, bearing clearances will also have a large effect on the oil pressure.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Banned

Before i would believe the factory oil pressure gauge i would install a real gauge and check it. The factory gauge is not very accurate.