Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 camaro wiring drama

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 98 camaro wiring drama

someone help me before this car goes to the crusher! i recently transplanted the motor, trans, wiring harness, dash, computer, and front clip from my side-swiped-and totaled 98 SS camaro into a 99 z28 with 6,000 miles; which was wrecked in the front. the junkyard vultures pretty much stripped the newer 99 of all the goods, so i used all of the necessary stuff from the 98. i have everything together (i even took the time to put heads and cam into the motor), but i cannot get this thing to turn over. ive checked all the obvious stuff about 3x; fuses, grounds, connections, relays, ect... i put a brand new battery into it, and all i get when i push the clutch in and turn the key is a right turn signal indicator lighting up. there are no other dash lights. the heater fan works as well. now heres the kicker, the fuel pump primes up, and that is the only thing left from the 99 that's not part of my original car. ive double checked all of the wires but i have two connectors under the dash with no home. there is one on each side, driver and pass, the one on the pass has 5 wires and the other has two, i believe grey and black. i ordered and new starter for the heck of it, but getto napa did not have it in stock. the 98 ran and drove before the swap, so what did i do wrong? also the computer was unplugged out of the car, stored inside for about 9 months. is there a shelf life on those things? someone help!!!!!!!

Last edited by brunz21; 03-08-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

what harness and computer is in it now?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Teching In

its got the harness and computer out of the 98 ss. i think the only wiring from the new car that remained after it was picked dry was the wiring in the doors and a small loom that runs to the rear from the passenger side of dash.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

i assume those harnesses are the same as the later years or at least compatible.

anyway back to the subject. your going to have to take a voltmeter and see what is responding to ign and str. the computer knows what the key position is because the pump is priming, so there are things that arent connected or the pcm is shot.

if is shot and everything is connected properly and the wires are ok the pcm is either starting the boot up and failing. i dont think this is the case because the dash lights turn on simultaneously with the pump. so its possible the computer will only complete some functions and others go out the window.

if the computer is working fine, you'll have to check each part with the voltmeter. Get a scanner and see whats it saying. is the starter turning on? if so check coils, injectors, etc

edit: dont waste your time on a starter. you have much bigger problems from i hear about your signal turning on by your clutch switch.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem when I swaped all my wiring from a 2000 into a 98. Come to find out I put the BCM (body control module) from the 98 into the 2000 wiring harness and nothing worked. Did you switch that also. PM me if you need to as I might not check this thread often
Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

im thinking VATS
Old 03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Teching In

hey thanks for all of the quick responses. as for the starter, no its not responding at all. does anyone know where the larger gauge purple wire comes from before it gets tot he starter solenoid? thats not getting power either and it just disappears into a huge loom right before the computer (im not sure of the technical name for the computer so excuse my ignorance) also where is the BCM? is that the two fuse clusters under the hood in the front drivers side? they were also out of the 98, so far everything in there gets power when i energize the ignition. and what is this VATS thing? i did some looking around on ls1tech and it seems like a security device??? where the hell is that and how do i kill it? do you guys think that may be the problem? im going to get a volt meter tomorrow, and start hitting all the components. this is why all of my other cars had carbs and distributors... thanks again everyone, much appreciated.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Teching In

ok i took some photos of the wiring connectors under the dash with no where to go. i think i located the bcm and that was definitely from the 98. heres a photo of the connector on the passenger side. the one with 4 ends was connected via the grey and black wires under the drivers side. i have no idea where the other 3 plug in at. hope they are clear enough. thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails 98 camaro wiring drama-img_1060.jpg   98 camaro wiring drama-img_1062.jpg   98 camaro wiring drama-img_1063.jpg  
Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't know about the last pic..but here is some help for you on the first two..

http://www.lt1swap.com/ls1_wiring_ha...connectors.htm
Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Teching In

thanks, but i have that already, i just dont have anywhere to plug it in! as for the last photo, i found it under the driver's side dash connected to via a small connector to black and grey wires.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have a fix for this I'm in the process of doing the same swap and have been reading about these two connections under the dash being the main problem
Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to rig a temporary start button strait from the battery, to the button, then to the starter and see if that gets it to fire up.

Sounds like vats to me, if you key dosent match what the computer wants to see it won't let it start.

Quick Reply: 98 camaro wiring drama