Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why L92 heads won't fit LS1/6 UPDATED!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010 | 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jkkaz
Those are some nice pics. How did you get in there to take those pics? Do have hands like the burger king tiny hand guy?

I don't know if they would actualy run very good, but it's interesting to see. Notching the block may not be impossible, but it looks like it would be in the ring area of the piston. I'd make it work and run it if putting an engine in was as easy as changing your clothes and I happend to have a spare block with L-92 heads sitting around.

I have a bare block on the floor with the head bolted to it. Picture was as easy to take as any other picture.

I thought about notching the cylinder just to see how it would work...but I'm in a hurry to get my car together (and KNOW it will run fine)...so I didn't do it.
Old 03-28-2010 | 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in the middle of building my forged 347, and since I just finished the shortblock, I thought I would stick these heads on and see what a 3.905 bore would do.

Guess what? The valves open...both of them. Now I don't know if this is enough to unshroud the valves, but it's interesting.

Would this be safe to run?
Would any power be gained over something like a 243 head?
Will the combustion chamber be obstructed too much?

It would be nice to get some input from one of the pros on the board.
Old 03-28-2010 | 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
^^

I guess the GM Engineers don't know anything either..
which is why mamo tells everyone to throw heads with 250cc ports on a small cube motor right?

or any cylinder head guy for that matter.

velocity is nothing.
Old 04-02-2010 | 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

I'm sorry but I don't understand - you need to explain this to me real slow like I'm a third-grader. You have a 3.905 bore with an L92 head on it... earlier in the thread you said that there was no interference with the valves closed, and now you are saying that there is also no interference with the valves open?! How is that? What did you do?

Originally Posted by fast377
I'm in the middle of building my forged 347, and since I just finished the shortblock, I thought I would stick these heads on and see what a 3.905 bore would do.

Guess what? The valves open...both of them. Now I don't know if this is enough to unshroud the valves, but it's interesting.

Would this be safe to run?
Would any power be gained over something like a 243 head?
Will the combustion chamber be obstructed too much?

It would be nice to get some input from one of the pros on the board.
Old 04-03-2010 | 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastKat
I'm sorry but I don't understand - you need to explain this to me real slow like I'm a third-grader. You have a 3.905 bore with an L92 head on it... earlier in the thread you said that there was no interference with the valves closed, and now you are saying that there is also no interference with the valves open?! How is that? What did you do?
Earlier I said I had it bolted to a STOCK bore, and the exhaust valve would not open. Then I put the head on a 3.905 bore, and the exhaust valve was able to open. Either way, it's still way too much head for an LS1.
Old 04-04-2010 | 12:26 AM
Banned

This just in: The world is round!
Old 04-04-2010 | 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, I didn't realize it was that close, and that .007-8" would make that much of a difference. Are the exhaust valves angled so that they travel closer toward the cylinder wall as they open?

If they do not travel closer to the cylinder wall as they open, I wonder if you could put the exhaust valves on a lathe and take about .010" off the edge of the valve, still have the valve seal properly, but also not come into contact with the cylinder wall?

Earlier I said I had it bolted to a STOCK bore, and the exhaust valve would not open. Then I put the head on a 3.905 bore, and the exhaust valve was able to open. Either way, it's still way too much head for an LS1.
Old 04-04-2010 | 10:44 PM
Banned

Wow, I didn't realize it was that close, and that .007-8" would make that much of a difference. Are the exhaust valves angled so that they travel closer toward the cylinder wall as they open?

If they do not travel closer to the cylinder wall as they open, I wonder if you could put the exhaust valves on a lathe and take about .010" off the edge of the valve, still have the valve seal properly, but also not come into contact with the cylinder wall?
You really think just barely clearing the cylinder wall would make these work?

Think about the cylinder wall as an extension of the combustion chamber. You want optimally .1875 inches between the valve and chamber (or cylinder wall) past .25D or else you are going to hamper engine performance.
Old 04-05-2010 | 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't know how much room you needed to make them "work", that's why I asked the question.

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
You really think just barely clearing the cylinder wall would make these work?
Old 04-05-2010 | 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great entertainment.....awesome thread. I love the part where l92's can maybe work if open up the cylinder in the area it contacts.
Old 04-05-2010 | 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, the combustion chamber looks like it creates a little cavity above the edge of the cylinder wall. Does that happen on a 4" bore as well, or is the L92 head's chamber < 4" wide?

It's not the giant intake valve that is the problem. It's actually the exhaust valve that hits. The pictures are of stock L92 heads milled 20 on a stock bore LS1 (with no head gaskets). Both valves are open quite a bit also. You might be able to notch the side of the cylinder to allow the exhaust valve to fully open...it doesn't lack much. Now once it's all bolted together, I don't know if there would be any issues with the intake valve, but as it sits it fits. So there you go. They fit, but they don't.

Now the combustion chambers are obviously big bore also...so there is another problem.
Old 04-05-2010 | 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

lolz!
Old 04-05-2010 | 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, I think that you are thinking I was supporting the idea and that grinding away in just the area it contacts will work.

But please try it on a stock sleeve.....let alone not evenly boring out the whole cylinder. Just grind it up at the contact point. I'm sure there won't be any problems.
Old 04-05-2010 | 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
But please try it on a stock sleeve.....let alone not evenly boring out the whole cylinder. Just grind it up at the contact point. I'm sure there won't be any problems.
I put the heads on my shortblock myself - I know how thin the sleeves are. You know how thin the sleeves are, because you probably installed the heads on your LS1, too... or did you read it somewhere? Or maybe see a picture in a book... or better yet - saw it on the internet!!

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Haha, I think that you are thinking I was supporting the idea and that grinding away in just the area it contacts will work.
If you really think that, you are as stupid as I think you are. Don't disappoint me!
Old 04-06-2010 | 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

are you really saying you're going to notch the cyl wall for valve clearance?
Old 04-06-2010 | 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kmracer
are you really saying you're going to notch the cyl wall for valve clearance?
I thought that is what he was saying! I really really want to see that happen!!!! lol
Old 04-06-2010 | 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put the heads on my shortblock myself - I know how thin the sleeves are. You know how thin the sleeves are, because you probably installed the heads on your LS1, too... or did you read it somewhere? Or maybe see a picture in a book... or better yet - saw it on the internet!!
You don't have to try to put a .45 round into a 9mm chamber to know it won't fit. You don't have to see it either. It's common f'ing sense.
Old 04-06-2010 | 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Strange question, but are the valves seated in the heads? Or did you drop the valves down from the inside of the cyl when you bolted the heads down and turned the engine over?
Old 04-06-2010 | 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
Strange question, but are the valves seated in the heads? Or did you drop the valves down from the inside of the cyl when you bolted the heads down and turned the engine over?
Valves were seated in the head when the head was bolted on.
Old 04-06-2010 | 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

They look really odd, offcenter almost.

Quick Reply: Why L92 heads won't fit LS1/6 UPDATED!!