Sponsored by:

Misfire Help???... Im out of ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Keith_Shapiro
A lot of websites and people are saying coil packs, I'm going to switch mine around (swap side to side) and see if I have the problem on the opposite side! Then ill let you know what happens
What is the conclusion to this thread? Did anyone ever fix anything? Identify anything? How can we help each other if there is no resolution?
Its endless and meaningless musings otherwise.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Teching In

I forgot to get back on this thread and give everyone a follow up! I found the problem with my car. It involved taking it to the dealership and having their head technician find the cause!

He told me that at Wide Open Throttle the 02 sensors are on a closed loop. Meaning that they turn off and the car will no longer regulate the air to fuel ratio (or something like that). He told me whenever I felt it misfire, to put the pedal to the floor and see if the problem stops. As such, as soon as I felt it misfire, the pedal went to the floor. The misfiring came to a stop and so did the shuttering/stammer. I replaced the front O2 sensors on each side and the problem was still present. I then replaced the rear O2 sensors and the problem was fixed! The fact that only one side of the motor was misfiring was due to a faulty rear O2 sensor on the left side of the car. I also want to say that you have to check the wires running to the O2 sensor (Somethimes, they get damaged or torn). They said the reason it didn't trip a code was because it hadn't completely failed. I would reccomend changing all of the O2 sensors before doing anything else. There was also a leak in the hose leading to the PCV valve. It seems to be a common problem with the LS1! They don't sell the little rubber connection piece to the PCV valve so use a 3/8' piece of hose and you should be fine! I hope this helps everyone else with the same problem.

Originally Posted by TeeRod
What is the conclusion to this thread? Did anyone ever fix anything? Identify anything? How can we help each other if there is no resolution?
Its endless and meaningless musings otherwise.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the rear 02's fixed it........hmmmmmmm I don't believe it.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I_eight_riceburners
I forgot to get back on this thread and give everyone a follow up! I found the problem with my car. It involved taking it to the dealership and having their head technician find the cause!

He told me that at Wide Open Throttle the 02 sensors are on a closed loop. Meaning that they turn off and the car will no longer regulate the air to fuel ratio (or something like that). He told me whenever I felt it misfire, to put the pedal to the floor and see if the problem stops. As such, as soon as I felt it misfire, the pedal went to the floor. The misfiring came to a stop and so did the shuttering/stammer. I replaced the front O2 sensors on each side and the problem was still present. I then replaced the rear O2 sensors and the problem was fixed! The fact that only one side of the motor was misfiring was due to a faulty rear O2 sensor on the left side of the car. I also want to say that you have to check the wires running to the O2 sensor (Somethimes, they get damaged or torn). They said the reason it didn't trip a code was because it hadn't completely failed. I would reccomend changing all of the O2 sensors before doing anything else. There was also a leak in the hose leading to the PCV valve. It seems to be a common problem with the LS1! They don't sell the little rubber connection piece to the PCV valve so use a 3/8' piece of hose and you should be fine! I hope this helps everyone else with the same problem.

Yeah...don't think it was your rear o2's. Probably just the fronts. I was going to say, you need to switch mechanics. I can't believe he talked you into replacing all the fuel injectors. You rarely see those fail unless they have a ton of miles on them and they are not all are going to fail at once. Keep that in mind, same with the coil packs everyone is talking about. I would say a 99.9% chance you will never see all the coil packs go bad at one time. Anyways, glad you got your car back in running order.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Teching In

**Correction, he stated that it was the front O2 sensors causing the problem but he wanted to replace them all**

Quick Reply: Misfire Help???... Im out of ideas!