Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiseco dished piston to wall clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiseco dished piston to wall clearance

Hey everyone. I have myself a little situation with pistons and wall clearances. First off, I bought some used Wiseco dished pistons that are '402' pistons and recommends a "4.005" finished bore/hone. So here's my problem, my block is honed to 4.005", but the machine shop I had the pistons sent to called me today and said the pistons are too small and that if installed I would have moderate piston slap. He said that they think the piston is meant for a stock bore (4.000).

If what I'm thinking of what the machine shop guy said, then if they will work in a stock bored block then wouldn't the piston be measured at like 3.995-3.997? And that would still be a 402 right? (6.0 iron block). So lets say if the piston measures at 3.997 with a 4.005" hone that would be .008" clearance, or .010" clearance if the piston measures at 3.995. If that's the case, then taking a piston with that much clearance, would it be problematic for the 4.005" finished hone? I'm not sure of the clearance specs that these pistons need. I read somewhere that a Diamond 2618 piston spec sheet says .007" clearance. I will call the shop in the morning and have them give me the exact measurement of the piston.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the machine shop is not smart enough to call Wiseco and give them the part number on the piston to find details you need to find another machine shop. I prefer tighter clearance for piston to bore.....something like .004".
Old 03-19-2010, 08:56 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
If the machine shop is not smart enough to call Wiseco and give them the part number on the piston to find details you need to find another machine shop. I prefer tighter clearance for piston to bore.....something like .004".
I agree. I'd be wary of a shop that doesn't bother to look up the piston specs from the manufacturer, especially used pistons.

Usually ~.004" is the norm for a 2618 alloy piston in a streetcar type engine. If you have too much piston-wall clearance, you can send the pistons out to get coated. The coating will take up that extra clearance, but by then, you might as well have bought new pistons.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And it's worth asking if he is measuring the pistons correctly. You'd be amzed at how many machine shops don't have the tools or know-how to properly setup measure piston to wall clearance!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys. and actually they did look up in their catalog and didn't find this piston. it was a custom ordered piston and doesn't have a part number (16cc, 4.00 stroke, 402 piston). they are supposed to measure below the grooves right, where the skirt is the widest? I'll be sure to mention that as well. as for their reputation, the best LSx mechanic/tuner in our state recommended me to them, as they've done pretty much all of his customer's machine work. I actually decided the 80 miles distance from here to there would be worth it just because I trust his recommendation.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:50 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by candlelit
thanks guys. and actually they did look up in their catalog and didn't find this piston. it was a custom ordered piston and doesn't have a part number (16cc, 4.00 stroke, 402 piston). they are supposed to measure below the grooves right, where the skirt is the widest? I'll be sure to mention that as well. as for their reputation, the best LSx mechanic/tuner in our state recommended me to them, as they've done pretty much all of his customer's machine work. I actually decided the 80 miles distance from here to there would be worth it just because I trust his recommendation.
A new set of pistons should come with a spec card, including the manufacturer's recommended clearance, as well as where to measure the diameter. Given that it's a used custom piston, I think it would be a very good idea to call Wiseco and get the spec card.

However, if the pistons are too small, then the pistons are too small.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I called Wiseco today and they said the standard for 2618 alloy forged pistons is .004, but with my iron block & 12-13 lbs of boost he mentioned .0045 to .005. So, with this information I called the machine shop and they said the guy who has been working with me on my stuff is out of town and won't be back til Monday. If these pistons really are smaller than 4.000 then how much will getting them coated cost me? I guess they (who?) charge per piston? If it's not expensive it may be worthwhile because I got a good deal on this set. Or I can just sell them, get a new piston with new rings, and I'd literally save $300 by going stock stroke 365ci instead of 403ci assuming my pistons wouldn't need coated. If the seller told me it was a "402 piston" & "requires a 4.005 finished bore" I'm unsure if it'd be ethically right to debate the problem with the seller if these pistons turn out to measure around 3.995 to 3.998 and really would only properly work with a 4.000-4.003 finished bore

Last edited by candlelit; 03-19-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:20 AM
KCS

I called Wiseco today and they said the standard for 2618 alloy forged pistons is .004, but with my iron block & 12-13 lbs of boost he mentioned .0045 to .005.
Yeah, the more power the engine makes, and therefore more heat, the more that piston will want to expand. I've seen as much as .007" in a 2000hp turbo car, and then click off 188MPH at the track.

So, with this information I called the machine shop and they said the guy who has been working with me on my stuff is out of town and won't be back til Monday. If these pistons really are smaller than 4.000 then how much will getting them coated cost me? I guess they (who?) charge per piston? If it's not expensive it may be worthwhile because I got a good deal on this set.
Polydyne here in Houston coats piston skirts, bearings, etc., but from my experience, they seem to always have little bumps in the coatings. I don't know if it's dirt or coating clumps, but it doesn't seem very high quality. Calico, however, seems to be a lot nicer. I've seen 2-3 sets of pistons and bearings from them, and they looked flawless. I think each company will charge about $20-40 per piston, depending on the coatings.

Or I can just sell them, get a new piston with new rings, and I'd literally save $300 by going stock stroke 365ci instead of 403ci assuming my pistons wouldn't need coated. If the seller told me it was a "402 piston" & "requires a 4.005 finished bore" I'm unsure if it'd be ethically right to debate the problem with the seller if these pistons turn out to measure around 3.995 to 3.998 and really would only properly work with a 4.000-4.003 finished bore.
That's the problems with buying used stuff, you never really know what you get until you've bought it. If you can save money by going with 365ci, I'd do that. I know, I know, "no replacement for displacement", but with the stock stroke you can get a super strong piston (lasts longer) that doesn't have the oil ring intersect the pin, and best of all, it's a brand new piston that you know hasn't been abused.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 274 Likes on 104 Posts

I have never seen an instance where a skirt coating was used to compensate for an undersize piston. A coating is just that a coating, it is sacrificial.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

I'm running X-seriers wiseco's in my iron 383 "5.3 Block" and i had my local coaters coat just the tops since wiseco did the sides already and it ran me 200$, i'm running a high DCR in a big truck so i wanted extra insurance, FWIW ring seal is critical in these short cyl wall blocks and i have an excellent machinest and since the coatings are anywhere from .0005-.001 thick both sides and it will wear we run .0035 p-wall with awesome ring seal, he does machining for a lot of C6 twin Turbo LS7 alluminum blocks as well, i honestly wouldn't go past .004 if it were my own and that will still make a lill noise fwiw
Old 03-20-2010, 05:16 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by helicoil
I have never seen an instance where a skirt coating was used to compensate for an undersize piston. A coating is just that a coating, it is sacrificial.
Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There are all types of coatings, not all of them are necessarily sacrificial either. Take Nikasil for example. It's a coating, used by Katech among others, and serves as the friction surface between the aluminum piston/rings and aluminum block where an iron liner would typically be used. Same with Casidiam, another type of coating, except it's normally used on lifters, valves, and piston pins.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

My flat top 408 was set up to .003 on each side, so .006 total. NA motor, per manufactures specifications.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

update: couple of random pistons were measured and they said they were at or slightly below 4.000, like 3.999, making clearance .005 to .006 rather than the recommended .0045 to .005. How bad will piston slap be at that amount of clearance? Guess the rule of thumb is a little more clearance with an increase in boost, so how about adding more boost to compensate only problem with that is breaking more crap, and that it'll be NA until next year.

ring grooves were measured 1/16, 1/16, & 3mm with spacer rail. 1/16 is equivalent to 1.58mm. any ring recommendations out there?
Old 03-23-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump for this thread lol.

current topic is, opinions on .006" piston-wall clearance with the older Wiseco pistons. Will piston slap be annoying? and would you all recommend Hellfire or Total Seal AP rings? Will be ran NA as a daily driver for about 5k miles before the switch to boost (11-14psi). I'm just kinda worried about getting them seated.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Teching In

I would consider using a new machine shop. If they really knew what they were doing they would have measured the pistons BEFORE honing the block so the pistons would fit. Calling you afterwords and saying your "Pistons are too big" seems like a fly by night shop to me.

Good Machine shops individually hone each bore to each piston and refuse to hone the engine without the pistons sitting right there being measured.

My .02.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
I would consider using a new machine shop. If they really knew what they were doing they would have measured the pistons BEFORE honing the block so the pistons would fit. Calling you afterwords and saying your "Pistons are too big" seems like a fly by night shop to me.

Good Machine shops individually hone each bore to each piston and refuse to hone the engine without the pistons sitting right there being measured.

My .02.
guess I didn't mention it anywhere, I bought the block separately & it was already honed. machine shop didn't touch it.

Quick Reply: Wiseco dished piston to wall clearance