Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a MS4 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually they can tune that out. You will get bucking in 5th or 6th gear under a certain rpm though. Even on a stock car.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Actually they can tune that out. You will get bucking in 5th or 6th gear under a certain rpm though. Even on a stock car.
Not Quite. I have brought it down from 6th gear to about 1000rpms, maybe 900, without it bucking. I have also had it on 1st gear down to about 2mph's without it wanting to die. Its kind of impressive. On the same token though, I have 4.10's and I think the Aluminum flywheel has alot to do with it not bucking on 6th or not stalling on 1st. ...could also be the tune.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
Quick one thing to remember is you don't have to have a big cam to be fast also. But if your going to go to the track from time to time and depending on if it's a 1/4 or 1/8 of a mile then you may want to factor that in also. An if you go with you may want to look into getting a new clutch also unless you have an LS7 at least. If you have a stock one it won't take long after you get on it or see track time it will start slipping.
Yea I got a ls6 clutch but I have plans for a new clutch in the near future, With just my boltons alone I can feel the clutch starting to go but it dose have about 40k miles on it.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MS4 hear, VERY streetable. I drove it everyday for about a month last summer. In stop-go traffic, just fine. My tunner is amazing. He wouldnt let me leave until I was happy! Only thing I dislike about this cam, it take a bit for it to really build power. I had 3:42s, hated it, went to 4:11s got better, new rear with 4:56s is on the way!! Iv been beating by cars that have a lot less and lot smaller cam, (traction issues) but bigger isnt always better. Dyno #s in sig, Cam, Fast 90/90 and Long Tubes Thats it for my turd! I would just keep an eye on your valve springs if you drive the guts out of it..but this cam is in A LOT of cars if you look and has too times at the track. Thats why I went with it, its just geting the whole combo to work at onces..
Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franksaltz28
so your saying that my tuner is bad?
Thats what it sounds like. The way that some tuners can tame these big cams is amazing.
This. He might not be "bad", but an "amazing" tuner will have an Ms4 car running like a 226 cam car. When I bought my current car with another tuner doing the tune it ran worse than my ms4 car did with my tuner doing it. I got him to retune this one and it runs like a stock car.

Even a "good" tuner usually can't get an Ms4 car running perfectly. It is easy to tune at WOT.. mid range and under is what sets tuners apart.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

I made 443/409 with a ******* horrible tune guys... LMFAO Stock Ls6, 92mmTB, M6, 4:10's, LT's, True Duals, 275/40/17 MT's, an eibach drag launch springs. It ran fantastic on a 111LSA it did buck around 2000RPM, but it ran it's *** off with a SD Tune! It ran an hung with some 635RWHP+ 03 cobra's.... Just shows what the Ls-Series motors can do! There are alot of sponsors out there who spend there time with designing an testing cams, but people on a budget don't care about driveability when your trying to make the most power N/A an you don't have the money for a power adder. The Ms4 was designed around a stock cylinder head remember that. So a milled set of PRC, Trickflow, AFR 215, or LS6 Stg 2.5's is prolly the best choice for that cam. You'll need to fly cut for PTV clearance, then top it with a newer style fast an you'll be suprised.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lemons12
This. He might not be "bad", but an "amazing" tuner will have an Ms4 car running like a 226 cam car. When I bought my current car with another tuner doing the tune it ran worse than my ms4 car did with my tuner doing it. I got him to retune this one and it runs like a stock car.

Even a "good" tuner usually can't get an Ms4 car running perfectly. It is easy to tune at WOT.. mid range and under is what sets tuners apart.
That plays a big roll with this cam to like he said mid range and under is what sets tuners apart. If you notice alot of people have issues getting it to run low an mid range along with the idol sometimes. The guy who tuned mine was a fantastic guy, but he could never quite get things where they should have been for my car to run it's best. The car ran good until it blew up from his poor skills, but when i built my new 408 it made 40RWHP more from a guy who tunes mustangs an never touched a Ls-car before mine than the tuner that started tuning my set-up at first. I didn't know he turned off the 02 Sensors either though so that also played a big roll an partial throttle and cruising settings. He was only tuning for WOT gotta watch some of these guys just tuning halfassed an knockin on your wallet's back door.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Teching In

I just bought the car in my sig, and I've been driving it to and from work (62mile commute total) for the past 2 weeks. It runs great, stock heads, 3500 converter, even though I don't know if it's cause I have street tires or I was simply mistold what TC was in here but at a top with brakes on the wheels start spinning around 2500rpm...

Anyways, it runs perfect in all conditions besides when I get on the long blvd stretch to the main st I live off of. I cruise around 40-50mph @1.3-1.5k rpm and if the brake or gas are not applied in those ranges I get horrible cam surge. If either is applied it stops, but begins again if brake or gas is released.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buddy, what gears you have?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Stock 3.23. It was going to be my first upgrade to a 3.73 but after researching found that I would see almost no gain at all in trap time, and launch time would be reduced. I actually might have this torque converter looked at and upgrade it instead to a 4200 rated but I'm quite new to this still.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buddyleex
I just bought the car in my sig, and I've been driving it to and from work (62mile commute total) for the past 2 weeks. It runs great, stock heads, 3500 converter, even though I don't know if it's cause I have street tires or I was simply mistold what TC was in here but at a top with brakes on the wheels start spinning around 2500rpm...

Anyways, it runs perfect in all conditions besides when I get on the long blvd stretch to the main st I live off of. I cruise around 40-50mph @1.3-1.5k rpm and if the brake or gas are not applied in those ranges I get horrible cam surge. If either is applied it stops, but begins again if brake or gas is released.
Sounds like a vacumm problem
Old 03-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fastvet
Sounds like a vacumm problem
Ya I heard of this but regarding braking, not engine surging. Braking seems fine.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by buddyleex
Ya I heard of this but regarding braking, not engine surging. Braking seems fine.
Ahh I got it. I mis read ur post. Thought you said it happened when you pushed the brake. I had the same problem a couple of years ago,Not 100% but I think we fixed it with a tune.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:42 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSWNDR
I made 443/409 with a ******* horrible tune guys... LMFAO Stock Ls6, 92mmTB, M6, 4:10's, LT's, True Duals, 275/40/17 MT's, an eibach drag launch springs. It ran fantastic on a 111LSA it did buck around 2000RPM, but it ran it's *** off with a SD Tune! It ran an hung with some 635RWHP+ 03 cobra's.... Just shows what the Ls-Series motors can do! There are alot of sponsors out there who spend there time with designing an testing cams, but people on a budget don't care about driveability when your trying to make the most power N/A an you don't have the money for a power adder. The Ms4 was designed around a stock cylinder head remember that. So a milled set of PRC, Trickflow, AFR 215, or LS6 Stg 2.5's is prolly the best choice for that cam. You'll need to fly cut for PTV clearance, then top it with a newer style fast an you'll be suprised.

Sounds like you just got a ***** out tune. No tuners usually have an issue with doing those type of tunes. They just do what they want with timing to make it look good on paper. It's everything else that suffers because they just pulled an ***-ton of power out of it and left driveability on the shop room floor under the mop bucket. Usually a bad tuner/shop can have a "happy" customer when they see big numbers on the dyno sheet....but they never tell you that its going to run like sheet.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Teching In

tunner's playa huge role in how a car runs and alo of people take that for granted.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a MS4 cam?