Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I be worried?

I recently had a known speed shop in Houston install PRC 5.3 heads on my LS1. I decided to change the oil this weekend with a friend of mine. When the oil drained out it had a red tent to it and looked thin. My friend made the comment that it almost looked milked! So today I just happen to check the anti-freeze (red high milage collant) and it was only half full in the radiator! The car runs great and runs at a cool 160 degrees. I filled the radiator took the car for a drive and checked the oil feels like honey radiator stayed full.

How can I check for coolant leaking into my engine oil?

Last edited by jester ls1; 03-29-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the shop use red assembly lube when the did the install? If coolant is leaking into the crank case your oil will look chocolate milk / butterscotch pudding. Any white smoke in the rear view mirror?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by conan
Did the shop use red assembly lube when the did the install? If coolant is leaking into the crank case your oil will look chocolate milk / butterscotch pudding. Any white smoke in the rear view mirror?
Thanks Conan, I was able to find the oil filter in the trash! Oil filter was still full of old oil and it looked and felt fine! No collant or water! I never checked out oil so good in my life just about tasted it!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep a eye on the coolant level for the nex week or so. The coolant may not have been toped off all the way after the head swap and burping all the air out of the cooling system.