Older 350 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z98
You can get aluminum blocks for regualr SBC's

(just to stir the pot a little )

He wouldn't know anything about that. You know you couldn't hook up OBD2 or knock sensors to just any motor...lmao.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing that I didn't see mentioned here already is that the LS1 engines come with a roller lifter cam and roller rockers, allowing you to use much more aggresive cam profiles in the LS1. Of course you can set up a SBC for a roller valve train, get a Darton SBC aluminum block and heads, but all that costs extra money.

BTW, my brother in law has a Ford 351C equiped DeTomosso Pantera and is looking for a lighter power plant like a LS1 for that car.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Where are you located? I just pulled a 2000-mile cammed 1969 350ci and 4-speed out of my '69 SS and I'll trade you straight up for your LS1/6-speed. In a "Heartbeat"

Old 01-05-2004, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

you better be getting ready to buy a clutch if it sticks to the floor........either your pressure plate is going bad or you have bad hydraulics...
Old 01-06-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 4mulaJoe
He wouldn't know anything about that. You know you couldn't hook up OBD2 or knock sensors to just any motor...lmao.
Oh WOW you must live on a different planet. I am pretty sure that there was never a STANDARD 350 with OBD-II computer and knock sensors. As for the aluminum comment, I do remember this swap was being considered b/c of cost issues and if you reread the original post he said iron block. 4mulaJoe to clear a few things up what exactly is your idea of a STANDARD 350 ? If you think of a STANDARD 350 as being an all aluminum engine, complete with roller cam, complete with OBD-II software and all sensors then I apologize for my previous statements. I am pretty sure that the general consensus is that a 350 is a carb motor, non-roller, and is all iron. Everything else that CAN be done to it comes at a price and this person stated cost was the major issue. Let me know how your all aluminum, roller and OBD-II STANDARD 350's run 4mulaJoe, be sure to include a price list when you do.
Old 01-06-2004, 02:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blk 2000 z28
standerd 350 doesn't mean STOCK 350...
if he pulled his ls1 and sold it (3k dont seem like it would be hard to get)
the old 350 he could build would destroy his stocker!!! any wrench turner worth his tools can grab a 350 for $100
and 2900 bucks later have a fire breathing 383
thats what us gm boys have been doing to give those blue ovals fits for YEARS!

that being said i would not make the swap as i love the ls1 and am excited to see where it is going.. i think in the years to come it will surpase the old ones in EVERY aspect ... if you have the $$$ you can make the ls1 sick. but for MUCH less you can do the same with an old one....
his question was not a totally dumb one , but if he wants a street demon he should keep the ls1... if it is going to be a trailer queen drag only ... i would swap it for a ram jet 502 and build THAT up
Old 01-06-2004, 04:00 AM
TECH Resident

oh Boy not another one. Like I have said before, give me a pricelist and lets see how the weight and all other aspects about the car and engine stack-up to each other. Why not read his orginal quote about a using a STANDARD 350 (stock has not been mentioned be me) and tell me your version of a STANDARD 350. If you are like most people you believe a 350 is 350 cu in. and comes with an iron block, iron heads and has a carb then how is that not comparable to a stock 350. When you say destroy his Ls1 what exactly do you mean? Do you mean a shitty idle from a radical cam that causes the car to stall at stop lights? Are you referring to the SS's new found pork and destroying it on the scales? Are you referring to the louder chatter of a non-roller valve train? Are you saying his new engine would destroy the LS1 in the MPG category? If horse power is the only thing that a STANDARD 350 will deliver then I imagine you have a narrow perspective when it comes to shopping for engines.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:42 AM
11 Second Club

sigh ... it is clear to me you are brainwashed on the ls1...
no dought,stock for STOCK the ls1 is the very best prodution motor gm has EVER put out... however if you have disalusioned yourself into believeing it cant be beat your are DEAD wronge. (last time i checked there are NO top fuel ls1's)
the fastest cars in the world run iron blocks.
the 350 you described is a STOCK one....
what you cant put a roller cam in a stander 350?
like i said... read my post again if he wants a STREET car, the ls1 is the best choice for reliable power that gets better then average mpg.
if he wants a STRIP car it is not.
stroking a standered 350 is a very cheap way to make BIG hp. stroking a ls1 means$$$
those of us looking to finish first at the track are not concerned with idle at a stop light because the only light the car will see is on the tree...
it only has to go 1/4 mile so the mpg dont matter either.
if i was building it on a 3000 budget it would have a solid roller cam and i would LOVE the clatter it makes...
i bought a muscle car because i want to go fast.
if i wanted a nice quiet ride i would have bought a lexus.
by destroying the ls1 i mean finishing first in the 1/4 funny how you missed that.

the ls1 is a great motor it is light weight.flows like nothing else and makes great power.
but not the MOST power.

if i am shopping for motors to go fast at the track your dam right i am looking for the most hp period.
if i am shopping for a street car i would end up with ,what i ended up with.(see pic in sig)
i do infact have plans for a trailer queen. my plans include me running 7's... they do not include a ls1(cause i have never seen a 7 sec ls1)
Old 01-06-2004, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you for making my point with out me ever typing anything. You said something about top fuel, well holy **** if this person was building a top fuel car and is on ls1tech.com asking for advice we should all feel very proud. However I doubt he is since he is on a budget. Why not give me what I asked for in my post, I asked for a price list of all your what if scenarios. Do you really think this person is looking for an all out drag car while still on a budget? Since where have I EVER stated that the fastest cars are LS1's? Just give me your definition of a STANDARD 350 and this argument will be down with.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:24 AM
11 Second Club

you dont read so good do you?
i said IF he wants a STREET car then the LS1 is the motor to have! how many times i have to say that?
IF he wants a all out DRAG car then it is not...
you want a price list do a search on google.i dont have time to do your homework for you... i have built 10 or so standered 350's all of which were built on budget all or which put down great power .(how many have you built?)
oh yeh i know ALOT of ppl who build all out drag cars on a budget. if you do not then you do not spend enough time at the track.
but hey... this arguement IS done as far as i am concerned.
good luck with your 12 second car.
i will see you at the finish line (when you finally get there)
have a nice day
Old 01-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

STANDARD STANDARD STANDARD

No, I don't know WTF a STANDARD 350 is because you just made that term up. If it started as a 350 block from the factory I guess I woulld call it standard regardless of internals.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

you guys are arguing over a topic.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,159 Likes on 753 Posts

It's been asked and answered, but to the guy who came over from the dark side...

LS1 cars stock can hit 300rwhp. You could do heads, cam, headers, air box, lid, filter, tuning, ported oem throttle body, ported oem oil pump, underdrive crank pulley and thru cats you could hit an easy 390-400rwhp.

Surf the manual transmission forum to research the sticky clutch issue.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
you guys are arguing over a topic.

agreed ... hey man good luck with your new ride... congrats on coming to the dark side... m6 ls1's are alot of fun!!!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:59 PM

anybody know if about the header situation of the setup this guy is talking about with putting a 350 in a f body

Quick Reply: Older 350 Engine Swap