Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Dowel/Timing Set Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010 | 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Default Camshaft Dowel/Timing Set Question

So I have a slighty interesting problem I was hoping someone might be able to help me with. I bought an LS6 to drop in my car since my old motor bit it (cam-only ms3). I was swapping stuff over from the old engine to the new engine (oil pan, etc) and pulled the front cover off to check everything over on the LS6. Well, it turns out that the timing chain was LOOSE, nowhere near as tight as the LS2 timing set I had on my other engine. "Ok, no big deal, I'll just swap timing sets..." Half way through swapping the LS2 timing set to the LS6, god decides to reach down and slap my stupid *** across the face with a confusing little problem (things were going just a little too smoothly I guess) Anyway, the LS6 cam has a tiny little dowel pin sticking out, which is complimented by a tiny little cam dowel hole on the LS6 timing gear. The LS2 cam gear dowel hole is literally twice as large, like hotdog down a hallway big compared to the LS6 cam's dowel. I stuck it on there and it looked like a hooker after tax return season. Anyway, my MS3 has a round 'thing' pressed onto the cam dowel to make it bigger (I guess it's the equivalent of extenze for cam dowels). So basically my question is... what the ****?

Cliffs: LS6 cam dowel/cam gear dowel hole = small
LS2 cam dowel/cam gear dowel hole = biiig(er)

LS6 cam + LS2 timing set = FFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm assuming I need to get the 'ring' thing that is around the dowel on my MS3 cam onto my LS6 cam to make this work, but I have no ******* clue how to go about doing that. Or I suppose I could just buy an LS6 timing set. I asked the guy at Advance if they sold them and he looked at me like he just crapped himself and popped a blood vessel in his brain at the same time and said "Naw" so I guess that's a no-go. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2010 | 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

If its a aftermarket timing gear , some has inserts that will offset timing degrees for degree wheels setups

Quick Reply: Camshaft Dowel/Timing Set Question