Sponsored by:

Need help bad, guys...misfires, surging, lean

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help bad, guys...misfires, surging, lean

Some of you may have seen my thread in the forced induction section (https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...r-install.html), but I wanted to post over here since I've ruled out the possibility of any part of the Procharger setup being the culprit for my issues (I disconnected all the piping connecting the Procharger intercoolers to the plenum just in front of the MAF, thereby taking the system out of the equation).

Here's the status in a nutshell. Parked the car last winter, running like a top. Installed a twin intercooled Procharger setup, along with a Warlboro 255, hotwire kit, Siemens Deka 60lb injectors, catch can, and NGK TR6s gapped at .030. I also removed the AIR system. Those are the only mods that are different than the setup I parked last fall. I also installed a boost gauge, electric fuel pressure gauge, and an AEM UEGO wideband, but I don't think they have any bearing on the issues. Otherwise stock internal LS1 with 80,000 miles.

I sent my PCM to Frost to get a base tune for the 60lb injectors as well as to have the rear O2s tuned out, !AIR, gear calibration, etc. Got the PCM back, and Steve told me I was safe to drive the car and make 2-4psi, but not to go wide open throttle. No problem.

The issues from that point until now are the same...it idles OK at 900rpm cold and then settles in to 800 at operating temp, but its lean...like 15.5 on the gauge. If I give it any throttle at all, it stumbles, picks up and struggles to find a part throttle position...surging badly. If I try to hold it at 1500rpm, it might stay there for a few seconds, but then it will swing down 200-300 rpms and then surge back up. During the hesitation, the wideband goes WAY lean...like, off the scale lean. It comes back around after a few seconds, but its still only in the 15ish range...still lean. Fuel pressure shows 62psi on the gauge. I initially threw a p0300 code, but have not tripped the light since. A friend of mine did some logging on HPT which indicates the misfires are still there, though.

I emailed Steve (who's been really helpful, BTW) and his first thoughts were vacuum leak. I have checked every hose, joint, seam and connection around the manifold with no luck. I plugged every port on the PCV system to eliminate my new catch can setup, and no luck there. Double checked my connections at the brake booster where I teed in for the boost gauge/bypass valve...no dice. I even pulled the manifold to check the MAP sensor and vacuum lines in the back, and also inspected for cracks...no luck there either. Pulled the injectors, examined them, and reseated them in the intake...nothing there either. Checked the vacuum reading, and at operating temp I'm pulling 20in at idle, and it's a steady reading...very solid, and not bouncy or erratic at all. Either way, according to Steve (who I sent the datalog to), the PCM is making major adjustments for too much air at idle. That could be due to a vacuum leak, or due to the misfires passing uncombusted air through the system. Or maybe something else? Not sure there...Anyways, I've gone through an entire can of carb cleaner in my engine bay, and have found nothing to indicate a vacuum leak.

I have changed plugs, changed wires, changed O2 sensors (new), all with no luck. I have cleaned the MAF, tried a different MAF, checked the IAC (functioning properly), TPS, and even swapped the stock throttle body back on...no change. If I unplug the connections on both O2s, the idle mixture richens up to 12.6, but the car still bucks and surges, especially under load.

I am at my wits end here guys. I have no idea what else to look at. Steve has looked at my tune four times, and can't find a problem that would cause these symptoms. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Anybody? Sorry for the novel...
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it showing any codes?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

No but it is definitely still misfiring.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

whats your fuel pressure at?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

62 on the gauge. Holding steady under idle and part throttle.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

wow. I dont know dude. thats a tough one to try and figure out on the internet. it does kinda seem like a vacum leak though.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:03 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I know. I've been over this motor looking for a vacuum leak so many times I lost count.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

good luck
Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

A vacuum leak is the one thing that really pops into my head. Go over the routing of your catch can again.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:10 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
A vacuum leak is the one thing that really pops into my head. Go over the routing of your catch can again.
I have pulled all the PCV/catch can hoses off and capped every port on the TB, manifolod, and valve covers...same symptoms. Pulled the intake manifold, inspected for cracks, and RTV'd the map sensor in place...same symptoms.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you ever find out what the problem was? Im starting to have the same issues.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:28 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

It was the injectors. I don't know if I got a bad set or if my setup at the time just didn't like the 60lb Siemens, but I swapped to Bosch SVO 42lb injectors and got it straightened out.

Good luck.