Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine/trans removal questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine/trans removal questions....

What is the easiest way to pull the motor and trans out of a 2000 Z28, while removing the least possible number of accessories and other stuff off of the motor? Any pics, tips, etc?

Moderators- I didn't know where this went, move it if you need to.....

Thanks, Shawn
Old 01-05-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

anyone?
Old 01-05-2004, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Shawn.... I came out the top on mine. I know alot of guys drop it, but out the top was no big deal. Pull the hood, and be sure to keep the hook as close as possible to the valley cover. Motor needs to clear the mounts and if the hook is high the arm hits the cowl. Once you clear the mounts, in comes right outa the can

I pulled w/out the heads, but they were already off when I realized the block had to go. Prolly wanna pull the usual stuff for clearence/headache intervention. Hood, radiator, intake, A/C, alternator, PS pump.....

Not that difficult....just alot of wrenchin'. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2004, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

I recently pulled mine out the bottom. Http://j.cz28.com/motorout.htm Used a cherry picker to lift the body. Some find it easier out the top, though. Next time I will do it out the bottom again. I have pulled LT1's out the top before, and this was easier. However, I have not installed it from the bottom.....yet

Good luck to ya.
'J
Old 01-07-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Here is from an old post. Brains actually posted this in that thread

1. Remove fans, radiator, water pump
2. Unbolt power steering pump, alternator w/ bracket, a/c compressor, and lay to the side.
3. Remove fuel rails and intake manifold.
4. Unhook all the remaining harness connections from the motor and push it out of the way (oil level sensor, crank position sensor, cam position, oil pressure, water temp, knock sensor harness, ignition coils)
5. Disconnect the ground leads on the back of the driver's side head, and the driver's side of the block.
6. Disconnect the exhaust from the headers/manifolds.
7. Drop the starter (disconnect the battery first).
8. Connect a chain TIGHT across the top of the motor, from the back of one head to the front of the other. Lift the motor enough to remove stress from the motor mounts.
9. Unbolt the motor mounts (single long bolt through the center of each).
10. Lift the motor off the frame stands, move it forward, lift, move, lift move, working your way up and out. Having the crank pulley here gives you plenty of room, but you CAN sneak it out with the pulley still attached.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

i pulled mine out top
if I could do it again, I'de probably drop the subframe
its a complete pain in the *** from top, with all the accesories and wires and all that useless **** in the way
Old 01-07-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I pulled my engine and tranny from the top. Car was in the air maybe a foot and hood was still on. Took about 4.5 hours in my parents garage with airtools. Just have to crawl under and lift up on the back of the tranny its easy.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:19 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
What is the easiest way to pull the motor and trans out of a 2000 Z28, while removing the least possible number of accessories and other stuff off of the motor? Any pics, tips, etc?

Moderators- I didn't know where this went, move it if you need to.....

Thanks, Shawn
I moved your post from the Drag racing section to the External Engine but I see you have some respones here. Cool!

Coach
Old 01-07-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

good to know so many people have come out the top.......
Old 01-07-2004, 04:07 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It can come out from the top, but you will be removing quite a bit of stuff to get it out clean and not murder your cowl.....

I pulled mine from the top, and installed the new one from the top. If I could do it over again, I would have backed the car up on driveup ramps, and jacked the front high enough to drop the cradle. Then used a pallet jack to move the cradle out from under the car. Doing this you can drop the Engine/tranny @ once, and have everything on the ground within an hour.

Josh
Old 01-07-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

What is involved from removing it from the bottom, what has to be removed?

Shawn
Old 01-07-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled the radiator and fans, intake coils, accesories, and unplugged all the wiring. Unbolt the shock tower bolts on the top. We dropped the whole assembly out the bottom. Unbolt the tranny cross member, and then there are six bolts that connect the k member to the frame. We use two jacks on either side of the k-member then another jack to jack the front end about three feet up. Then the whole assembly can be rolled out to the side.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by strokedls1
I pulled the radiator and fans, intake coils, accesories, and unplugged all the wiring. Unbolt the shock tower bolts on the top. We dropped the whole assembly out the bottom. Unbolt the tranny cross member, and then there are six bolts that connect the k member to the frame. We use two jacks on either side of the k-member then another jack to jack the front end about three feet up. Then the whole assembly can be rolled out to the side.
Absolutely!!! This is the way I did my WS6, but my buddy had a lift which allowed the easier method of moving a lever and carefully watching the front brake lines feed through. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes for the two of us to do it and we had no prior experience.

Todd
Old 01-07-2004, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
What is involved from removing it from the bottom, what has to be removed?

Shawn
I left the radiator in place, as well as all accessories. I removed the y-pipe, and driveshaft. I disconnected the harness from all points on car (flopped it over the motor), disconnected the front brake lines, tranny lines (a4), and coolant lines (after draining), disconnected the fuel lines, and unbloted the tranny crossmember, k-member, and shock towers.
-also disconnected sway bar from frame-

Hope this helps,
J
Old 01-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
i pulled mine out top
if I could do it again, I'de probably drop the subframe
its a complete pain in the *** from top, with all the accesories and wires and all that useless **** in the way
ARRGHH, that picture is just too painful to look at LOL,
could you please change that!

Keep up the good info in your posts --- Where the hell did you get that picture ???
Old 01-08-2004, 12:13 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Most definitely take it out from the bottom. I have had my motor out over 10 times and this is the definitely the way to go. I have also pulled a friend's motor from the top and it is way more work.

Here are some pics from awhile back:

http://members.***.net/kcr19/readyforinstall.jpg
http://members.***.net/kcr19/harness.jpg
Old 01-08-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jason99T/A
Most definitely take it out from the bottom. I have had my motor out over 10 times and this is the definitely the way to go. I have also pulled a friend's motor from the top and it is way more work.

Here are some pics from awhile back:

http://members.***.net/kcr19/readyforinstall.jpg
http://members.***.net/kcr19/harness.jpg
Can it be done without a lift? Can an engine hoist lift the car high enough to get the motor/trans/k member out from under the car?
Old 01-08-2004, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have done it both ways and from the bottom is easier if you have a lift. when doing it at home, i pulled mine though the top. it only took 4hrs with air and when it was out it was already stripped to the long block. when you take them out the bottom, once you drop the crattle, you still have to remove all accessorys and remove the motor from it. i fould that this takes about the same time as removeing all accessorys from in the car. although it is alot harder to remove them while it is still in the car. i would say it is up to you. do what is easyier for you.

Quick Reply: Engine/trans removal questions....