Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharging My T/A

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Supercharging My T/A

I'm looking into what it will take to change my setup to utilize a supercharger. I'm not sure which brand/type yet. What I am curious about is the changes I will need to make to handle 5 psi and 9psi.

I am running a 63k stock bottom end with p&p 62 cc 243 heads, a TR-224-112 and tune with EFI Live. I know it will require a cam change but what about my compression? Will I need to swap heads?

The rest of my mods are listed in my sig.

I can sell my heads, cam and N2O setup to fund some of it.

Any suggestions would be great.

I run at 5100' elevation.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at EPP's website.....
Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What does your fuel system consist of ? Are you definitely going supercharger VS turbo... that will play in to your cam choice.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by conan
What does your fuel system consist of ? Are you definitely going supercharger VS turbo... that will play in to your cam choice.
Right now I am running a stock pump but I have a new Racetronix in a complete bucket/sender I can drop in. I am using FIC 33 lb injectors.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your injectors will have to be changed, 42's minimum, 60's if you plan on upping the boost in the future (and you will) The racetronix single pump should be fine to handle your goals (for now) I would swap your heads for some 317's and throw in a good dual spring and hardware. Arp head studs with GM MLS gaskets. Cam choice, pick something in the 115-117 lsa range, with more exhaust lift and duration than intake side. If changing the heads isn't a option I would still change the gaskets and stud them. You can also run meth if you need to help the compression.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Your injectors will have to be changed, 42's minimum, 60's if you plan on upping the boost in the future (and you will) The racetronix single pump should be fine to handle your goals (for now) I would swap your heads for some 317's and throw in a good dual spring and hardware. Arp head studs with GM MLS gaskets. Cam choice, pick something in the 115-117 lsa range, with more exhaust lift and duration than intake side. If changing the heads isn't a option I would still change the gaskets and stud them. You can also run meth if you need to help the compression.

Thank you. If I am not able to change heads right away, should I be ok at 5# of boost with new gaskets and studs? With 317's, I am guessing leaving them unported but with good springs and hardware would work for 9#? I was also looking at adding a Walbro inline pump. Good idea or no?
I am guessing I will need to pin my SLP U/D pulley.

Thanks again
Old 04-13-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tatasta
Thank you. If I am not able to change heads right away, should I be ok at 5# of boost with new gaskets and studs? With 317's, I am guessing leaving them unported but with good springs and hardware would work for 9#? I was also looking at adding a Walbro inline pump. Good idea or no?
I am guessing I will need to pin my SLP U/D pulley.

Thanks again
What blower are you going with procharger or vortec ? I would not put a inline pump on, the racetronix and hot wire kit will meet your goals. When its time for more fuel just do a twin in tank set up. You don't "need" the 317 heads even at 9#'s it will just help lower compression to fight detonation. Studs and new gaskets are a must in my book.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

What blower are you going with procharger or vortec ? I would not put a inline pump on, the racetronix and hot wire kit will meet your goals. When its time for more fuel just do a twin in tank set up. You don't "need" the 317 heads even at 9#'s it will just help lower compression to fight detonation. Studs and new gaskets are a must in my book.
I am looking at Vortech at this point. How about crank pinning? I have heard that pulley slippage is an issue with our engines and superchargers.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

If you are doing a Racetronix A1000 and 60lbs injectors do an e85 conversion and run as much boost as you want with no worries if e85 is available where you are at. Its the best mod you'll do for FI.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tatasta
I am looking at Vortech at this point. How about crank pinning? I have heard that pulley slippage is an issue with our engines and superchargers.
Thanks
I have my crank pined. I use the ATI super daper crank pully. I don't know any thing about the vortec unit but if you have the option to go to a 8 rib blower belt (vs a 6 rib) do when you buy the kit.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pin the crank for sure. And come on over to the Forced Induction section...