Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's going on with the intake in that second picture? The plenum is all curvy in the front and there's just an open section in the back. Is this some kind of variable length runner setup or what?
Old 01-06-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
PSJ - I think you mean Displacement-On-Demand.

Power on demand = right foot to the floor.

The DOD system does not utilize this set-up. This is the 3 valve head prototype that GM is kicking around. The DOD system uses some internal to the block set up to shut down one bank of cylinders. The PCM does the rest, at least from what is in some of the SAE papers so far.

Todd
Old 01-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

There are pictures of the LS2 over on the corvette forum. Look in the c6 section and the post made by speedstyleandsound. It has pictures of the ls2 on an engine stand.

Edit: here is the link http://www.toddlamb.com/s3web/index.htm
Old 01-07-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slyws6
man that rocker geometry is way f*ked up! Doesn't look very reliable, I dunno just don't like the looks of it. I thought the whole point of having more valves was because you had an overhead cam and that it was feasbile and wouldn't have to make some funny setup like this.

-Sly
The SEA paper says that 3 valve head is good to 8000rpm. I'd say once this head comes out, after it's used in the upcoming C6 ZO6, it's going to be the way to go for huge power
Old 01-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by myss2638
There are pictures of the LS2 over on the corvette forum. Look in the c6 section and the post made by speedstyleandsound. It has pictures of the ls2 on an engine stand.

Edit: here is the link http://www.toddlamb.com/s3web/index.htm
That's definitely different than what I posted. Those heads look very similar to our heads, but the position of the spark plug seems a little different, and it almost looks as if the exhaust ports are elliptical or something?
Old 01-07-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should help a lot with breathing though....2 intakes, and the exhaust valve position rotated to be right across from them. Reminds me of, dare i say it, a hemi.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grimes
Reminds me of, dare i say it, a hemi.
Dare I say better than the new Hemi since it has 2 intake valves? When that head hits the truck segment for GM, Dodge and Ford are both going to be in trouble. Dodge has the big displacement Hemi, but it's only a 16v OHC engine. Ford has the upcoming 300hp 3V 4.6 or 5.4 but those engines don't have the displacement like the Dodge and GM. GM will have the best of both since they will have the 6.0L and the 3V head. Heck that head on a 4.8L would probably make 300hp+.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would have to Say that's the New 3V Mustang Motor that's going in the 2005 Gt's.. Still only rated at 300hp, I maybe Wrong though =(..... Slow lmao

Steve-0
Old 01-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Launching!

Let me touch on a few things mentioned here:

XLR8NSS you called it. Those are the same pics I posted back on 12-16-03. They're not mine, just the same source.

As far as the SAE article on it, they were going on the info they had at the time for a potential use of these heads. To wit;
"The Corvette engine will rev to 7000 rpm with a 30% margin of safety. It can go to 8000 rpm safely" he added.

Well, as we all now know, this did not prove to be the Corvette motor. It was a design exercise. It does, however look like it is going to make it as the truck motor, as XLR8NSS also mentioned. And I’m sorry, though I am not an engineer, I do understand that one does NOT get to introduce additional angles, friction points, and weight to the pathway a given power flow is being transmitted through and obtain a higher efficiency. This would be analogous to designing a drivetrain with additional angles in the construct, and lowering the parasitic loss.

Just one mans view.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scott Turvey
Well, as we all now know, this did not prove to be the Corvette motor. It was a design exercise. It does, however look like it is going to make it as the truck motor, as XLR8NSS also mentioned.
The 3 valve head didn't make it into the base Corvette engine, but most people on the Corvetteforum believe it will make it into the engine for the upcoming C6 ZO6. With the statement that the C6 ZO6 will make 500hp, I don't see how it could possibly do it with a 6.2-6.3L and a more aggressive setup than the LS2 and make 100 emissions legal hp more. I'm sure we'll see soon enough where it will be put to good use
Old 01-08-2004, 02:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Those are some pretty rocking exhaust manifolds, damn, if only we had those stock.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
The 3 valve head didn't make it into the base Corvette engine, but most people on the Corvetteforum believe it will make it into the engine for the upcoming C6 ZO6. With the statement that the C6 ZO6 will make 500hp, I don't see how it could possibly do it with a 6.2-6.3L and a more aggressive setup than the LS2 and make 100 emissions legal hp more. I'm sure we'll see soon enough where it will be put to good use
I think the LS2 should be easily capable of it. We have found it remarkably straightforward to rebuild a current (2002-03) base C5 motor and produce 450+ HP while still maintaining California-emissions compliance. We're talking a basic H&C package, some attention to detail and a couple of PCM pokes. I suppose 500 emissions-legal HP out of similar setup would be possible, although we honestly haven't the time right now to play around with it. At that level and up, customers haven't displayed a whit of interest as to the emissions question as far as we've seen, so we haven't screwed around with it.

These motors have so much more in them it's crazy. I think until more of the improved basic building blocks, like the AFR heads, start appearing out there are going to continue to be issues, but this dog still has a ways to run.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doing an aftermarket H/C package is a little different than having a car that can pass noise regulations, emissions, and be reliable for warranty reasons. Even if you take the ratio of hp the LS6 made for 5.7L and multiply it by the new 6.2-6.3L you only come up with 447.6bhp. I'm sure the new intake and exhaust improvements will bump that up a few more percent but I doubt it will be the full 50+hp needed. I also doubt with the introduction of the all new LS2 and LS7 GM would totally max them out their first go around. Just like they kept upping the hp both the LS1 and LS6 over the past few years. 500hp out of a slightly larger LS2 with non-ported LS6 similar heads isn't going to happen while being emissions legal and drivable like GM would want.