Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Issues on newish engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Issues on newish engine

I just had a new long block put into my 2000 camaro, for whatever reason the first mechanic did not install the barbell restrictor so when we fired up the engine for the first time there was zero oil pressure, we have now got that issue fixed and a new oil pump installed to be extra sure but now the new mechanic is telling me that there is no oil flowing to the top of the engine yet there is oil pressure showing on the gauge. Now he wants to pull the top end apart to look for clogs or perhaps the wrong head gaskets are installed, but I am not sure about that since I purchased a used long block that came out of a car with less than 30K miles and the engine was running fine when it was pulled and the heads were not removed or touched during the install into my car. Is it possible the mechanic is full of it or can it be clogged up, and if it is clogged are there any fixes out there that will cost less than pulling the top end apart, I have been told that you can run tranny fluid in the engine for 15min or so and that could clean it out. Short of sticking a rag into the oil fill tube is there any way for me to verify that there is no oil running to the top.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 01:50 AM

also I was thinking that if there was indeed a clog in the passages that was preventing the oil getting to the top of the engine it would seem that the pressure would increase to a much higher level when idling. Any truth to that or am I looking at the problem wrong?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder why that plug was pulled in the first place if it was a running long block...Something is kinda fishy to me.....
Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I wonder why that plug was pulled in the first place if it was a running long block...Something is kinda fishy to me.....
Agreed. If it was running & a complete long block he should have never touched the barbell. Sounds like he was setting himself up for some extra work on your car later.

Thats the biggest reason my car will never go to a local shop.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM

it is a long story with that but the work being done now is with a new mechanic, the original guy basically took my money and just dropped in the long block into my car and then did nothing else, I finally had to pull the car out of there and give it to this new guy to pretty much do all the work. But now he is telling me this crap and it just does not seem right that these new issues could be coming up on an engine that was running fine and now the oil passages are clogged??