Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams rocker arm trunion upgrade!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010 | 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearcatt
This is a fairly new product from Comp. I think it's just a lack of understanding or perhaps ignorance on thier part.
This isn't a new product at all..... it's been in use for many years. It has just now been realsed as a DIY kit. Many people have been running these bearings in their rockers for years and didn't know it.

I assure you.... Comp does their homework.
Old 04-21-2010 | 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys,

I didn't mean to stir up controversy. There are many a LSX powered car with these trunion upgrades that work just fine.

Even the most expensive exotic parts can fail, it's just the nature of the beast. No part is absolutely perfect.

I say let Brian hook you up and be happy. Perhaps he can work a package out with you where you send them in and he presses them in for you.

cough cough. LOL

Old 04-21-2010 | 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian@SpectacleSolutions
This isn't a new product at all..... it's been in use for many years. It has just now been realsed as a DIY kit. Many people have been running these bearings in their rockers for years and didn't know it.

I assure you.... Comp does their homework.
Yes I know they've been around for a long time.

And I know the DIY concept is new.

Harland Sharp just recently started offering a DIY kit too.

Yes Comp is a good company but thier description on these trunions is a little mirky.

Old 04-21-2010 | 12:19 AM

No... it's cool. Information is what we are all here for. I would rather keep it on track though. lol
Old 04-21-2010 | 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Good discussion guys, much appreciated. This has helped clarify a few questions I had.
Old 04-21-2010 | 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes keeping the information accurate is a good thing.

There are plenty of guys running the stock rockers and upgraded trunions with very little problems and they have a lot more horsepower and RPM than
I do.

Old 04-21-2010 | 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

One more important issue I wanted to ask about...

Since shorter bolts are needed when this upgrade is done, does that mean the rocker sits lower on the pedestal than before? If this were the case, wouldn't the wipe pattern on the valve stem be affected?
Old 04-21-2010 | 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by squirts11
Good discussion guys, much appreciated. This has helped clarify a few questions I had.

squirts11,

I think you will be happy with the upgrade. It's a great bang for the buck.

Perhaps Brian@SpectacleSolutions can hook you up when the time comes.

Old 04-21-2010 | 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I'm fairly new to LS engines.... I own a couple, but both one is in the build stage, and the other is just for parts and mock up purposes.
At what point is it a good idea to upgrade the stock rockers?? Is this a failure that is fairly common on all LS motors or just ones that have alot of valvespring pressure and high lift??
I know a guy who has 463,000 miles on his 5.3L in his work truck....he has only changed oil, plugs, one coil, rebuilt tranny, and replaced fuel pump (once). I realize this is exceptional for any non-diesel engine, but it's one of the reasons I started considering an LS. Are his rocker arms likely to send needle bearings through his oil pump at any time now? I'd think if they are a problem, that his would have to be completely worn out.
Old 04-21-2010 | 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since shorter bolts are needed when this upgrade is done, does that mean the rocker sits lower on the pedestal than before? If this were the case, wouldn't the wipe pattern on the valve stem be affected?

They should just be a bolt on. They should fit the same as far as I know.

I can't tell you about the Comp upgrade because mine didn't come with bolts but the Harland uses a shorter allen head bolt with the threads in a different position.

Last edited by bearcatt; 04-21-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2010 | 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Okay, I'm fairly new to LS engines.... I own a couple, but both one is in the build stage, and the other is just for parts and mock up purposes.
At what point is it a good idea to upgrade the stock rockers?? Is this a failure that is fairly common on all LS motors or just ones that have alot of valvespring pressure and high lift??
I know a guy who has 463,000 miles on his 5.3L in his work truck....he has only changed oil, plugs, one coil, rebuilt tranny, and replaced fuel pump (once). I realize this is exceptional for any non-diesel engine, but it's one of the reasons I started considering an LS. Are his rocker arms likely to send needle bearings through his oil pump at any time now? I'd think if they are a problem, that his would have to be completely worn out.

The LS series motors are a great simple reliable engine.

Your mileage may vary, some folks get lucky and get a lot of miles out of thier LS motors without any problems.

With a high mileage motor anything is possible I suppose.

Old 04-21-2010 | 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Needles and rollers are the same thing when speaking about needle or roller bearings...

The other bearing is referred to as a "raced" bearing...

A raced bearing can have either needles/rollers or *****.
Old 04-21-2010 | 07:24 AM
12 Second Club

You cant really change the wipe pattern on our engines, unless you goto an adustable valvetrain. I see people talk about changing pushrod length to change wipe pattern, but that only works on adjustable valve train.

Since our rocker arms are non ajustable, the valve tip never changes, and the trunion is always bolted to the same place and doesnt move. That means the pushrod seat has to alway be in the same place also. So pushrod length changes shouldnt affect wipe pattern, only change lifter plunger depth.
Old 06-02-2010 | 11:27 AM
8 Second Club

I installed these last night in a set and the install is pretty straight forward. Only thing I noticed is that the trunion does not move to freely once installed-some were harder to move around than others. Is this normal and will they "free" up over time or with a few heat cycles?
Old 06-02-2010 | 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

That might be because the bearings are tighter against the trunions on some more so than others.

Old 05-18-2011 | 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02*C5
While needle bearings and roller bearings are similar the needle bearing is open on one or two sides and only held by a cage where a roller bearing is held by a middle cage and an inner and outer casing. while needle bearings are just that they look like needles. Roller bearings can be made out of ball, needle, or any type of bearing as long as it is encased thus "rolling" on the casing.

Roller bearing

Needle Bearing

Hence as you can see the is greater ability to loose a needle bearing than there ever be of loosing a bearing out of a roller bearing. Also you can see the where the rocker is making contact directly with the bearing itself in the needle bearing where the rocker on the roller bearing is actually moving on the casing itself. Therefore failure being less likely with a roller bearing than with a needle bearing set up.
haha photobucket image hosting FAIL
Old 05-18-2011 | 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
Way to bump a dead thread.

Well as long as we're here, I also purchased and installed these COMP rocker arm bearings. I used a small drill press with the drill bit removed to install my bearings. Simple. Let's just hope they last. A couple of them have a slight notchy feel when spinning them.
Old 05-26-2011 | 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Nice to know
Old 05-27-2011 | 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eb02z06
I installed these last night in a set and the install is pretty straight forward. Only thing I noticed is that the trunion does not move to freely once installed-some were harder to move around than others. Is this normal and will they "free" up over time or with a few heat cycles?
Thats prob not a good thing seeing that the stock rockers move around freely without any bind and these things are meant to move up and down 24/7 in a running engine. Other threads have stated that even after running their stiff upgraded rockers, they didnt free up at all. Some think this bind was due to being pressed in incorrectly or possible being installed with too much pressure. Maybe Brian can post back in here on a way to keep them moving freely while and after installing the new upgraded bearings as its a straight forward install but still many are having this problem. If they can be installed without the issue then there has to be something that others are doing wrong because its not the case with everyone.

ps- those teeth are a dentist's goldmine right there! haha
Old 06-16-2011 | 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
Roller bearing

Needle Bearing

Hahaha WTF !!! That looks like dracula !

Quick Reply: Comp Cams rocker arm trunion upgrade!!!