Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what happened to the LS1 I bought - #7 piston busted

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by demonpixel
I was told that it's because of the intake manifold design. #7 is the last to get air, the air is denser, and this creates a lean condition. Increase the heat a little, or clog your #7 injector a little, and your #7 piston goes at the ringland.
maybe if the tune is incorrect.
ive built psi ls motors even with c5 intake manifolds and have never had a ring land come apart on me to date in any ls motor. spun bearings.once
maybe some people just have bad luck
Old 05-11-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe, but this happens waaaay too much on these motors.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:44 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by NemeSS
maybe if the tune is incorrect.
ive built psi ls motors even with c5 intake manifolds and have never had a ring land come apart on me to date in any ls motor. spun bearings.once
maybe some people just have bad luck
By "psi ls motors", do you mean super/turbocharged engines? In that case, I don't think you would see this very often since the intent is to create manifold pressure, which would seem to be more likely to equalize pressure in the plenum better. On NA and nitrous engines, where I think this is most common, I would expect that you would get a ramming effect in the back of the manifold creating a denser air charge (re: leaner) for that #7 runner.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
By "psi ls motors", do you mean super/turbocharged engines? In that case, I don't think you would see this very often since the intent is to create manifold pressure, which would seem to be more likely to equalize pressure in the plenum better. On NA and nitrous engines, where I think this is most common, I would expect that you would get a ramming effect in the back of the manifold creating a denser air charge (re: leaner) for that #7 runner.
yes, used the sealed ls1 c5 intake few times. and even the fbod intakes with a brass plug in the egr bore.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:01 PM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

So what's the update? Did this guy ever compensate you for any of it?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back from the dead....... My #7 looked EXACTLY like the OP pic!!! SAME spot EVERYTHING!!! IDENTICAL spot!!! I only have phone pics so I will take some with the camera later and post up. Car threw no codes and ran fine but it may not have run long since this happened...

I just wanna know so the new 403 going in doesn't suffer the same fate...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

back from the dead again.. my # 7 cracked piston looked the same.. on motor too h/c setup. PTV was good and all... valve hit the piston and plug tip was bent!

sucks cheap fix is still $ and u leave with same hp.. so I went the long route... expensive fix but u leave with a **** load of power! hahaha
6 bolt head 427 in the works for me. now if that breaks ill jump a cliff..
Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
The chances of a big chunk of metal finding its' way out of the cylinder through the exhaust valve without doing further damage along the way are VERY slim. Conversely, who would put a motor together with a piston that looks like that? Time to call Perry Mason on this one.
my guess is the seller took the heads off to inspect then removed the chunk and buttoned it back up put it up for sale!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:21 AM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

Since Zig (demonpixel) is on vacation, I'll go ahead and post an update for him.

The old block was indeed cracked so it was junk. We found a new LS6 block, rebuilt it with a Wiseco/Lunati spec piston, and just before he went left on vacation, he heard it his old 'Bird fire up for the first time in months. Pardon the mess. The next step is to clean it all up and get rid of the rat's nest. BTW, that's EFI on there...

Old 12-02-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You say that's EFI. Is that the Professional Products self tuning EFI? If so, how good does it work?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
You say that's EFI. Is that the Professional Products self tuning EFI? If so, how good does it work?
I'm pretty sure it's the BOSS EFI system. On the LS1, it's basically only been fired up and driven into the garage, so I can't really say for sure how well it works yet, but it worked very well when he had it on the old Pontiac 400 that was in there.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the old Formula!

Ya, it sucks when this happens. My H/C car had a similar failure at 38kmi. It knocked/clacked quite noticeably afterward (I doubt the OPs motor ran quietly with that broken ring land). Upon disassembly, there was little evident damage, only a slightly bent spark plug ground electrode, some light colored speckling on the combustion chamber, and a piece missing off the #7 ring land.

I thought maybe the broken piece was fired cleanly out the exhaust port, but once I got the oil pan off and removed the steel baffle, I found a good amount of finely ground aluminum.

I have no idea why it failed. The car was tuned by someone that knows their stuff. I may have gotten some bad gas or had weak fuel pressure.

A million dollars later, I have a nice stroker in it now, and I'll be looking for low tens come Springtime
Old 12-02-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

shev...**** happens mine was tuned by Carmen from vette doctors. stock piston ringlands can take so much...well not much. Especially if your hard on the car and enjoy it.

well onto bigger and better things.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We documented a zz4. Same crap and found ring gaps too tight

Quick Reply: what happened to the LS1 I bought - #7 piston busted