Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for your advice on what to do next: spun rod bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for your advice on what to do next: spun rod bearing

A few weeks ago I was cruising along then suddenly a loud noise that actually sounded like a shredded belt flapping. I shut the car off immediately and just finally pulled the engine apart. It has one BADLY spun rod bearing and the rest looked pretty worn. Haven't finished pulling the crank yet but it spins perfectly smooth so at this point I dont think it spun a main bearing. I don't have a lot of money to throw at it so I'd like to try and keep a budget of around $1000.

A few pics of the damage:
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...4-29205718.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...4-29205750.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...4-29205904.jpg
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...4-29205609.jpg

I don't have my calipers at home so I can't be sure how much crank material has been removed but by my guess id say .015 - .020 FWIW all other lobes look good.

I do have one option on the table: Buy my brothers 20k mile 04 GTO stock drop out complete engine pan to fuel rails for $1500 and sell what I have thats good (everything except crank and rods). I like this option because its quick and easy to get my car going again but I'm not liking the idea of all the work selling 20 random parts, boxing, shipping etc.

Any other ideas?????
Old 05-01-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd take door #1 and run with it unless you want to spend more time and a lot more money rebuilding what you got. Your not gonna really have a lot of parts to sell off your engine except the block and heads unless you have a LS6 intake.

Just do it

Re'
Old 05-01-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

what causes the bearings to do this???
Old 05-01-2010, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
what causes the bearings to do this???
Several things can cause this but it all comes down to oil at the rings. Either too little oil or bad quality oil. Not like bad quality as in cheap walmart oil, but like oil with water in it. What happens is the oil is less effective and the bearings see more friction and get very hot, eventually they will start to stick to the part they are supposed to slide along and they become worn and dislodge. Had I not stopped the engine as soon as I could, it would have likely thrown a rod and destroyed just about everything, cam, block, heads and all.

In my case I am blaming it on the way I drive, not that I drive it hard, but that I drive it only a few miles a day. Overnight condensation forms inside your engine much like it does on your lawn. Most of the time its very little and gets burned away as the engine heats up. For my short drive the engine never really has time to heat up enough to fully burn it away. So when I recently did an oil change I got a bunch of sludge coming out. Water mixed with the oil to make a thick foamy mixture. This stuff tends to not all run out when you pull a drain plug but sticks to the interior surfaces of the block, the heads where the springs are, etc. New oil going in the engine has nice healthy solvents that clean this stuff off. In doing so this sludge once again is in your oil. And a within a hundred miles later I start hearing a tapping. Thats my theory at least. So from now on I'm going to make sure I get my engine up to full operating temp a few times a week.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

How many miles on it?