Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped Rod Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to any real engine builder and they will say the same that I have. You can do alot of wrong thing on a engine that "will work" but there is a proper way of doing things.
But you can do whatever you want, I'm just telling you the real proper way.

Last edited by bigboykilroy; 05-05-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
Talk to any real engine builder and they will say the same that I have. You can do alot of wrong thing on a engine that "will work" but there is a proper way of doing things.
"Real engine builder"? Like who? You think you know me well enough to say I am not a "real engine builder"?

How about ARP? That's what their instructions say to do; hone out .002" and order the appropriate bearing. Is that the wrong way that just happens to work, or is the right way to take off the jagged surface that makes these rods so strong? Or are you proposing that you can't resize them, so don't even worry what happens when you swap in stronger aftermarket bolts. Is that the proper way?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:44 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by bww3588
i just bought clevite bearings for .002 over and standard crank pin.

again, i love the people who dont know what they are talking about, but flaunt it anyways like they do. no reason a cracked rod cant be resized.
No kidding? I ordered a set in '05 I think, and I was told they were all for undersizes. That's pretty cool.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
No kidding? I ordered a set in '05 I think, and I was told they were all for undersizes. That's pretty cool.
ill address this before i add to your statment making him look stupid....

i searched and searched and searched for bearings and couldnt find any for a stock crank pin, but i talked to Jon@HKE and he hooked me up with them...ill get the PN for you out of my PM box here in a second....
Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

I'm not talking about bearings, im talking of if its wise/proper practice to resize cracked rods.
Call ARP right now and they will tell you the same about the GM cracked rods.
Call Katech and ask them.
Do what you want man I aint your mama.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

But you can do whatever you want, I'm just telling you the real proper way.
do enlighten us on the proper way to resize a cracked rod? since you know everything.

just for the record, at school (UNOH High Performance Motorsports Program) it is in every book and every manual for machining we have to hone the rods out and use an oversized bearing. also, ive talked to 3 instructers that teach the custom engine building class and they agree with me.

there is a proper way to do everything, non PM rods you grind the cap down then resize to stock spec, PM cracked rods, you hone it out .002 and use the approiate bearing. simple as that.

if your telling us the "real proper way" the only explination i can get out of your mess of posts is to throw rod bolts in it and leave it. but remember...."You can do alot of wrong thing on a engine that "will work" but there is a proper way of doing things."

stop shooting yourself in the foot before you bleed to death.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Since you like to sit on the computer all day long and not actually work, do a search and see what most will say about seizing cracked rods.

If you use Katech bolts it does not distort the rod, using ARP's "can" per APR give then a call.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Call ARP right now and they will tell you the same about the GM cracked rods.
Call Katech and ask them.
Do what you want man I aint your mama.
Katech bolts are made to be used without resizing the rods, ARP bolts are made to be used in resized rods.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Cat...talog_0033.pdf

pay special attention to step 5 and the blue boxes. also, step #4 in the second section of the page. i dont have to call ARP, they tell me right on the page.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Since you like to sit on the computer all day long and not actually work, do a search and see what most will say about seizing cracked rods.

If you use Katech bolts it does not distort the rod, using ARP's "can" per APR give then a call.
done....see what search gets you?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
here is the P/N CB1776P

bearings are hard to find exactly what you are looking for sometimes. i put that number into a search on yahoo and it just came up "bearing +.002" but didnt say anything about the I/D. i find it really hard to drop money on something that has a vauge description. Jon@HKE clarified that for me.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:05 PM
12 Second Club

why would you send money to have the stock rods resided, when the $ could be put to better already sized rods.
because the machine shop charged me 40 bucks to resize my rods. find me a set of already sized rods for 40 bucks.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

i dont have to search, if you do search, you will find me arguing in most threads. most people will say "it will be ok, everyone else on here does it." but you said it yourself there is a wrong way and a right way, and the right way is to resize them and run oversized bearings. just because people throw the bolts in and it works fine, doesnt mean after so many miles the rods and bearings wont have some degree of abnormal wear that they wouldnt get "properly" installing the rod bolts.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

i see you already started digging up my old arguments...i saw you looking at this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...now-later.html

as you can see, most people agree with me, and the ones that dont said **** it, it will be fine. which is not the "proper" way as you would say.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

your right, it doesnt say anything about cracked rods, it doesnt specifically state any style of rods. it clearly says, resizing the rods is reccomended anytime rod bolts are changed. period.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
KCS

here is the P/N CB1776P

bearings are hard to find exactly what you are looking for sometimes. i put that number into a search on yahoo and it just came up "bearing +.002" but didnt say anything about the I/D. i find it really hard to drop money on something that has a vauge description. Jon@HKE clarified that for me.
Yeah, it was Erik that looked them up for me way back when. It's not something you can just find on TSP's website or something, like a 224 cam, LOL.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
Yeah, it was Erik that looked them up for me way back when. It's not something you can just find on TSP's website or something, like a 224 cam, LOL.
well i wouldnt expect it to be, after all, this isint the right way to do it, so why would they sell them???
Old 05-05-2010, 03:52 PM
KCS

well i wouldnt expect it to be, after all, this isint the right way to do it, so why would they sell them???
Haha. I look at it as job security. If they don't spin bearings, well then that's great and I'll be happy for them. If they do puke their guts out all over the track, well that's just more business for us and that helps the economy!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BWW 3588 i been lookin for some clevite bearings to buy for my rods which i will have resized pretty soon cuz im going with ARP 2000 rod bolts. what sponsor is HKE?
Old 05-05-2010, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
Haha. I look at it as job security. If they don't spin bearings, well then that's great and I'll be happy for them. If they do puke their guts out all over the track, well that's just more business for us and that helps the economy!
agreed. but when they do scatter due to not resizing, its always something else. not the fact that they didnt do it "properly" youll never see someone explaining the trashed bottom as "i didnt size my rods and this is what happened" except for me...im guilty. but that was before i knew any better. i was going off misinformation spread about the internet by certian people....

i lost 8 rods and a crank because of that in 1k miles. when i tore it apart i measured the rods and each one was between .002 and .004 out of round. didnt spin a bearing, but it scored the crank and rods pretty good when the bearing wore down in certian spots.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
BWW 3588 i been lookin for some clevite bearings to buy for my rods which i will have resized pretty soon cuz im going with ARP 2000 rod bolts. what sponsor is HKE?
HKE racing engines i beleive...

PM Jon@HKE

that is his screen name. the P/N is in one of my above posts for the .002 o/s o/d rods with a standard crank journal.

its a Clevite bearing, you can get them just about anywhere that sells bearings, its just tough because a lot of the bearings have very vauge descriptions. i sat in front of this computer for hours one night looking for the right bearings, each one i found i thought was right had conflicting information on another site, so i just PM'ed Jon and he hooked me up with them as well as my pistons

Jon is excellent to do business with.