Sponsored by:

Swapped Rod Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by bww3588
agreed. but when they do scatter due to not resizing, its always something else. not the fact that they didnt do it "properly" youll never see someone explaining the trashed bottom as "i didnt size my rods and this is what happened" except for me...im guilty. but that was before i knew any better. i was going off misinformation spread about the internet by certian people....

i lost 8 rods and a crank because of that in 1k miles. when i tore it apart i measured the rods and each one was between .002 and .004 out of round. didnt spin a bearing, but it scored the crank and rods pretty good when the bearing wore down in certian spots.
I wonder if that's where the whole "only one bolt at a time" came from when swapping these bolts. That concept never made any sense to me.

That sucks to learn the hard way, but it sucks worse if you don't learn at all. At least you're in the former category and not the latter.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:08 PM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

HKE racing engines i beleive...

PM Jon@HKE

that is his screen name. the P/N is in one of my above posts for the .002 o/s o/d rods with a standard crank journal.

its a Clevite bearing, you can get them just about anywhere that sells bearings, its just tough because a lot of the bearings have very vauge descriptions. i sat in front of this computer for hours one night looking for the right bearings, each one i found i thought was right had conflicting information on another site, so i just PM'ed Jon and he hooked me up with them as well as my pistons

Jon is excellent to do business with.
I think they just go by HK Enterprises.

99 Blue Bird, Jon is a good guy, as well as all of the other guys working there. Erik Koenig is the owner, and he goes by racer7088 here on 'tech, and just about every other site he is a member.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
I wonder if that's where the whole "only one bolt at a time" came from when swapping these bolts. That concept never made any sense to me.

That sucks to learn the hard way, but it sucks worse if you don't learn at all. At least you're in the former category and not the latter.
i dont know how that works either. i imagine thats how a lot of people are getting away with it because if your not allowing the cap to shift on the jagged edges of the parting line, then it should stay. problem is, thats not where the problems come from. the problems come from the stronger rod bolts clamping it down tighter and distorting it. .003 is not a lot in the real world, but in an engine its a mile. and if you think about it, there could very easily be .003 worth of room for the cap to shift once it is tightened harder with the ARP bolts, not only that, but the metal itself could distort some as well leaving the parting surfaces in exactly the same spot.

it just makes me sleep better at night knowing the cap may have shifted or whatever, but they are honed out correctly countering that distortion.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

Found this:

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
You simply do not just crack open rods, fiddle with them and put it back together. Bearings are seated on the crank journal and should not be displaced unless by some magic you can repalce them at the same exact location they were before. Put your crank journals and bearing under a microscope and you'll understand what I mean.
Not sure I agree with the statement that bearings "seat" on the journals, at least not to a significant extent. These aren't piston rings. I know for a fact that you can reuse bearings after you fiddle with them.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Found this:

Not sure I agree with the statement that bearings "seat" on the journals, at least not to a significant extent. These aren't piston rings. I know for a fact that you can reuse bearings after you fiddle with them.
seems feasable to me, however, PredZ is pretty knowlegable, i just dont agree with the "do one bolt at a time theory"
Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
BTW, I think the ARP 2000 rod bolts are supposed to be 45ft-lbs since it's the stronger alloy. I think the 8740 (the black bolts) torque to 40ft-lbs. You can double check your part number on ARP's website for recommended torque values.
Sorry (smacks forehead)

i didnt mention the part # / specifics

its the ARP Cracked rod "Pro" it had the number 2000 on the bolt head.

but the part number was 113-234-6301 which according to ARP are the ones that are torqued to 40 ft-lbs, with ARP lube to get them to strech .0064 "

P/N 113-134-6006, is torqued to 45 ft-lbs with ARP lube to get them to strech .0055 "
Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 PM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

seems feasable to me, however, PredZ is pretty knowlegable, i just dont agree with the "do one bolt at a time theory"
I don't think he's the type to regurgitate BS engine theory either, but I'd have to see the evidence to buy that one. Worth looking into I guess.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
KCS

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RRhodes1
Sorry (smacks forehead)

i didnt mention the part # / specifics

its the ARP Cracked rod "Pro" it had the number 2000 on the bolt head.

but the part number was 113-234-6301 which according to ARP are the ones that are torqued to 40 ft-lbs, with ARP lube to get them to strech .0064 "

P/N 113-134-6006, is torqued to 45 ft-lbs with ARP lube to get them to strech .0055 "
OK good. Sorry to hijack the thread BTW.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
No Worries
Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Good discussion here though.