Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is backfireing up through the intake at high rpms???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is backfireing up through the intake at high rpms???

I have a 99 T/A with a built motor big cam turbo 400 nitrous car 300 hit.. I am totally lost as to why this problem is occuring. Down low the car runs great all the way through first gear right until im about to shift in to second (6500 or so rpms),, Then boom a back fire and the car shuts down. Ive checkd plug gap fuel pressure, pushrods broken valve springs. pulled the intake off no cracks nothing seems to be wrong.. Does anyone have any ideas or has had the same sort of issue.. This is occuring both on motor and on the spray. Thanks for all the help
Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how was the cam lined up? Was there any advance ground into the cam? It kinda sounds like the valve is floating on you at high rpm. do you have hy lifters or solid ? if adjustable rockers what lash do you have it set at? Is there a RPM limiter of any sort as well? Not assuing just gathering info here.

Last edited by bigboykilroy; 05-05-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

yeah, you dont have some sort of rpm limiter still in the ecm that could be causing this? fuel cutoff?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
how was the cam lined up? Was there any advance ground into the cam? It kinda sounds like the valve is floating on you at high rpm. do you have hy lifters or solid ? if adjustable rockers what lash do you have it set at? Is there a RPM limiter of any sort as well? Not assuing just gathering info here.
stock lifters rockers and patriot gold double springs, I have no idead about the cam stuff i bought the car already set up.. rpm limiter is at 68 im shifting way before that..
Old 05-05-2010, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjustable rockers? Can you change the RPM limit to say 7500 and see what it does? Just to take that out of the equation. shift at 6500 and rev at 6800 is close. Do you happen to have any video of it doing it?
Are you using all stock pcm, ignition, external retard, crank trigger etc. If you have a HP Tuners File or LS1 edit post it up sp we can have a look at it, to see if its possible someting in there.