Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1-LS6 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1-LS6 Conversion

If you have a factory LS6 block in your Camaro with the LS6 intake ('02) and then you add the Conversion Package from Pace, can you advertise that you have a legitimate LS6 engine? I know that you would need to upgrade the exhaust manifolds to take advantage of the additional power but would you have a legitimate LS6?
Old 01-09-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackbowtie02
If you have a factory LS6 block in your Camaro with the LS6 intake ('02) and then you add the Conversion Package from Pace, can you advertise that you have a legitimate LS6 engine? I know that you would need to upgrade the exhaust manifolds to take advantage of the additional power but would you have a legitimate LS6?
Good question. I'd love to advertise an LS6 engine if I did the conversion (I have the LS6 block too).
Old 01-09-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not really, as you won't have the ls6 internals, and such.

but if you wanted to tell your friends it is ls6 powered, you would not be lying so to speak.

Ryan.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:14 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

who cares about having a legitimate ls6 when for the money of the pace kit you can have a h/c package that'll kick the **** out of the ls6.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrp
who cares about having a legitimate ls6 when for the money of the pace kit you can have a h/c package that'll kick the **** out of the ls6.
what he said. i **** guys off in 02-03 Z06's that are 40 in my WS6 driven by a 19 yr old.....the look on their face is priceless though
Old 01-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

people always try to belittle the LS6 upgrade. I'd like to see another cam out there that sells for $185 and gives 30+ hp.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:53 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by rickws6
people always try to belittle the LS6 upgrade. I'd like to see another cam out there that sells for $185 and gives 30+ hp.
yah, from 6k+. i dont know about you but i like more under the curve power from cam swap rather then a peak gain :shrug:
Old 01-10-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

A significant part of the original question was "can you advertise that you have a legitimate LS6 engine?" Someone touched on the answer by mentioning there are other internal differences. When I see a Z06 cruise by I immediately think ~405 (+'02). Most educated car people understand that the current LS6 means a very powerful engine. If you were to run a simple LS6 badge on your car (maybe on the left side above the tailight- no hp number) and a Cobra cruises up behind you, he would probably know immediately what kind of power you were putting to the ground. Sure, you could build up the LS1 to crush the Cobra, but the LS6 badge (without running an advertised hp number) conveys instantly to the guy behind you what they're dealing with.

But apparently, without the other internals of the LS6, if you were to advertise that you had an LS6, you would simply be posing.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JaysZ
A significant part of the original question was "can you advertise that you have a legitimate LS6 engine?" Someone touched on the answer by mentioning there are other internal differences. When I see a Z06 cruise by I immediately think ~405 (+'02). Most educated car people understand that the current LS6 means a very powerful engine. If you were to run a simple LS6 badge on your car (maybe on the left side above the tailight- no hp number) and a Cobra cruises up behind you, he would probably know immediately what kind of power you were putting to the ground. Sure, you could build up the LS1 to crush the Cobra, but the LS6 badge (without running an advertised hp number) conveys instantly to the guy behind you what they're dealing with.

But apparently, without the other internals of the LS6, if you were to advertise that you had an LS6, you would simply be posing.
Sounds like a RICE move 2 me...just show him how the tail lites get smaller and smaller...we don't need no stinkin badges ..just own his ***
Old 01-11-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

why do you want to advertize ls6? i mean i would much rather say i have an ls1 and have someone in a z06 so oh well i have a ls6 tahts better blah blah blah and then you go show them whats up. its not about what kinda engine it is, its how its build IMO
Old 01-11-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

if you have the ls6 block and intake wont you need heads, springs, valves, pushrods, crank, pistons, ect? cause the ls6 is a light weight motor right? and all the internals are different and lighter weight? at least thast what i thought correct me if im wrong please
Old 01-11-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slt200mph
...just show him how the tail lites get smaller and smaller...we don't need no stinkin badges ..just own his ***
Yeah, that would always be the preferable way to go but not always possible- traffic, safety, cops, etc. And in the meantime, the '03 Cobra pulls up beside you and he's screwing with you cause the dumbass thinks you have a stock f-body. I mean, don't we all look at the GT badges and the Cobra badges? And don't the GTs look at the SS badges? I don't see too many people tearing off the Z28 & SS badges (& the Z06 badges- speaking of LS6). Maybe we should all really de-badge and only go with the exhaust note and the blower whine to tell the difference.
Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
if you have the ls6 block and intake wont you need heads, springs, valves, pushrods, crank, pistons, ect? cause the ls6 is a light weight motor right? and all the internals are different and lighter weight? at least thast what i thought correct me if im wrong please
I think you've finally answered the question. It would take a lot more to build a real LS6 than a Pace conversion package.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JaysZ
Yeah, that would always be the preferable way to go but not always possible- traffic, safety, cops, etc. And in the meantime, the '03 Cobra pulls up beside you and he's screwing with you cause the dumbass thinks you have a stock f-body. I mean, don't we all look at the GT badges and the Cobra badges? And don't the GTs look at the SS badges? I don't see too many people tearing off the Z28 & SS badges (& the Z06 badges- speaking of LS6). Maybe we should all really de-badge and only go with the exhaust note and the blower whine to tell the difference.
I think you've finally answered the question. It would take a lot more to build a real LS6 than a Pace conversion package.
If ur car came with some sort badging wear i proudly if that's ur thing...the first badge that won anything has not been built yet...adding badges and decals is pure rice.. ....we still don't need no stinkin badges!!
Old 01-11-2004, 11:23 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If my car came with an Ls6 block (and it very well may have one), and I was faced with the amount of labor required to convert it to a full Ls6 engine (Heads/ Cam swap being the main task at hand), I'd use that labor for the following:

224 or greater cam
Stg II heads

My personal preference would be TSP231/237 cam + Patriot Stage II Ls6 style heads.
With this combo 440-460 rwhp is at hand.
This would literally run circles around the proposed Ls6 conversion for the same amount of labor.

But I can see how an Ls6 conversion would appeal from a more conservative and practical viewpoint. Just want to sketch out the possibilities.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:41 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
If my car came with an Ls6 block (and it very well may have one), and I was faced with the amount of labor required to convert it to a full Ls6 engine (Heads/ Cam swap being the main task at hand), I'd use that labor for the following:

224 or greater cam
Stg II heads

My personal preference would be TSP231/237 cam + Patriot Stage II Ls6 style heads.
With this combo 440-460 rwhp is at hand.
This would literally run circles around the proposed Ls6 conversion for the same amount of labor.

But I can see how an Ls6 conversion would appeal from a more conservative and practical viewpoint. Just want to sketch out the possibilities.
ya, but even a mild conservative h/c package would still out power the conversion; some PP 5.3's and a comps 216/220, TR220, B1, GT2-3 and you have a daily driveable setup and still put out 400rwhp.